• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

News We're Back Online With Our New Design!

Like our new design? Vote in the poll and post about it...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

ColoPrinthead

I too miss seeing the location of Users. I have no idea how to quote someone or use the seemingly superfluous "multiquote"

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It has me down as following certain people/members........ I have no idea what that means ?? Oh pray tell, what is with all these things. Please tell me there will be some saneness brought back into my life..... or I shall jump off the curb and into the gutter. Oh me...... oh my....... feeling so low right now.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ya can't see who else is on the thread, unless I'm looking in the wrong place for that, too.

Signed Out

Lots of missing features as noted by others above. Maybe the basic forum functions that are missing now are being worked out?

As for the design, I'm kinda blah on it. Hate how spaced out everything is, this is going to break the scroller on my mouse.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
i voted kinda sux, by the time i got to the bottom of this thread I was actually wanting the old one back...

ddarlak

Go Bills!
OK, I just PM'd somebody and I really like the "conversations' feature as opposed to the old PM system.....

starting to grow on me...

Signed Out

I really miss the old, old home page, from a few months ago when it showed all the latest posts instead of the lists of forums.. Also the grid style was very functional, miss that as well, just not as easy to read through anymore. Change for change's sake irritates me though. Kinda like a couple years back when NYS was changing their website up what seemed like every couple months. What a pain in the ass that was, just when you figure some bs out, they go and change everything, for no good reason. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

WildWestDesigns

I did notice one thing, I unchecked get email notifications since there is a notification alert on the top right, didn't think that there needed to be both.

Still getting the emails though and I don't see anything along the lines of "thread settings" to check to make sure that it didn't keep the old email notifications before the switch.

Or I'm looking in the wrong place.

SignsSupport

Support & Tech Administrator
First - I'd say thanks for the feedback. Second - I'll say that one of the reasons some elements seem very unpolished and that there was so much downtime yesterday ... Mainly it was my mistake. Most of the issues I encountered on my own development board server were noted and taken care of so that they would not happen on Paul's server. So I was very encouraged about being able to complete the upgrade and script migration quickly and without issues. Unfortunately during the data transfer - Paul's server through a server at me that I had absolutely no idea how to fix. So there was 7-8 hours of additional downtime that was not planned for, nor even expected.

So - I take full responsibility for the issues that need resolution. But now that the server is just fine, and the XF script is chugging along - I will continue the tasks that were supposed to be completed before the site came online.

I encourage you to be patient and to give the XF script a try. Familiarize yourself with it and you'll eventually agree that it is a superior script and that the upgrade Paul has bought to this community is for the better! Also - PLEASE KEEP YOUR FEEDBACK, SUGGESTIONS AND IDEAS CONSTRUCTIVE!!! For instance. The drawing posted here -- which I will comment below -- while cutesy, does not help me make the site better. Keep it pithy folks. Thanks.

So far, so good, but where are our icons ??
I'm did not know about any icons.
Paul has it on the todo list though - so we'll likely get them re-added.

I love the new look..Amazing great change so far..
Thank you!

Always feels like an there's an air of caution when trying to become comfortable to a new design... This layout is sharp and clean, I voted brilliant!
Thank you. It needs a bit more work because I have not brought all elements online just yet.
It will come together nicely though once things are sorted. I appreciate the feedback. I believe the design to absolutely be an upgrade over the old, clunky vBulletin theme...

Seems pretty zippy when mousing around using Chrome.
Is there a compact view that will cut down the scrolling & work on smaller device screens?
Do we have to leave our shoes at the door to keep from marking up the new carpet?
LOL @ the shoes ... There could be cream carpet to don't track the mud in :p
Actually - the theme *should be* 100% responsive on all of your devices.
I did notice a few issues yesterday that will eventually be corrected. As far as scrolling = Welcome to the mobile internet, where scrolling is simply a fact of life LOL

Anyone else having issues on the front page on mobile? Forums seem fine when I actually go-to them.. But it looks like weird constraints on chrome.mobile. also does the same thing on Firefox.
Yes. I noticed that right away. There was a sidebar added that broke the theme a bit. The new homepage responsive design issues will be fixed sometime in the next several hours. Please let me know if you see any other issues as far as the responsive design is concerned. Thanks for the feedback!

More comments to come...

J.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
There will be the usual getting used to the new format phase...and some don't like changes in their cages.
I would say it looks like it was designed to pander to folks that need glasses or didn't have big screen monitors.
I'm assuming it's to be more Mobile Friendly.

SignsSupport

Support & Tech Administrator
My $0.02
I prefer vbulletin setup. I prefer the classic forum feel.
I liked how the home screen was recent commented threads. I think i found that page after digging around.

Cannot find sub forums??
You don't have to dig around for the homepage. It's on the main domain where it should be: https://signs101.com -- And it has recent thread replies, newest site news announcement posts, and other elements which will show you what's going on in the forums.

Sub-forums are clearly marked on all sections that have sub-forums. You'll find them in the dropdown like so:
signs101-subforums.png

Would it be preferable to you to see the sub-forums actually listed as opposed to the dropdown?

What I did today waiting, posted this on general but I got lost so I will try here. View attachment 123211
Hi @Johnny Best - This drawing is really cutesy. You obviously are quite talented. But that talent hasn't helped me understand what your gripes are.
If you actually have a suggestion or suggestions - Feel free to be as specific with them as you can. I'll appreciate the constructive feedback and criticism. Thanks.

I think it is a nice improvement, but search seems to not be working from an iPad.
Hmmm. I'm not sure about the search @VisualArtsImaging. I know Paul has purchased a premium search modification.
I'll check on the settings a bit later. Thanks for the feedback!

Design looks nice but will take some getting used to by those who've been using the vBulletin look for a long time. Encountered a lot of missing images and broken links. For example, anyone wanting to buy a subscription can't get there for the time being due to broken link. Some titles, such as mine are incorrect.
Yes. I started my first poetry forum on the vB 3.5.4 platform. vBulletin in my opinion started to go downhill when they put vB4 Gold on the market. It was more incomplete and more an unpolished mess than this signs101 upgrade to be perfectly honest. But yes... Folks who have known nothing but the vB platform will most definitely have to familarize themselves with the XF platform. XF is a superior script and hopefully the folks who do prefer the old vBulletin look will come to appreciate what XF has to offer.

There will be a few broken links - I'm working on getting them fixed so that link will redirect to the new XF link format. We don't want signs101 to loose any link juice - so that is going to be priority as soon as I finish responding to you guys' concerns in this thread.

As for broken images - can you please @Fred Weiss link me to an example?
Thanks.

This is certainly a new time consuming challenge in negotiating my way through. Maybe some other time...
Come on now.. It's not that difficult or shouldn't be. Perhaps a bit time consuming and we hope you will challenge yourself to appreciate the XF platform. I think you'll find that navigating the site will be much more intuitive than navigating the old vB forum. Please familiarize yourself with the navigation scheme @SignosaurusRex . Thanks.

J.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
PLEASE KEEP YOUR FEEDBACK, SUGGESTIONS AND IDEAS CONSTRUCTIVE!!! For instance. The drawing posted here -- which I will comment below -- while cutesy, does not help me make the site better. Keep it pithy folks. Thanks.

LOL, it would have just melted away on it's own, but ya had to mention it.... this is signs101, now you'll just be harassed because someone knows it gets under your skin.....

Status
Not open for further replies.