Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wall mural

Discussion in 'Portfolio Board' started by d fleming, Nov 12, 2009.

1. d fleming

d fleming Very Active Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Middleburg, Florida
    Just got this one up in the lobby for our local pearlevision center. Phototex in 4 panels. Gotta love how easy this product is to install.

Attached Files:

• eyes.jpg
      eyes.jpg
      File size:
      138.4 KB
      Views:
    Tags:
  2. rcook99

rcook99 Very Active Member

May 25, 2006
    NE
    What printer did you print the photo Tex with?

3. d fleming

Nov 28, 2007
    Middleburg, Florida
    We get it from Fellers. Their catalog price for 54"x100' is .84 psf.
    If you need it printed I would be happy to provide you with a quote. It's by far one of the easiest products we've used for murals, elevator doors, short term exterior glass, even backlights fairly well. Removal is grab and peel, no residue left behind.

4. GP

GP Very Active Member

Dec 12, 2007
    SC
    Looks great. How big is the total panel?

GP

5. That is sick!!!

Great job d! What machine?

6. d fleming

Nov 28, 2007
    Middleburg, Florida

Seiko 64s

7. d fleming

Nov 28, 2007
    Middleburg, Florida
    Sure, be glad to. Can send a sample of the phototex at same time so you can contrast/compare for yourself.

8. d fleming

Nov 28, 2007
    Middleburg, Florida
    8'x13' total size.

9. DeeHutch

DeeHutch Member

Jul 20, 2007
    Knoxville, TN
    Is that wall painted with a flat paint or a glossy? I've been using Oracal's 3268 I believe it is and it's VERY tempermental.

If you apply it to dry wall with flat paint, it curls. Not so much on glossy paint though.

So basically, what's your thoughts or experiences with the Photo Tex? I'm going to have to switch from the Oracal.

10. ZsVinylInc

ZsVinylInc Member

Mar 13, 2009

I have also recently tried some of Oracals 3628 on my daughters nursery recently on gloss paint. I tried a full bleed and it seems that the edges after a couple of days started to curl some. Might have to try and this Photo Tex Stuff.

11. d fleming

Nov 28, 2007
    Middleburg, Florida
    Phototex is made for walls. The wall in the pic was your basic flat painted sheetrock wall. It does not curl on the edges, is removable with no residue and fairly easy to install. I've even put it on brick walls with great success as well as glass. It can last a few months outside on glass, brick and stucco and is a good option for short term outdoor window graphics. It has a matte finish.

12. insignia

insignia Very Active Member

Have you ever laminated the Phototex with a pressure-sensitive laminate? They say you shouldn't, just curious if it works or not.

13. d fleming

Nov 28, 2007
    Middleburg, Florida
    I haven't, one of the things I like about it is the matte finish and I'm not a huge fan of spray on or liquid lams.

14. Craig Sjoquist

Craig Sjoquist Major Contributor

Jun 18, 2004
    Orlando
    So did you take the picture or have one took ?
    is the water created using a art program or a template ?
    did you put it together or was it supplied ?
    how long did the project take ?
    did you have help ?
    did use the big squeegee ?
    vertical panels ?

15. Adam Bennett

Adam Bennett Member

May 10, 2007
    I've heard that PSA laminates will make it curl

16. d fleming

Nov 28, 2007
    Middleburg, Florida
    So did you take the picture or have one took ?
    Shot it with my digital.

is the water created using a art program or a template ?
    did you put it together or was it supplied ?
    Customer supplied file @ 2" and 300 dpi, blown, ripped, cropped and chopped to 13" using signlab.

how long did the project take ?
    Once the order was in two days.

did you have help ?
    1 shoprat for install could have been done with one person but much better and easier with 2.

did use the big squeegee ?
    No, don't own one. Can't imagine trying to hit a seam on a wall with it. Looks like a great tool for some things though.

vertical panels ?
    Yes.

17. ashleighfiddler

ashleighfiddler Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Hey everyone, I'm a huge fan of phototex. We've done 2 projects with it in the last 2 weeks. I'm printing with a Roland Versart 640 and i've noticed that the ink is kind of touchy even after a few days of drying. For example the prints seemed to get scuffed easily during handling and during application we couldn't use a squeegee as it would scrape the surface visibly. The sensitivity of the ink is the only drawback to this awesome material in my opinion though. Has anyone else had this issue and if so any advice on correcting it??

thanks!

18. d fleming

Nov 28, 2007
    Middleburg, Florida
    You may be getting too much ink on your media.
    I use a felt squeegee, not felt covered and my hands with white gloves. Or even a clean sock:Big Laugh.

19. ashleighfiddler

ashleighfiddler Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Austin, TX
    ok, good point... thank you. we installed with our hands and it didn't transfer much at all but I'll try a different profile. I'm using Versaworks Solvent Satin Canvas profile and printing on standard speed.... Anyone with a better suggestion? thanks!

20. SurfaceSigns

SurfaceSigns Member

Jan 3, 2009
    Surrey, BC Canada
    Nice job mate.

I haven't had a chance to look at Phototex product yet, as no one in Western Canada seems to carry it, and the distributor in Ontario wants $1.39 a sqft for a 54"x100' roll, quite a premium over the price in the US. Anyone know of a decent distributor located in the Pacific Northwest that carries this product at a decent price?