• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Website design question

Pat Whatley

C

ColoPrinthead

Nothing like a bunch of pissed off printers. This has been the highlight of my afternoon, thanks folks!

tsgstl

How so? I actually had an awful experience using that service. which is neither here nor there, but what do you mean? I simply explained to the one designer that had a usable logo that I was getting feedback from people about this or that aspect.

The idea about making the I in the icon the I in impact was my design idea.

It's ok though, I am the devil now and a POS. Got it, thanks.

This was your comment from that site:
March 7, 2012 1:54 PM jkdbjj
Project Holder
First time using Logo Guru. Overall a good experience. Thanks to all the designers. If I could afford to donate to each of you I would, so lease accept my thanks.

Good luck in your future designs. I will be submitting more projects, so keep looking for more.

Your still lieing
To us or "the kids" not sure which is worse

HulkSmash

hmmmm?

How so? I actually had an awful experience using that service. which is neither here nor there, but what do you mean? I simply explained to the one designer that had a usable logo that I was getting feedback from people about this or that aspect.

Interesting...

Project Holder
First time using Logo Guru. Overall a good experience. Thanks to all the designers. If I could afford to donate to each of you I would, so lease accept my thanks.

Good luck in your future designs. I will be submitting more projects, so keep looking for more.

You're lies are just about as lame as your childish insults and name calling.

jkdbjj

hmmmm?

Interesting...

You're lies are just about as lame as your childish insults and name calling.
This is simply nitpicking and cherry picking, takin stuff out of context.

1st when I ended that project, with the one person I had had an OK experience til then. Not that it is any of your business, but then the host site charged me for something I shouldn't have been charged for and is still dodging me with BS.

Initially I thought the site could be useful for small businesses like mine that can't afford a design staff, that I could outsource some work to depending on what it was. Because of the late development with the parent company there, I wouldn't do business with them anymore.

So, it is easy for you all to sit back and weave your own stories, but you are joining me in looking like a jerk when you do such things.

Bottom line, the service was terrible, but the concept I happen to think is good for budding designers that have real talent. The minimum entry fee was 199.00
If I were an intentional cheap skate low life as some of you are saying, I wouldn't have paid what I did and stuck with the minimum entry fee.

I even gave one other designer a donation that tried multiple time to submit a workable idea.

If Jill here feels I owe her more then a thank you, I'd be glad to pay her something. However, she gave great advice and I never once thought I was trying to take advantage of her, until you painted the picture that way.
I have already said I am sorry, and I already said I can see how it looks, but at the end of the day I know what I did and didn't do, and I know my intentions towards this community and Jill and all others are good.

End of story.

Jillbeans

Jill didn't come up with it all by herself, she used what I had already and put a fresh spin on it. To which I am grateful and have expressed that to her.

Actually, I used Pat Whatley's suggestion.
Your (or whoever did it) design was really bad.
I would never, ever have used it for any sort of inspiration.

jkdbjj

Actually, I used Pat Whatley's suggestion.
Your (or whoever did it) design was really bad.
I would never, ever have used it for any sort of inspiration.
I stand corrected, I remember that now. You even mentioned you liked Pat's swoosh better. Sorry about that.

ucmj22

So anyway...... to the original question, if you have photoshop, use the save for web command. makes tiny files compared to the quality. I usually use the save for web jpg. other than that, use a java, or jquery slide show. they are nice and fast. Used them on my new site.

ucmj22

Oh! And I know that no one will ever notice or use this feature, so I'll tell you about it. If you ad one of my pages to your home screen on an iPad or iPhone, it automatically uses my logo for the icon :D

visual800

I have to ask a question here. Regardless of what art was used for or who said or didnt say what...alot of people still did some art and posted it using their time and they got paid nothing. These are same people that scream about not doing free art for any clients.

If your gonna charge a client $250 art fee but you gonna get on the web and do free art...whats the point? I saw this guys post but I didnt sit down and crank out a couple logos for him. Therefore I dodnt have to bash him now for taking my logos I did for nothing and possibly making something off them

Theres my 2 cents

MatthewTimothy

The idea about making the I in the icon the I in impact was my design idea.

It's ok though, I am the devil now and a POS. Got it, thanks.

Project Holder

Your still lieing
To us or "the kids" not sure which is worse

you know coming from some I could see a possible error in your part with a major misleading in regards to your logo. I am one to always give someone a second chance to see their ways, but dude, you just clearly lied right there. You posted on the site it was a good experience but you post on here it wasnt??? Sorry man, that is a flat out lie. You either did or didnt... Good luck :noway:

Joe Diaz

I have to ask a question here. Regardless of what art was used for or who said or didnt say what...alot of people still did some art and posted it using their time and they got paid nothing. These are same people that scream about not doing free art for any clients.

If your gonna charge a client $250 art fee but you gonna get on the web and do free art...whats the point? I saw this guys post but I didnt sit down and crank out a couple logos for him. Therefore I dodnt have to bash him now for taking my logos I did for nothing and possibly making something off them

Theres my 2 cents
There is a huge difference between doing free art for clients, and helping other designers and sign makers by participating in forums like these.

Giving away art to clients for free perpetuates the misconception that design has no value. This hurts our industry as a whole.

While on the other hand, helping other designers improve their design work, by giving pointers, tips and yes even examples of what could be done, while at the same time "screaming" about not giving away your services to your client, helps by filling our ranks with professionals that value the services we provide.

Why do you think so many on here demand to see any member who is asking for design help to first post up their attempt at the design project in question? So to understand why people were upset: In jkdbjj case, he posted up a few layouts, at first implying that they were his designs. The good people of this forum wanted to help by sharing their expertise most likely thinking they were helping out one of their own. In reality they were participating in a project that involved crowd sourcing, which most of us think is bad for our industry.

Initially I thought the site could be useful for small businesses like mine that can't afford a design staff, that I could outsource some work to depending on what it was. Because of the late development with the parent company there, I wouldn't do business with them anymore.
I hope you still don't plan on using other crowd sourcing sites to do this. If you think you made us mad, imagine what's going to happen when your client hires you to do some design work, thinking you are the design professional, then later finds out that you were crowd-sourcing their project to beginner designers. I know I would be mad. This may be a bit harsh, but in my opinion, If you can't "afford" a design staff, perhaps you shouldn't be offering design services to your client. The truth is you probably could afford a design staff, because good designers will not only pay for themselves but will help you make money.

Bottom line, the service was terrible, but the concept I happen to think is good for budding designers that have real talent.
The concept is terrible, Let's try this again: Pretend being in the restaurant business, and your customers come in for a meal. You do all the work in preparing the meal but your customers set the price and will only pay if they think your meal beat out 100s of other restaurants that they visited. Even if you were a new cook or restaurant owner, it still sucks.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.

Theres my 2 cents

Actually, I told the dude my rates if he wanted me to do his work for him in that thread. I will be more than happy to sketch for 2 minutes for just about anyone as I do the same for my customers while we are talking about what he and/or she wants ... I don't charge for that. (stop watches are great for this ... Online Stopwatch) And I especially don't mind helping a fellow designer or artist develop his/her skill ... as we all know from files we have received from 'professional' designers ... they don't learn **** in school.

Will I do their work for them? no. Will I sugar coat my advice to save the feelings of a 'professional' that should know better? no. Do I like seeing people help another person, then take that persons work give it to another person and get the work done at a sub standard rate? no. Will ANYTHING he now ask for help on be answered with a simple question ... "Is this being posted on a crowd source site?" ... yes. Will he get the same flack that addy gets for his worm incident? yes.

It's as simple as that.