Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wanting to build a new table...

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by Knep, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Knep

Knep Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Indidna
    I want to do atleast a 4x8, really 4x16...what kind of surface should I use so that I can use a Big Squeegee to laminate smaller stuff till I get a Laminator?

Thanks for any info :)

Mike

Tags:
  2. Jim Doggett

Jim Doggett Very Active Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Thick, clear(ish) PVC is the bomb. We sold it when I was with Yellotools (www.yellotools.com) and it is on a roll so you can go seamless to 4' x 16'. You can also print a grid to go under and then flip the mat when it wears (years of life on each side).

Yellotools USA might be able to fix you up. http://www.yellotools.us/shop/index.php?cPath=41_34

3. HaroldDesign

HaroldDesign Very Active Member

Aug 16, 2007
    As flat as possible. Look into any local companies that are getting rid of layout tables (steel or otherwise). That may be overkill, but would be perfect if you can get them on the cheap.

4. dasnootz

dasnootz Member

Jun 28, 2010
    I'm in the process of building a new table now myself. I'm leaning toward using MDF. I'm going with 18' long, but doing it as an 8' table and a separte 8' table that's 2' away. When I need the full 18' I can put a 2' insert down to bridge the gap, but it will allow me to not have to walk around the entire table if I have to answer the phone, grab something from the other side, etc.. I got the idea from another sign shop. When you're not using the full 18', you have two separate 8' work stations, which is great if you have an employee or partner... or you can have two different 8' projects set up at the same time.

I like MDF because it's so dense and heavy. It won't move when I'm putting in gromits. Plus you can route the edges down so it's not sharp if you have to pull banner or vinyl over the edge.

5. Pat Whatley

Pat Whatley Major Contributor

Sep 29, 2003
    Wetumpka, AL
    We currently have three tables. A 4x8, a 4x16, and a 4x24 that are currently covered with Upson board (don't ask, you don't want it). I'm going to rebuild them all in January to better serve what we do now.

I'm replacing the plywood top on the 4x8 with a 1/2" teflon cutting block ($70 and will last forever).

The 4' x 16' that will primarilly be used for mounting and laminating is going to get two sheets of 3/4" mdf. The stuff is as flat as you can get, I plan on mounting them then fiberglass filling the seam and sanding it smooth.

The 4x24 will get recovered with 1/2" black ABS plastic, mainly because it looks cool as snot, won't warp, and will look cool as snot.

6. threads1

threads1 Member

Jan 31, 2009
    Ocean City, Maryland
    I just built 2 - 4 x 8's with 1/2" glass tops and on rollers. The glass is the bomb if you want to pay. It's tempered and a stainless blade wont scratch it if you don't bear down real hard. With the rollers, I get the 16' when butted together and out of the way when I need room for a vehicle.

7. phototec

phototec Very Active Member

May 23, 2008
    Belton
    I wish Signs101 had a resource section

Man, I really wish Signs101 had a resource section, you know, like a shop production section broken down by items like shop tables, vinyl racks, vinyl application ideas, etc. If someone was interested in building a shop table, they could go to that section, and it would have nothing but photos and or drawings showing different shop table and how to build them.

Like this site:

http://www.binkyswoodworking.com/

I would even volunteer to create down-loadable PDF data sheets of each project, like the attached pdf file.

Jon

Attached Files:

8. anotherdog

anotherdog Very Active Member

Sep 6, 2008
    I too have to build a couple of 4x8 and 5x10 tables myself. I have built them in the past but after a few years they always warp. Anyone have some good table plans?

9. Mosh

Mosh Major Contributor

Oct 19, 2009
    Nerbaska
    Go 5x10 at least and put a cutting board on top. No questions asked!

10. artbot

artbot Very Active Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Houston TX
    i've got 4 5x5 tables that i call "hover tables" similar to giant air hockey tables. like a omnidirectional lazy susan.

although that set up has worked well for positioning sheets for polishing etc, my next try is to build two 5x10 aluminum rotisserie tables. so i can tilt the work toward me. clear coating large sheets is a pain because i can't ever seem to evenly spray the last foot of the sheet. and you just can walk over or spin the last part.

11. Sticker Dude

Sticker Dude Member

Mar 26, 2006
    Florida

That would be an awesome section Lets work on that guys and gals!!!

12. davidcarr87

davidcarr87 Member

Aug 17, 2010
    has anyone started a poll yet??
    i vote yes!! :p

13. Rising

Rising Member

Oct 22, 2009

Jim That looks excellent, dont know the actual product material name do you? Would like to find it here in UK

Steve

14. Jim Doggett

Jim Doggett Very Active Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Hi Steve,

CuttingMat Crytsal is what they call it in Germany. Not sure about UK dealers, but they have English-speakers in the Windeck office:

info@yellotools.com
    http://www.signmaking-superstore.de/shop/index.php/language/en/cat/c34_Cutting-Mats.html
    +49 (0) 22 92–921 928

Good luck. It really is a wonderful cutting surface. No blade-steer, self-healing and the graduated "shore" (spelling?) provides the perfect blade penetration. Cutting is just so smooth and easy. And it's seamless up to pretty remarkable sizes.

Best,

Jim

15. shakey0818

shakey0818 Active Member

Aug 12, 2010
  16. Brandon708

Brandon708 Very Active Member

Sep 22, 2009
    Orland Park, IL
    That looks like a great product. Are those prices per liner foot in US Dollar prices?

anyone use this matt?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  17. ChiknNutz

ChiknNutz Major Contributor

Apr 18, 2003
    I built a 4x8 and 5x10 out of standard lumber, the tops done in 1/2" or 5/8" thick plywood. I then bought LDPE (low-density polyethylene) cutting mats that are commonly sold at sign supply places to cover them with, worked well.

18. SameDay Signs

SameDay Signs Member

Oct 20, 2010
    tiffin ohio
    I would suggest building atleast a 5' wide table. I always worked on a 4 footer but having the extra 1' is great to have a little more room

19. MetroSigns

MetroSigns New Member

Nov 12, 2010
    @Pat: Any chance of getting pics of your tables? I would like to see how they are made.

20. TheSellOut

TheSellOut Very Active Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Here is a 5x10 that I just built pretty much out of scraps from around the shop. I put 3 2x4 light fixtures in it and covered it with a piece of glass that I got from a storefront that replaced all their windows. It's not tempered but it's doing the trick for free for now! If I get a chance here soon I will try and set up some building plans for it. The light table really comes in handy!

Attached Files: