• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

News We're Back Online With Our New Design!

Like our new design? Vote in the poll and post about it...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Things are coming around like a new pair of shoes - hurts at first but if they are the right size will glide on like slippers & be taken for granted soon enough.

What's with all the robots on line (72 last I checked)?.
Are they listening in & learning so they can take our jobs?!

wayne k
guam usa

SignsSupport

Support & Tech Administrator
Change it back to the way it was before you screwed it up

We'd love to hear what you have to say and will most definitely take all feedback in consideration and put it to use in an effort to make your Signs101 community experience even better.

We only ask one thing: that you please keep your feedback & critiques constructive.

I encourage you to be patient and to give the XF script a try. Familiarize yourself with it and you'll eventually agree that it is a superior script and that the upgrade Paul has bought to this community is for the better! Also - PLEASE KEEP YOUR FEEDBACK, SUGGESTIONS AND IDEAS CONSTRUCTIVE!!!

If you have any constructive feedback or any actual suggestions or requests - I'm sure Paul and I will consider it.

Please lodge your constructive criticism in a orderly fashion LOL.

We hope you guys and gals ... will better appreciate the new format. If not - we're happy to go back to the drawing board.. Please remember to keep your critique, feedback and suggestions pithy and CONSTRUCTIVE. If you don't like it. Tell us why. And please don't be scared to voice your opinion. It's your community and if you care about it - suggest a way to make it better! And be specific!

Northern Design - Thanks for taking the time..
I you have any - We will appreciate and take into consideration any constructive feedback you have to offer.
Thanks,

J.

SignsSupport

Things are coming around like a new pair of shoes - hurts at first but if they are the right size will glide on like slippers & be taken for granted soon enough.

What's with all the robots on line (72 last I checked)?.
Are they listening in & learning so they can take our jobs?!

wayne k
guam usa
The robots are search engines. They are indexing the site content which is now using the new Xenforo SEO'ed link structure.
I don't think the number of robots actually showed in the vBulletin install. But it's a good thing to get all forum content indexed /re-indexed so that people can find the site when looking for specific search terms relevant to the this Signs101 niche.
You're likely seeing Googlebots and Bing bots, Yahoo bots, etc... It's a good thing.

J.

SignsSupport

Not sure this has been posted before or not. But a lot of times when a post is long, the line break goes through the text on mobile. Any chance on fixing it? It's a bit annoying.

Also.. any chance on upping image size to above 1mb? Not sure what it was on the other platform, but for a digital printing site 1 MB seems a bit low.
Eon Media should be able to answer whether the upload size should be increased. It should be noted that the vBulletin upload size was much smaller. 1MB is plenty for an uploaded image IMO though...

The line break issues should be fixed. Can you verify please ikarasu

This is getting better now.

On the home page, can i request a page button at the top, instead of all the way at the bottom? or under the forum bit, on top of the bulletins.
This has been implemented Pauly:
signs101-homepage-newsnav.png

Thanks for the suggestion!

Can we change the number of posts that show?
Looking at preferences I do not see the option.
signage - I don't believe that's an option in the Xenforo default featureset.
I'll check and see - but I don't think it's an option...

J.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
The robots are search engines. They are indexing the site content which is now using the new Xenforo SEO'ed link structure.
I don't think the number of robots actually showed in the vBulletin install. But it's a good thing to get all forum content indexed /re-indexed so that people can find the site when looking for specific search terms relevant to the this Signs101 niche.
You're likely seeing Googlebots and Bing bots, Yahoo bots, etc... It's a good thing.

J.
I pretty much figured that but I am sticking with my Skynet theory.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Eon Media should be able to answer whether the upload size should be increased. It should be noted that the vBulletin upload size was much smaller. 1MB is plenty for an uploaded image IMO though...

The line break issues should be fixed. Can you verify please ikarasu

This has been implemented Pauly:
View attachment 123388

Thanks for the suggestion!

signage - I don't believe that's an option in the Xenforo default featureset.
I'll check and see - but I don't think it's an option...

J.

:) It's great to be apart of a community that listens to their members.

I'm a huge forum user. A lot of different layouts, Some are good and same are quite cluttered. I find my self to stay off the cluttered ones that are hard to navigate around. It's more of an annoyance when searching for something. S101 has been good, and it's good to see it's been kept that way.

heyskull

I am usually all for change.
But when logging on this afternoon I had to check twice to see if I hadn't come to the wrong site.
Signs 101 layout was more than user friendly and as they say "if it ain't broken, don't fix it!"
Their is enough crap going on in my work life without my favourite signs site trying something new.
Why Oh Why Oh Why?

I guess it is the new owner flexing his muscle and listening to so called web page designers.

Not a Happy Chicken :(

SC

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Well, thank you. I was told it couldn't be done, that it was an add-on that was not gonna be entertained, but you can now see who else is on a thread while on one yourself. I guess easier done than said.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
But when logging on this afternoon I had to check twice to see if I hadn't come to the wrong site.
Signs 101 layout was more than user friendly and as they say "if it ain't broken, don't fix it!"
Their is enough crap going on in my work life without my favourite signs site trying something new.
Why Oh Why Oh Why?

I guess it is the new owner flexing his muscle and listening to so called web page designers.

SC

Ahhh..... wouldn't you be considered a rooster and not a chicken ?? Just an observation. :confused:

SignsSupport

:) It's great to be apart of a community that listens to their members.

I'm a huge forum user. A lot of different layouts, Some are good and same are quite cluttered. I find my self to stay off the cluttered ones that are hard to navigate around. It's more of an annoyance when searching for something. S101 has been good, and it's good to see it's been kept that way.
Pauly - Thanks for the feedback. I hope you continue to enjoy.

Why Oh Why Oh Why?

SC
heyskull - vBulletin is a dead script. It has no upgrade path and the developers act as if they don't care about the millions of customers they've disappointed.

Xenforo is continually developed, will receive enhanced functionality, is security tight and issue free; It is much more intuitive & easier to navigate on both the front and back ends of the software and is generally well-received by the public and its license holders. The new theme is modern, uncluttered and an update on the old vB4 forum. This is NOT change for the sake of change. A lot of planning and a boatload of work has gone into the upgrade and we're happy with the progress being made.

If you care to familiarize yourself with the new layout and functionality - you may be surprised to find that you enjoy surfing Signs101 much better on the new platform. If not - Well - it's too late to look back now. This is forward progress. It is an UPGRADE in most every way. Websites, social media sites and posting boards do receive upgrades every once in a while.

Sorry to hear about the crap going on in your life though...

Well, thank you. I was told it couldn't be done, that it was an add-on that was not gonna be entertained, but you can now see who else is on a thread while on one yourself. I guess easier done than said.
Gino - You simply cannot please everyone. Fortunately - Paul purchased and installed the additional functionality. I finished the styling earlier this morning and it is rather nice!
You're welcome. ;)

J.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
That 'added feature' of who has also read or... at least opened a thread is nice, too.

I have another one, but someone said it was already accomplished, but I can't find it.

When looking for a particular member, before, one could go to the appropriate alphabetical letter of the name and start from there... kinda putting aside looking through 1800 pages. Now, one has to just start at the beginning and go through lotsa pages if the name is Milton or Nigel. Am I missing something or is this not a possibility.

:thankyou:

Phenex

Just curious about something. If you look at the picture below, which is a screen print of the Home page and focus on the circled area.

The title bar shows Replies and Views and then below in the first line we see a stacked Replies and Views with the count for each on the right.

Shouldn't the replies total be in the Replies column and the views total in the Views column?

s101-replies-views.jpg

SignsSupport

That 'added feature' of who has also read or... at least opened a thread is nice, too.

I have another one, but someone said it was already accomplished, but I can't find it.

When looking for a particular member, before, one could go to the appropriate alphabetical letter of the name and start from there... kinda putting aside looking through 1800 pages. Now, one has to just start at the beginning and go through lotsa pages if the name is Milton or Nigel. Am I missing something or is this not a possibility.

:thankyou:
Gino - Xenforo does not have a native alphabetical pagination functionality. There is, though, a search functionality that I believe is a bit of an enhancement of even going through pages and pages of members with the letter "G" for example. It's simple - just locate the "Find Members" formfield in the left-hand sidebar and start typing the username:
signs101-memberlist-search.gif

There actually is a premium modification to that would allow sorting the memberlist by username, join date, last activity and a myriad of other options.
I'll let Paul know about it a bit later.

HTH,

J.

SignsSupport

Just curious about something. If you look at the picture below, which is a screen print of the Home page and focus on the circled area.

The title bar shows Replies and Views and then below in the first line we see a stacked Replies and Views with the count for each on the right.

Shouldn't the replies total be in the Replies column and the views total in the Views column?

View attachment 123393
Hi Phenex - Probably yes. But that's really nitpicking. There are a bit more priority issues to take care of at the moment.
Thanks for pointing that out though.

J.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Not nitpicking at all. It makes the page confusing. It would also be much more user friendly to have the forum that the thread is in displayed in its own column.

SignsSupport

I'm not going to argue about the definition of nitpicking! It seems rather ... a thankless argument if I'm to be perfectly honest. What I will do is post the distinction between the vBulletin homepage and the current Xenforo homepage. See the wayback machine for further reference:

2017-01-31_11-24-23.png

The pages show the exact same information!
  1. Thread title
  2. Thread starter
  3. Thread date
  4. Last poster's username
  5. Last post time
  6. Thread replies
  7. Thread views

Only the Xenforo recent posts widget is enhanced. The Xenforo page shows all of the above with the addition of the the thread starters avatar & latest poster's avatar. You see thread pagination for multiple page threads. You have the option of click the star icon which if you're subscribed to the thread will browse to the first unread post. Clicking the thread title browses to the original post.

On mouseover - you see an excerpt of the original post with the thread starters username and original post date.
signs101-homepage.gif

The current XenPorta2 homepage is an ENHANCEMENT! Can you guys appreciate the distinction?

At anyrate - we appreciate the feedback and constructive critique and are obviously taking member suggestions and implementing the ones that we think will work well for Signs101. Xenforo is a different forum platform. It's better than vBulletin in the opinions of many who are actually knowledgable about both the history of the platforms and the distinction between their functionality. Signs101 -- as far as I know -- is on the Xenforo platform for the long-haul because IT -- unlike vBulletin -- is continually being developed, supported and enhanced.

I would like to suggest that we kinda get used to Signs101 on Xenforo and appreciate Eon Media for the time, creativity & money he has sank into trying to make this community BETTER for all registered, Merchant, Merchant (Special) & Premium members.

Thanks for your consideration. And if you feel the need to change your poll vote = Click the "Change Your Vote" option in the poll above.

J.

Last edited:

Phenex

Hi Phenex - Probably yes. But that's really nitpicking. There are a bit more priority issues to take care of at the moment.
Thanks for pointing that out though.

J.
Hi,

I was not trying to nitpick, I was trying to follow your request. You had asked members for constructive feedback and I thought by posting with a picture highlighting what I perceived to be an area that could be enhanced was in the spirit of that request. I kept my post direct and factual with no intention of being accusatory on denigrating the work you have done. I also did not ask for an immediate fix, just pointing out something I thought could be improved . The highlighting in your reply was added by you not me.

Could you tell me how I should have posted my suggestion so it would not have been taken as nitpicking?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.