• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

News We're Back Online With Our New Design!

Like our new design? Vote in the poll and post about it...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SignsSupport

Support & Tech Administrator
I would suggest getting rids of the trophies button/square thing on the user information....who cares about these silly trophies?
ddarlak The system actually may be enhanced at a later date. But you know as well as everyone else that on message boards & social media people like to be credited for their posts and such. The functionality takes into consideration your likes and a few other things. It's like vBulletin's reputation system - only enhanced a bit. The trophies functionality will likely stay entact.

The new layout is growing on me a little. I am having issues getting my avatar to display without cutting of Yumyum's right cheek :(
ColoPrinthead You should upload a new avatar. The dimensions have been increased. Ideally you'll want to upload a 200x200px image, otherwise it will be cropped. You can access the avatar edit via your options or, the option I personally prefer, via your S101 profile page. Simply click the avatar and an options overlay will open.

I saw that already... and I don't have that option displayed. Other stuff missing as well. Looks like Gino's did.
101-points-not-showing-up-jpg.123234
SignosaurusRex - You should absolutely see the default options for the registered members usergroup.
I've checked your permissions and there's no reason you shouldn't be able to see the Start A Conversation link for example...

I get a "Parse Error" when trying to view from ForumRunner. Will we continue to have access via FR or another app?
SqueeGee - ForumRunner is a vBulletin app and is no longer in use here.
You have two options for browsing though...
  1. Your web browser: The site should be 100% responsive for all devises. If you or anyone else sees a broken responsive element - report it here.
  2. The Tapatalk app: When browsing via the a devise - you will be prompted to install Tapatalk. It's free of charge.
HTH ;)

A little glitch (I think). If I click Register/Login when I first come to the site, I can login with no problem. But if I logout and then try to log back in, it will only come up with the form for new registration. If I close the window and open a new one, the login page returns.
Edited to add I am using Firefox on a Windows 7 machine.
Bigdawg Oh! Paul told me about the registration button actually loading the login form. It shouldn't be loading the registration form - but an actual login form that gives you the option of registering a new account. It will be fixed - don't worry and thanks for reporting the issue.

Not sure if anyone else seems to be having this issue, but it seems to be taking along time to load when I first try to go to signs101 on my browser (chrome). It can take upwards of 3 minutes to finally come up.
Msrae Signs101 is on a blazingly fast dedicated server. There should be no load issues whatsoever. Certainly not 3 minutes.
Does this happen every time you load Signs101???

THANK YOU!
You're welcome!

Like the new design but having a hard time finding where to make a new thread.
Jwalk - I think I'll install a create thread button that will show on all pages. It's *perhaps* on the todo list. I'll discuss it with Eon Media
In the meantime - simply browse the forum in which you want to post and simply click the "Post New Thread" button:
signs101-newthread.png

SignsSupport

Again - thank you all for your patience. There's a bit more customization to bring the design to 100% and a few more functionality elements that will make your browsing experience that much better. It's a work in progress. But things are coming along nicely.

I hope some of you who voted "Nope. Kinda sux." are having a change of mind. Hopefully you're familiarizing yourself with the new XenForo layout & and options and are realizing that XF is a superior script when compared to the old vBulletin. If this is the case - Please change your vote. It's editable
di-XG8C.gif

For those of you who are not at all liking the new format/design and think it's a major fail ==> Please share your reasons why in this thread. Thanks!

J.

SignosaurusRex

Again - thank you all for your patience. There's a bit more customization to bring the design to 100% and a few more functionality elements that will make your browsing experience that much better. It's a work in progress. But things are coming along nicely.

I hope some of you who voted "Nope. Kinda sux." are having a change of mind. Hopefully you're familiarizing yourself with the new XenForo layout & and options and are realizing that XF is a superior script when compared to the old vBulletin. If this is the case - Please change your vote. It's editable
di-XG8C.gif

For those of you who are not at all liking the new format/design and think it's a major fail ==> Please share your reasons why in this thread. Thanks!

J.

I'm gradually getting toward liking the change. The gradual fixes and improvements seem to be coming along well. I know it's a work in progress and no doubt it will get to where it needs to be. :toasting:

SignsSupport

I'm gradually getting toward liking the change. The gradual fixes and improvements seem to be coming along well. I know it's a work in progress and no doubt it will get to where it needs to be. :toasting:
I truly appreciate the vote of confidence! You know our friend Eon Media is a Trump supporter ... And I don't hate him for that LOL! But he did say something interesting yesterday. And I paraphrase, "The goal is to Make Signs101 Great Again!" Of course I almost threw up hehe. But instead I corrected him slightly. I said the site is already great; the memberbase is phenomenal. Lots of creative people here. We're going to make it greater. And that's the goal. He's put a lot of time and thought into making the site wonderful for you all. So have I. A lot of time went into the migration process alone. Unfortunately it didn't go as smoothly as I'd liked it to have. So there is work to do. We'll get 'er done.

So again - thanks for the vote of confidence. The wrinkles will be ironed out and functionality enhancements will be implemented. Cheers from Tennessee
cheers.gif

J.

EDIT:
As an FYI - we will be importing all images from the vBulletin member albums.
The forum will close for 10-20 minutes around this 12-1 AM EST in order to complete the data import.

Last edited:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I too, am starting to like it more as I get used to it, but things take time.

Like you said, you and eon have a lotta time and effort in this thing....... well, so have many of us and to see things, memories and certain features vanish is sometimes hard to swallow, so we do what is natural and fight back. Remember, this WAS a place for sign professionals and the sudden increase in hobbyists, flashing lights and crazy changes....... well, that's not always making something greater. However, as always, we will pick oursleves up and get back in the trenches and WE will make it great again, not some wallpaper or silly notion that words will fix something. It actually takes hard work. One of the things I like best about eon is..... he is a Trump supporter, so I think he will try to build things and mend things, but we don't need schmoozing to do it.

Johnny Best

I have an observation. At the top of this page there are the blocks of how many pages in the post. After scrolling to the bottom of the page and I want to go to the next page or go back to another I have to scroll all the way back up to the top to get the page feature again. Is it possible to put that feature at the bottom also.

Signed Out

Is there a way to shrink down the spacing between posts? Perhaps a user preference that we can adjust? Everything is so spaced out, and just not an easy read. Also I don't see where you can see if and who is viewing the thread you are on. There used to be a box at the bottom that listed usernames and also amount of guests reading a thread.

Bigdawg

Just Me
My login issue was user error :) but something you may want to look at. The login/register button on top looks like it is one button to push, so I didn't pay attention to which side I clicked it on. I was accidentally clicking on the register side of the button. You may want to separate that or make a link to the login form on the registration page (and vice versa).

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
Kentucky Wraps: "There will be the usual getting used to the new format phase...and some don't like changes in their cages.
I would say it looks like it was designed to pander to folks that need glasses or didn't have big screen monitors.
I'm assuming it's to be more Mobile Friendly."

It is mobile friendly. Completely responsive with an off-canvas menu that is accessible from all forum pages. The PC version is even better imo. How would you make it more mobile friendly @Kentucky Wraps? Anyway thanks for the feedback.

J.

The "it's" I was referring to was the design looking like it was larger or for big screen monitors. I assumed those were because it was meant to be more mobile friendly.

SignsSupport

Remember, this WAS a place for sign professionals and the sudden increase in hobbyists, flashing lights and crazy changes....... well, that's not always making something greater. However, as always, we will pick oursleves up and get back in the trenches and WE will make it great again, not some wallpaper or silly notion that words will fix something. It actually takes hard work. One of the things I like best about eon is..... he is a Trump supporter, so I think he will try to build things and mend things, but we don't need schmoozing to do it.
Gino - Naturally we all have a part to play. My part is to put a more modern design online and make sure the gears are oiled, meaning all functionality issues are fixed, navigation is made easy & the browsing experience is slick. Hopefully I've done that. I will continue with the functionality aspects, as well as tweaking some of the design. Of course - the part members play is to continue posting, offering advise when asked for and in general enjoying the various back-and-forths with your creative colleagues. Despite some of the more negative feedback, this is still happening.

You'll see no schmoozing for me. I don't do small talk well at all :)

Jwalk - I think I'll install a create thread button that will show on all pages. It's *perhaps* on the todo list. I'll discuss it with Eon Media
In the meantime - simply browse the forum in which you want to post and simply click the "Post New Thread" button:
View attachment 123318

I think everyone was just used to the new thread button on the home page on the old site. Now that I know how to do it, it makes perfect sense.

Slowly but surely getting used to the new look and feel. Can't quite figure out how to get the list of new threads to come up like they used to without jumping through hoops but it's likely user error.

Thanks for your hard work and patience with all of us nay-sayers.

edited to add: I butchered that quote, but you get the idea...[/QUOTE]
RJPW - Glad you're getting used to the new format. I think in time you'll come to agree that the functionality of Signs101 on the Xenforo platform is quite more intuitive than it was on vBulletin. And no. Not at all. I don't mind the feedback. It's your community and all members' opinions matter and will be thoughtfully considered. As for the New Threads link... As has been said - There is the "New Posts" link on all forum pages. You'll see it in the "Forum" dropdown and/or sub-menu in the main navigation bar. On mobile - you'll find it by opening the off-canvas menu, which is also on all forum pages.

I have an observation. At the top of this page there are the blocks of how many pages in the post. After scrolling to the bottom of the page and I want to go to the next page or go back to another I have to scroll all the way back up to the top to get the page feature again. Is it possible to put that feature at the bottom also.
Johnny Best - The thread page navigation IS at the top and bottom of all thread pages. Furthermore, when a thread spans hundreds of pages - you can easily browse to the exact page you need. See the screencaps below:
signs101-page-navigation.png

signs101-page-navigation2.gif

I believe it's quite intuitive and provides an easy-to-navigate experience.
I hope you agree.

Is there a way to shrink down the spacing between posts? Perhaps a user preference that we can adjust? Everything is so spaced out, and just not an easy read. Also I don't see where you can see if and who is viewing the thread you are on. There used to be a box at the bottom that listed usernames and also amount of guests reading a thread.
All-SignZ - I designed it that way purposely as to not have the posts kinda smooshed together. I'll make a code change when I get back to my desk. I'll post when the change has been made and see if it makes a positive difference for you guys.

As for the who's reading a thread functionality - it simply does not exist in the out-of-box featureset of Xenforo. I'll look into seeing if it's an option we can add. If it is - we'll be happy to add the functionality to the new XF install.

My login issue was user error :) but something you may want to look at. The login/register button on top looks like it is one button to push, so I didn't pay attention to which side I clicked it on. I was accidentally clicking on the register side of the button. You may want to separate that or make a link to the login form on the registration page (and vice versa).
Bigdawg ... Actually - that particular button is kinda broken. It's a known issue that I'll be fixing a bit later this afternoon/evening. There are not supposed to be two separate links. In fact - I didn't even realize there were two separate links within the single button until reading your post. Once the button is clicked - it should actually open up a login overlay, with the option of registering a new account. It will be fixed. Thanks for your post!

J.

SignsSupport

All-SignZ -- Any better now?

J.

equippaint

I cant get into the new look, it seems to take more effort and concentration just to figure out whats a post and whats static nonsense.

There's a ton of space for each posting, just a 1 sentence response takes up the whole screen. Looks like its from the users stats being overly large and dominating. There's not much contrast between a quote, the actual posting and all the crap at the bottom of the post (report/like etc) and when you roll through it quickly it all seems to run together. Itd also be nice to see more new postings on the front page too and a way to navigate to more than one page of the latest posts there like the threads have.

Status
Not open for further replies.