• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Weeding

Signsforwhile

all day long....

kn-NT-Pro-A-1P.jpg

Jillbeans

I believe that weeding is a form of torture.
One of my visions of Hell is a place where the sinner will have to weed chrome vynull with their nose for all of eternity.
I usually just use an X-Acto or whatever else is handy.
Love.....Jill

LightHouse

I hated trying to use an exacto. i think when i first started I bought a kit maybe from SW, maybe from fellers that had an xacto handle and what was equvilent to a very large needle. Had it ever since and it works awesome! and you cant get cut from it either.

Edit just found it, its called a vinyl tool kit from SW. its $20 which is slightly over priced, I think you can buy the tool seperate.

http://www.signwarehouse.com/shop/m...&Search=weeding+tool&Search_Type=OR&Offset=25

freehand

My man!

Believe it or not I have found that dental tools work really good for weeding. The thing you want to make sure of is that you are using tools that have been properly sterylized. My sister works in a dental office, and she brings me tools every couple of months. The nice thing about these tools is that there are may different types, and some work better than others, some have rubber grips on them. I am not sure if there is a source for these outside of the dental offices, but you may try one of your local dentist office to see.
Exactly!

Attachments

• weeding tool.jpg
    weeding tool.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 172

Davidson Signs

Okay...you've gotten 25 responses to this but I'll add one more.....a weeding tool. From Grimco, Tubelite, etc. Works wonders.

Oh and welcome

gabagoo

With my first Gerber 4b the dealer supplied us with a Ulano stripping tool which I think is meant for weeding ruby and I have used those ever since. I don't weed very much anymore but the girl who works for me swears by an exacto knife. I have tried them and there not bad except the blade can get stuck in the backing paper at times due to the sharpeness and my lack of skill with them.

nxtremesign

I believe that weeding is a form of torture.
One of my visions of Hell is a place where the sinner will have to weed chrome vynull with their nose for all of eternity.
I usually just use an X-Acto or whatever else is handy.
Love.....Jill

Funny.... Jill, but i love to weed.....not that chrome crap.... but i do like it ,as i can close the door and turn off the noise back there in the shop.. and just weed and clear my head...it relaxes me, but i guess i just a weird one...:Big Laugh

Laboratory17

i use utility knife blades myself. no handle, just the blade

and sometimes x-acto knife

my wife LOVES weeding for some strange reason, so i let her do as much as i can. she has two kinds of tweezers she likes to use, and rarely uses any kind of blade.

then one of my friends comes by sometimes to help out. he loves weeding too. :help:

he prefers utility blades as well.

OneUpTenn

I enjoy weeding too. It is a mindless thoughtless process that has to be done but I enjoy it...at least in fairly small doses.

I use a tool I bought from SW and it is cool because it has padding on it and you can replace the needle part. Which by the way, I mean how often would you need to replace those things anyway.....like every ten years???

csilvia9

Thanks for the advice

Thank you everyone for sharing what tool you like. (Oh and I do have a clue)
Do people find it better to weed centers of letters and such first? I tend to weed from the center of a piece and work my way out. Does anyone dust their vinyl with powder to see the cut better? Someone told me to do this but I'm thinking it's not such a good idea.

Thanks again
Christopher