• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

We lost a member

Steve C.

I didn't know him well, but shared a few pm's with him. He seemed like a
really nice fellow. He will be missed. RIP Jimmy.

iSign

I am saddened by this news, and extend my sympathy to the Carl family.

While the loss to his friends and loved ones is paramount, and my thoughts here pale by comparison, I need to address something that makes this even more difficult news for me, knowing I will never meet the man at a Signs101 meet & greet.

Some members here will have noticed some challenges Jim and I faced together. Most would not have. In Signs101's short foray into internal politics, Jim and I experienced situations where we found ourselves at odds over proposed policies or preferences.
This of course is normal, and speaking passionately about those differing views is integral to the fundamental basis of democratic government.

The challenges were for each of us to work hard to sell our differing ideas to the Organizing Committee, without losing sight of our common role, in volunteering our time to explore the future of Signs101, for every members benefit, as partners, working on the same team.

Speaking for myself, I came up short in recognizing this important fact at times, and for that I deeply regret not rising further above our differences, while I take some solace in the knowledge that all our differences ended with the end of the Organizing Committee.

There is one important thing I've learned in 10 years of participation on sign forums, during which time I've had the pleasure to meet well over 100 sign folks I knew from various forums.

Sadly, it is much easier to sense a disconnect with another human being you have never met, possibly lingering for some time. Yet, in my experience with several individuals I've later met in person, there has been an instant recognition of mutual respect for another person standing in front of you.

I feel that Jim and I never lost our sense of mutual respect, but I wish we could have seen that in each others eyes one day & felt it in a hearty handshake between two sign men, who shared a common chapter of service to this industry.

Deaton Design

I did a search on Jim and noticed that on about every post from a new member, he always gave them a welcome. That in itself showed his character.
I get so sad when we lose someone from here, because it feels like a family member. Every day we get on here and discuss things, ask for advice, talk about everything under the sun, just like you would with someone standing right next to you. My condolences to his family. Bless your heart Jim...