• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Weeding

cOrKinSA

Thank you everyone for sharing what tool you like. (Oh and I do have a clue)
Do people find it better to weed centers of letters and such first? I tend to weed from the center of a piece and work my way out. Does anyone dust their vinyl with powder to see the cut better? Someone told me to do this but I'm thinking it's not such a good idea.

Thanks again
Christopher
Wow you are new at this!
Powder in a room around multi thousand dollar equiptment, you better take some picks for us.

TheSnowman

Yeah, I think we're way over analyzing weeding. I start at one side, and end at the other. That's how I do it. I think that's how most people do. What you do in between doesn't matter.

Rhino

I always weed from the outside, right to left. x-acto knife. Sometimes, if the wording is really small, I will cut a weed border (bounding box) and tape over that. Then I flip it over, peel off the backing and weed the extra off of the tape.

cOrKinSA

I find weeding top right to left for lettering and left to right for numbers to be the easiest for me.
I just let the vinyl wrap itself around my Thumb-index-middle fingers as I spin it around and as long as your pain in the @ss employees don't come around and choke the vinyl around your forearm you shouldn't have no worries with it sticking to your hair.
How much of a clue do you really have?

ndemond

Yeah, I think we're way over analyzing weeding. I start at one side, and end at the other. That's how I do it. I think that's how most people do. What you do in between doesn't matter.

I always make a cut in the middle and if it is Tuesday I go right and the rest of the week I go left. I rest on Sundays. I used to make my teenagers come in after school and weed for punishment. After a few days they were angels!

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
The Best weeding tool is an X-ACTO with a dull or blunt tip.
New ones are to sharp and stab through the material. The Blunt tip makes a great weeding tool plus you can cut, slice, dice, & separate without taking the time to switch between tools. :wink:

Samm

The Best weeding tool is an X-ACTO with a dull or blunt tip.
New ones are to sharp and stab through the material. The Blunt tip makes a great weeding tool plus you can cut, slice, dice, & separate without taking the time to switch between tools. :wink:

Sharp tip is Perfect for tiny centres though :thumb: Just a bugger when I snap a blade and get a straight edge on it!!!

Bradster941

WoW, am I the only one who uses one of these ?

100 yards in 10 minutes... :thumb:

Attachments

• 31WRs7KNanL__AA280_.jpg
    31WRs7KNanL__AA280_.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 98

Al Checca

Thank you everyone for sharing what tool you like. (Oh and I do have a clue)
Do people find it better to weed centers of letters and such first? I tend to weed from the center of a piece and work my way out. Does anyone dust their vinyl with powder to see the cut better? Someone told me to do this but I'm thinking it's not such a good idea.

Thanks again
Christopher

I agree I weed left to right unless it is numbers then right to left, Never use any powder if you can see the cut lines you can try by throwing it in the freezer, it will shrink it so you can see the cut lines.
It don't matter if you do the centers first or last as long as you pluck them out at some point and time. It can be easier if you place a relief cut between each line of text so you work a smaller area and myself I like to work outside to the inside.

Last edited:

rollerchicken

My preferred tool is a pair of tweezers I got when I bought a set of dental tools at a swap meet. I took the tips to a grinder and made them pointy.