Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News We're Back Online With Our New Design!

Discussion in 'Signs101 Website News' started by Signs101Admin, Jan 24, 2017.

Like our new design? Vote in the poll and post about it...

1. Yes. Sorta brilliant.

22.8%
  2. Eh...

38.6%
  3. Nope. Kinda sux.

38.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jwalk

Jwalk Member

May 27, 2014
    Toronto
    Like the new design but having a hard time finding where to make a new thread.

• Like Like x 1
  2. SignsSupport

SignsSupport Support & Tech Administrator

Jan 16, 2017
    Cyberspace
    ddarlakddarlak The system actually may be enhanced at a later date. But you know as well as everyone else that on message boards & social media people like to be credited for their posts and such. The functionality takes into consideration your likes and a few other things. It's like vBulletin's reputation system - only enhanced a bit. The trophies functionality will likely stay entact.

ColoPrintheadColoPrinthead You should upload a new avatar. The dimensions have been increased. Ideally you'll want to upload a 200x200px image, otherwise it will be cropped. You can access the avatar edit via your options or, the option I personally prefer, via your S101 profile page. Simply click the avatar and an options overlay will open.

SignosaurusRexSignosaurusRex - You should absolutely see the default options for the registered members usergroup.
    I've checked your permissions and there's no reason you shouldn't be able to see the Start A Conversation link for example...

SqueeGeeSqueeGee - ForumRunner is a vBulletin app and is no longer in use here.
    You have two options for browsing though...
    1. Your web browser: The site should be 100% responsive for all devises. If you or anyone else sees a broken responsive element - report it here.
    2. The Tapatalk app: When browsing via the a devise - you will be prompted to install Tapatalk. It's free of charge.
    HTH ;)

BigdawgBigdawg Oh! Paul told me about the registration button actually loading the login form. It shouldn't be loading the registration form - but an actual login form that gives you the option of registering a new account. It will be fixed - don't worry and thanks for reporting the issue.

MsraeMsrae Signs101 is on a blazingly fast dedicated server. There should be no load issues whatsoever. Certainly not 3 minutes.
    Does this happen every time you load Signs101???

You're welcome!

JwalkJwalk - I think I'll install a create thread button that will show on all pages. It's *perhaps* on the todo list. I'll discuss it with Eon MediaEon Media
    In the meantime - simply browse the forum in which you want to post and simply click the "Post New Thread" button:
    signs101-newthread.png

• Like Like x 1
  3. SignsSupport

Jan 16, 2017
    Cyberspace
    Again - thank you all for your patience. There's a bit more customization to bring the design to 100% and a few more functionality elements that will make your browsing experience that much better. It's a work in progress. But things are coming along nicely.

I hope some of you who voted "Nope. Kinda sux." are having a change of mind. Hopefully you're familiarizing yourself with the new XenForo layout & and options and are realizing that XF is a superior script when compared to the old vBulletin. If this is the case - Please change your vote. It's editable [​IMG]

For those of you who are not at all liking the new format/design and think it's a major fail ==> Please share your reasons why in this thread. Thanks!

J.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Signs101Admin

Signs101Admin Owner

Sep 30, 2016
    New Jersey
    Sorry no more forumrunner.

5. SignosaurusRex

SignosaurusRex Major Contributor

Mar 7, 2007
    Washington State
    I'm gradually getting toward liking the change. The gradual fixes and improvements seem to be coming along well. I know it's a work in progress and no doubt it will get to where it needs to be. :toasting:

• Like Like x 1
  6. SignsSupport

Jan 16, 2017
    Cyberspace
    I truly appreciate the vote of confidence! You know our friend Eon MediaEon Media is a Trump supporter ... And I don't hate him for that LOL! But he did say something interesting yesterday. And I paraphrase, "The goal is to Make Signs101 Great Again!" Of course I almost threw up hehe. But instead I corrected him slightly. I said the site is already great; the memberbase is phenomenal. Lots of creative people here. We're going to make it greater. And that's the goal. He's put a lot of time and thought into making the site wonderful for you all. So have I. A lot of time went into the migration process alone. Unfortunately it didn't go as smoothly as I'd liked it to have. So there is work to do. We'll get 'er done.

So again - thanks for the vote of confidence. The wrinkles will be ironed out and functionality enhancements will be implemented. Cheers from Tennessee [​IMG]

J.

EDIT:
    As an FYI - we will be importing all images from the vBulletin member albums.
    The forum will close for 10-20 minutes around this 12-1 AM EST in order to complete the data import.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    I too, am starting to like it more as I get used to it, but things take time.

Like you said, you and eon have a lotta time and effort in this thing....... well, so have many of us and to see things, memories and certain features vanish is sometimes hard to swallow, so we do what is natural and fight back. Remember, this WAS a place for sign professionals and the sudden increase in hobbyists, flashing lights and crazy changes....... well, that's not always making something greater. However, as always, we will pick oursleves up and get back in the trenches and WE will make it great again, not some wallpaper or silly notion that words will fix something. It actually takes hard work. One of the things I like best about eon is..... he is a Trump supporter, so I think he will try to build things and mend things, but we don't need schmoozing to do it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. HDvinyl

HDvinyl Trump 2020

Nov 20, 2008
    halfway house.
    Click on "New Posts" on the home page submenu.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Johnny Best

Johnny Best Very Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    buffalo ny
    I have an observation. At the top of this page there are the blocks of how many pages in the post. After scrolling to the bottom of the page and I want to go to the next page or go back to another I have to scroll all the way back up to the top to get the page feature again. Is it possible to put that feature at the bottom also.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Signed Out

Signed Out Very Active Member

Aug 6, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Is there a way to shrink down the spacing between posts? Perhaps a user preference that we can adjust? Everything is so spaced out, and just not an easy read. Also I don't see where you can see if and who is viewing the thread you are on. There used to be a box at the bottom that listed usernames and also amount of guests reading a thread.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Johnny Best

Johnny Best Very Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    buffalo ny
    thanks

12. DKgrafix

DKgrafix Very Active Member

I love how you ask for locations and then you put a Donkeytown as you location.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Bigdawg

Bigdawg Just Me

Jun 8, 2005
    Sunny Florida
    My login issue was user error :) but something you may want to look at. The login/register button on top looks like it is one button to push, so I didn't pay attention to which side I clicked it on. I was accidentally clicking on the register side of the button. You may want to separate that or make a link to the login form on the registration page (and vice versa).

• Like Like x 2
  14. Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps Kentucky Wraps

Mar 6, 2009
    Bluegrass
    Kentucky Wraps: "There will be the usual getting used to the new format phase...and some don't like changes in their cages.
    I would say it looks like it was designed to pander to folks that need glasses or didn't have big screen monitors.
    I'm assuming it's to be more Mobile Friendly."

The "it's" I was referring to was the design looking like it was larger or for big screen monitors. I assumed those were because it was meant to be more mobile friendly.

• Like Like x 1
  15. SignsSupport

Jan 16, 2017
    Cyberspace
    GinoGino - Naturally we all have a part to play. My part is to put a more modern design online and make sure the gears are oiled, meaning all functionality issues are fixed, navigation is made easy & the browsing experience is slick. Hopefully I've done that. I will continue with the functionality aspects, as well as tweaking some of the design. Of course - the part members play is to continue posting, offering advise when asked for and in general enjoying the various back-and-forths with your creative colleagues. Despite some of the more negative feedback, this is still happening.

You'll see no schmoozing for me. I don't do small talk well at all :)

I think everyone was just used to the new thread button on the home page on the old site. Now that I know how to do it, it makes perfect sense.

Slowly but surely getting used to the new look and feel. Can't quite figure out how to get the list of new threads to come up like they used to without jumping through hoops but it's likely user error.

Thanks for your hard work and patience with all of us nay-sayers.

edited to add: I butchered that quote, but you get the idea...[/QUOTE]
    RJPWRJPW - Glad you're getting used to the new format. I think in time you'll come to agree that the functionality of Signs101 on the Xenforo platform is quite more intuitive than it was on vBulletin. And no. Not at all. I don't mind the feedback. It's your community and all members' opinions matter and will be thoughtfully considered. As for the New Threads link... As has been said - There is the "New Posts" link on all forum pages. You'll see it in the "Forum" dropdown and/or sub-menu in the main navigation bar. On mobile - you'll find it by opening the off-canvas menu, which is also on all forum pages.

Johnny BestJohnny Best - The thread page navigation IS at the top and bottom of all thread pages. Furthermore, when a thread spans hundreds of pages - you can easily browse to the exact page you need. See the screencaps below:
    signs101-page-navigation.png

signs101-page-navigation2.gif

I believe it's quite intuitive and provides an easy-to-navigate experience.
    I hope you agree.

All-SignZAll-SignZ - I designed it that way purposely as to not have the posts kinda smooshed together. I'll make a code change when I get back to my desk. I'll post when the change has been made and see if it makes a positive difference for you guys.

As for the who's reading a thread functionality - it simply does not exist in the out-of-box featureset of Xenforo. I'll look into seeing if it's an option we can add. If it is - we'll be happy to add the functionality to the new XF install.

BigdawgBigdawg ... Actually - that particular button is kinda broken. It's a known issue that I'll be fixing a bit later this afternoon/evening. There are not supposed to be two separate links. In fact - I didn't even realize there were two separate links within the single button until reading your post. Once the button is clicked - it should actually open up a login overlay, with the option of registering a new account. It will be fixed. Thanks for your post!

J.

16. SignsSupport

Jan 16, 2017
    Cyberspace
    All-SignZAll-SignZ -- Any better now?

J.

17. HDvinyl

HDvinyl Trump 2020

Nov 20, 2008
    halfway house.
    No! Too much space to the left now.

18. SignsSupport

Jan 16, 2017
    Cyberspace
    There was no change made to the left-side spacing HDvinylHDvinyl
    Only the top and bottom adding was reduced.

J.

19. HDvinyl

HDvinyl Trump 2020

Nov 20, 2008
    halfway house.
    Hmmmm, I guess the booze is working.

:toasting:

20. HDvinyl

HDvinyl Trump 2020

Nov 20, 2008
    halfway house.
    The funny thing is, it shows up as Donkeytow. Makes me think of a camel.

21. I think most people who Know Colorado know where I'm at.

22. Mods, this is a travesty, get it fixed ASAP!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.