Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News We're Back Online With Our New Design!

Discussion in 'Signs101 Website News' started by Signs101Admin, Jan 24, 2017.

Like our new design? Vote in the poll and post about it...

1. Yes. Sorta brilliant.

22.8%
  2. Eh...

38.6%
  3. Nope. Kinda sux.

38.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Correct Color

Correct Color Merchant Member

Sep 6, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Well, yeah, I suppose it could be that 'in my head' I read "Just tried it and it is working for me" as curt, when in reality it was really an exhaustive explanation of how you thanked me for alerting you to an issue, apologized to a paying customer for the problem, and were assuring me that one way or another you were working to a resolution...

Or it might have just been curt.

Anyway, I tried Windows 10, with Microsoft Edge, which I had never opened and never used before, and had the same issue.

So I'm thinking it is probably not my cache.

(Edited to add: I'd also point out that from my point of view, when a client calls me with a problem, whatever it is, it's always isolated just to them by the nature of my business. However, that they have an issue makes it "widespread" enough to demand my attention.)

• Like Like x 2
  2. SignosaurusRex

SignosaurusRex Major Contributor

Mar 7, 2007
    Washington State
    Has this been completed? Last I heard... it was sidelined for awhile. If it has.....??? My "Gallery" is still M.I.A. :confused:

3. SignsSupport

SignsSupport Administrator Staff Member

Jan 16, 2017
    Cyberspace
    2017-01-31_22-14-52.png
    PhenexPhenex - We can't possibly please all of you. No way.
    I appreciate your candor and your post - but definitely found it to be nitpicking. As I pointed out in the side-by-side screencaps - The Xenforo homepage is a real, actual and substantial improvement from the vBulletin homepage. Perhaps we'll agree to disagree. But it's obvious ... The same exact info appears on both homepages' new posts widget. Perhaps the very small things are important...? IDK.

All-SignZAll-SignZ .. 7 vs. 5??? Seriously? That is nitpicking!
    I'm being facetious (in what I hope will not be interpreted as being a *****) when I say ==> Welcome to the internet. You need to scroll to view content.

At anyrate - I simply disagree with your assertions that the old layout was 'much easier on the eyes' and had 'easier navigation' ... So - I suppose we'll agree to disagree.
    I do not believe we'll be tweaking or changing the homepage layout much more than we already have. It's not my call.
    Thanks for your feedback.

GinoGino - I'm not *exactly* sure what you're referencing - but perhaps someone has followed you or what had been known in vBulletin: added you as a buddy?...

2017-01-31_22-17-53.png

IDK. Please clarify what you're talking about.
    Thanks!

Johnny BestJohnny Best - LOL Quite creative you are!!!
    I'm pretty sure we now know what nitpicking is.. EW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Those irritating bugs. GET AWAY!!! Bye. LOL

SignosaurusRexSignosaurusRex ... Nope. Not yet. And when we do get to the import - the images will not be a gallery, but a thread with images and no posted content. As far as I believe anyway.
    Feel free to upload all the images you like in the new Media Gallery. It's quite nice: https://signs101.com/media/

J.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  4. SignsSupport

Jan 16, 2017
    Cyberspace
    I too cannot replicate what some of you have experienced:

[​IMG]

I'm not even sure what to suggest actually. For all of you who have experienced the news navigation issue.
    Please tell me which browser (with version number) that you are using. And just to clarify - you will see the new posts section at the top of the news section posts. The page should change to show all posts in the news section though...

J.

5. legacyborn

legacyborn Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Winters, CA
    I think many of us assumed that by clicking on the page numbers on the bottom that it would cycle the forum posts, not whatever is below it. (ads?)

• Like Like x 2
  6. SignsSupport

Jan 16, 2017
    Cyberspace
    Nope legacybornlegacyborn - The page navigation cylces post from the Signs101 News Articles section.
    I wonder if placing a button that links to the New Posts directly beneath the 10 newest posts widget would kinda clarify the misunderstanding?... Okay... I have an idea... I'll post the slight revision in a little bit.

J.

7. Fred Weiss

Fred Weiss Merchant Member

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    What those who commented about the page not advancing are looking for is what was central to the old vbPortal display of "Recent Threads from Our Forums". It would take one back to view the titles of threads in chronological order for the previous two weeks at the rate of 30 threads to a page. It typically would contain 15 to 20 pages of recent threads whether the member had read them or not. It simply represents an alternate way of viewing threads that evidently some members had become used to using. Conversely, the News threads were a part of that and the News Blocks you have set to look at older news through page changes were never cycled in the past.

FWIW, I think the current approach is counter-intuitive. Most viewers are looking at the Recent Threads and when they click on page 2 expect the next oldest threads to be displayed ... not the News below them.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Signs & Designs

Signs & Designs New Member

Apr 25, 2004
    North Jersey
    Everything working fine here with the new upgrade Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  9. SignsSupport

Jan 16, 2017
    Cyberspace
    Fred WeissFred Weiss - The old vBulletin install actually made use of vBAdvanced. I've created some fabulous homepage design with vBA. It's my all-time favorite vBulletin plugin. Unfortunately it is dead. It hasn't been developed for years and will no longer be developed, as development and support was "OFFICIALLY" ended in 2014.

That being said - I will be posting an announcement thread about some of Xenforo's features. I think you'll also be (somewhat?) pleased with the changes we've made to the current XenPorta2 homepage design, which I absolutely believe is superior to vBA in every way imaginable. Of course - That's my opinion - And I'm sticking to it.

Another nifty feature of Xenforo is the Recent Activity section. You'll find the link the "Home" dropdown menu and/or sublinks. I'll post more about it in the announcement thread.

Okay SignosaurusRexSignosaurusRex - I see you mocking me and it's perfectly fine. The word nifty is great, under-appreciated and goes unused far to often :)
    We will hopefully be bringing the old vBAlbums content online soon. As for recreating your gallery... The new Media Gallery is full-featured and superior to the old PhotoPost and the vBAlbums functionality. Like vBA - PP is a dead script and is no longer being developed. I'm not quite sure about it's support, as I don't own the script... But I can tell you that the last development update it received was in 2014. As I've told you - The import from vBAlbums will not recreate a new section in your profile. So yes indeed. If you'd like images to appear in your profile - you must create an album or albums and upload the images via the Media Gallery.

Our apologies for bringing you new, enhanced functionality..

Signs & DesignsSigns & Designs - I appreciate the positive feedback. We hope you're enjoying Signs101 on the Xenforo platform.
    If you have any questions about functionality or suggestions on how to make the upgrade better - just ask. Thanks.

I'll update the thread with the announcement link a little bit later.
    We appreciate you guys' patience as we complete the upgrade.

J.

10. SignsSupport

Jan 16, 2017
    Cyberspace
    Eon MediaEon Media

Wait a sec.. "Is that rigamortis setting in? Is there a pulse? Is there a pulse?? Nurse .... 20CCs of XenPorta2 stat.." [​IMG]
    "Yup," says the nurse after stickin' it to the live one, all focus on the dead one. "Tis definitely rigamortis. It's basically a corpse that vBA thang..." [​IMG]

J.

11. Correct Color

Correct Color Merchant Member

Sep 6, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Fred,

You explained my issue exactly. Thanks.

Jaquii,

Your new "View All New Forum Posts" button solved the issue for me. Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Fred Weiss

Fred Weiss Merchant Member

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    Fred Weiss said:
    What those who commented about the page not advancing are looking for is what was central to the old vbPortal display of "Recent Threads from Our Forums". It would take one back to view the titles of threads in chronological order for the previous two weeks at the rate of 30 threads to a page. It typically would contain 15 to 20 pages of recent threads whether the member had read them or not. It simply represents an alternate way of viewing threads that evidently some members had become used to using. Conversely, the News threads were a part of that and the News Blocks you have set to look at older news through page changes were never cycled in the past.

FWIW, I think the current approach is counter-intuitive. Most viewers are looking at the Recent Threads and when they click on page 2 expect the next oldest threads to be displayed ... not the News below them.

JacquiiDesignsJacquiiDesigns - The old vBulletin install actually made use of vBAdvanced. I've created some fabulous homepage design with vBA. It's my all-time favorite vBulletin plugin. Unfortunately it is dead. It hasn't been developed for years and will no longer be developed, as development and support was "OFFICIALLY" ended in 2014.

That being said - I will be posting an announcement thread about some of Xenforo's features. I think you'll also be (somewhat?) pleased with the changes we've made to the current XenPorta2 homepage design, which I absolutely believe is superior to vBA in every way imaginable. Of course - That's my opinion - And I'm sticking to it.

Another nifty feature of Xenforo is the Recent Activity section. You'll find the link the "Home" dropdown menu and/or sublinks. I'll post more about it in the announcement thread.

Fred WeissFred Weiss - My point was regarding the way the Recent Threads worked. It was offered as a possibility that you might have the option and/or the ability to set it up that way and, perhaps, hadn't noticed the difference. It is a given that vBulletin and vbAdvanced have become obsolete and that Xenforo is going to be the go to software for Signs 101. A simple yes, no or "I'll look into it" would be preferred over a rehash of Xenforo being a great and superior product.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Signs101Admin

Signs101Admin Owner Staff Member

Sep 30, 2016
    New Jersey
    Sorry guys , with such a large investment to continue to use outdated, unsupported, unsecured software it just not a wise move. We will continue to LISTEN to the members and make REASONABLE accommodations, I have been in the forms business for over 16 years, and have much success. Since the upgrade traffic has gone up 20%, posting up about 5% , registrations up 150% and user activity up 150%. To some it just the "newbies" but I'm sure that most who are in business have no problem welcoming New "business"? I will do my best to screen new memeber as I have been and removed as necessary.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  14. SignosaurusRex

SignosaurusRex Major Contributor

Mar 7, 2007
    Washington State
    Okay Jacquii, Let me ask this.... "Are you capable of retrieving the contents of the gallery that appeared on my profile page in the old vB"?
    If so, I don't care where you put images as long as I can then retrieve them and I will gladly recreate a gallery.

15. SignsSupport

Jan 16, 2017
    Cyberspace
    You're welcome!

It is great and is superior right? LOL And I'd prefer the current 44 votes of 'kinda sux' at least be 'eh!'
    My only concern here really is to prove that Signs101 has been upgraded. I hope I've proved that Fred WeissFred Weiss. Thanks.
    As an FWIW ... I've posted a bit about at News - New Signs101 Functionality/features Added And Explained...

J.

16. ikarasu

ikarasu Member

Jun 10, 2016
    Port Coquitlam, bc
    Slightly better. Now on long posts it always appears on the second to last line like above - never through the text, so it's an improvement!

[Edit] I realize I probably used the worst post as an example. But it was the easiest to see the line in. Even if there's 10 words, the break line is always above the last line.

Attached Files:

17. SignsSupport

Jan 16, 2017
    Cyberspace
    Okay. I'm re-opening this thread. First, because there is a lot of information that may be helpful to members as for site functionality and navigation. Second, because we appreciate the member feedback and suggestions that have been posted, 90% or more of which have been implemented for the betterment of the community.

Please remember to keep your critique, feedback and suggestions pithy, specific and CONSTRUCTIVE. Also - many of you had voted negatively in the poll. If your opinion has changed - We'll appreciate it if you let us know by changing your vote! Do so by using the "Change Your Vote" link in the poll section:

As an FYI - There should be no further posting about ad blocking or upgraded membership pricing. Decisions have been made and are no longer up for discussion. Also - we are in the process of developing an updated TOS/posting policy, part of which include the following:

Please keep this in mind when posting. Any violation of this directive will result in posts being removed and/or thread banning.

Also - we hope you all have appreciated the changes we've made during the site upgrade process. If yes = Tell us so. If no = Then please feel free to make suggestions. All feedback is welcome. And please feel free to change your vote using the "Change Your Vote" link in the poll section if you had originally voted "Nope. Kinda Sux." :thumb:

Thanks,

J.

18. Bly

Bly Very Active Member

Mar 9, 2004
    Sydney
    Can a member delete one of their own posts or is das verboten?

19. SignsSupport

Jan 16, 2017
    Cyberspace
    Members cannot delete their own posts BlyBly
    If you require a post be deleted, report it. Deletions may occur at the Administrator's discretion.

J.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.