• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

News We're Back Online With Our New Design!

Like our new design? Vote in the poll and post about it...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Correct Color

Maybe it's just me, but my main complaint is that the page 1, 2, 3 and etc. buttons on the Home screen don't work. Not the forward or back buttons either.

I can click on any of them, and it refreshes the screen, but I stay on page one. Since the way I used the site was always just to follow the home page, that makes the site just almost unusable to me, so it is a pretty big beef.

Mac 10.10.5, and I have the same problem with Chrome or Safari.

• Agree
Reactions: vid

Signed Out

I'm not going to argue about the definition of nitpicking! It seems rather ... a thankless argument if I'm to be perfectly honest. What I will do is post the distinction between the vBulletin homepage and the current Xenforo homepage. See the wayback machine for further reference:

View attachment 123401

The pages show the exact same information!
  1. Thread title
  2. Thread starter
  3. Thread date
  4. Last poster's username
  5. Last post time
  6. Thread replies
  7. Thread views

Only the Xenforo recent posts widget is enhanced. The Xenforo page shows all of the above with the addition of the the thread starters avatar & latest poster's avatar. You see thread pagination for multiple page threads. You have the option of click the star icon which if you're subscribed to the thread will browse to the first unread post. Clicking the thread title browses to the original post.

On mouseover - you see an excerpt of the original post with the thread starters username and original post date.
View attachment 123402

The current XenPorta2 homepage is an ENHANCEMENT! Can you guys appreciate the distinction?

At anyrate - we appreciate the feedback and constructive critique and are obviously taking member suggestions and implementing the ones that we think will work well for Signs101. Xenforo is a different forum platform. It's better than vBulletin in the opinions of many who are actually knowledgable about both the history of the platforms and the distinction between their functionality. Signs101 -- as far as I know -- is on the Xenforo platform for the long-haul because IT -- unlike vBulletin -- is continually being developed, supported and enhanced.

I would like to suggest that we kinda get used to Signs101 on Xenforo and appreciate Eon Media for the time, creativity & money he has sank into trying to make this community BETTER for all registered, Merchant, Merchant (Special) & Premium members.

Thanks for your consideration. And if you feel the need to change your poll vote = Click the "Change Your Vote" option in the poll above.

J.
These side by side screenshots show how much easier on the eyes the old layout was. Also fits more threads in the same space, 7 vs. 5, this made for less scrolling and easier navigation. I know you've done some modifications to address this, but everything still seems to run together in the new format, also the grid styling of the old format makes it easier to read through and distinguish between different threads, etc. Any chance of modifying the look more like the old layout?

Last edited by a moderator:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Okay, so here's another question...... not a complaint.

What is a profile request ?? I don't even remember how I stumbled into it. I can't duplicate it

Correct Color

"Just tried it and is working for me."

That's a pretty curt reply to a paying customer. It's not for me. Are you telling me you don't intend to fix it?

Signs101Admin

Owner
Staff member
"Just tried it and is working for me."

That's a pretty curt reply to a paying customer. It's not for me. Are you telling me you don't intend to fix it?

Depending on how you read it in your head and you current disposition it could have sounds curt, but I was not, I am looking into it but as I will expect to see it's not the site but rather something on his computer maybe bollocking scripts from running. I have over 12 computers that I have in my office from windows XP to a mac and i'm on the site for most the day and test out every feature, so I don't thinks it's a widespread problem.

2B

I got stuck on first page, clicking next or number 2 or 3 or 4, still show first page one only, but page count will advance.

same thing for me, tried FireFox and Chrome

Try clearing your cache, see it that fixes it.

cleared cache and cookies on both browsers, still doing it.

speaking of the home page, is there a way to increase the number of threads seen on a single page?
If this has already been addressed, sorry for the duplicate post

Correct Color

Depending on how you read it in your head and you current disposition it could have sounds curt, but I was not, I am looking into it but as I will expect to see it's not the site but rather something on his computer maybe bollocking scripts from running. I have over 12 computers that I have in my office from windows XP to a mac and i'm on the site for most the day and test out every feature, so I don't thinks it's a widespread problem.

Well, yeah, I suppose it could be that 'in my head' I read "Just tried it and it is working for me" as curt, when in reality it was really an exhaustive explanation of how you thanked me for alerting you to an issue, apologized to a paying customer for the problem, and were assuring me that one way or another you were working to a resolution...

Or it might have just been curt.

Anyway, I tried Windows 10, with Microsoft Edge, which I had never opened and never used before, and had the same issue.

So I'm thinking it is probably not my cache.

(Edited to add: I'd also point out that from my point of view, when a client calls me with a problem, whatever it is, it's always isolated just to them by the nature of my business. However, that they have an issue makes it "widespread" enough to demand my attention.)

SignosaurusRex

.......................EDIT:
As an FYI - we will be importing all images from the vBulletin member albums.
The forum will close for 10-20 minutes around this 12-1 AM EST in order to complete the data import.

Has this been completed? Last I heard... it was sidelined for awhile. If it has.....??? My "Gallery" is still M.I.A. :confused:

SignsSupport

Support & Tech Administrator
Hi,

I was not trying to nitpick, I was trying to follow your request. You had asked members for constructive feedback and I thought by posting with a picture highlighting what I perceived to be an area that could be enhanced was in the spirit of that request. I kept my post direct and factual with no intention of being accusatory on denigrating the work you have done. I also did not ask for an immediate fix, just pointing out something I thought could be improved . The highlighting in your reply was added by you not me.

Could you tell me how I should have posted my suggestion so it would not have been taken as nitpicking?

Thanks
2017-01-31_22-14-52.png

Phenex - We can't possibly please all of you. No way.
I appreciate your candor and your post - but definitely found it to be nitpicking. As I pointed out in the side-by-side screencaps - The Xenforo homepage is a real, actual and substantial improvement from the vBulletin homepage. Perhaps we'll agree to disagree. But it's obvious ... The same exact info appears on both homepages' new posts widget. Perhaps the very small things are important...? IDK.

These side by side screenshots show how much easier on the eyes the old layout was. Also fits more threads in the same space, 7 vs. 5, this made for less scrolling and easier navigation. I know you've done some modifications to address this, but everything still seems to run together in the new format, also the grid styling of the old format makes it easier to read through and distinguish between different threads, etc. Any chance of modifying the look more like the old layout?
All-SignZ .. 7 vs. 5??? Seriously? That is nitpicking!
I'm being facetious (in what I hope will not be interpreted as being a bitch) when I say ==> Welcome to the internet. You need to scroll to view content.

At anyrate - I simply disagree with your assertions that the old layout was 'much easier on the eyes' and had 'easier navigation' ... So - I suppose we'll agree to disagree.
I do not believe we'll be tweaking or changing the homepage layout much more than we already have. It's not my call.
Thanks for your feedback.

Okay, so here's another question...... not a complaint.

What is a profile request ?? I don't even remember how I stumbled into it. I can't duplicate it
Gino - I'm not *exactly* sure what you're referencing - but perhaps someone has followed you or what had been known in vBulletin: added you as a buddy?...

2017-01-31_22-17-53.png

IDK. Please clarify what you're talking about.
Thanks!

Johnny Best - LOL Quite creative you are!!!
I'm pretty sure we now know what nitpicking is.. EW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Those irritating bugs. GET AWAY!!! Bye. LOL

Has this been completed? Last I heard... it was sidelined for awhile. If it has.....??? My "Gallery" is still M.I.A. :confused:
SignosaurusRex ... Nope. Not yet. And when we do get to the import - the images will not be a gallery, but a thread with images and no posted content. As far as I believe anyway.
Feel free to upload all the images you like in the new Media Gallery. It's quite nice: https://signs101.com/media/

J.

Last edited:

SignsSupport

I got stuck on first page, clicking next or number 2 or 3 or 4, still show first page one only, but page count will advance.
I too cannot replicate what some of you have experienced:

di-HJ1K.gif

I'm not even sure what to suggest actually. For all of you who have experienced the news navigation issue.
Please tell me which browser (with version number) that you are using. And just to clarify - you will see the new posts section at the top of the news section posts. The page should change to show all posts in the news section though...

J.

SignsSupport

I think many of us assumed that by clicking on the page numbers on the bottom that it would cycle the forum posts, not whatever is below it. (ads?)
Nope legacyborn - The page navigation cylces post from the Signs101 News Articles section.
I wonder if placing a button that links to the New Posts directly beneath the 10 newest posts widget would kinda clarify the misunderstanding?... Okay... I have an idea... I'll post the slight revision in a little bit.

J.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
What those who commented about the page not advancing are looking for is what was central to the old vbPortal display of "Recent Threads from Our Forums". It would take one back to view the titles of threads in chronological order for the previous two weeks at the rate of 30 threads to a page. It typically would contain 15 to 20 pages of recent threads whether the member had read them or not. It simply represents an alternate way of viewing threads that evidently some members had become used to using. Conversely, the News threads were a part of that and the News Blocks you have set to look at older news through page changes were never cycled in the past.

FWIW, I think the current approach is counter-intuitive. Most viewers are looking at the Recent Threads and when they click on page 2 expect the next oldest threads to be displayed ... not the News below them.

SignsSupport

What those who commented about the page not advancing are looking for is what was central to the old vbPortal display of "Recent Threads from Our Forums". It would take one back to view the titles of threads in chronological order for the previous two weeks at the rate of 30 threads to a page. It typically would contain 15 to 20 pages of recent threads whether the member had read them or not. It simply represents an alternate way of viewing threads that evidently some members had become used to using. Conversely, the News threads were a part of that and the News Blocks you have set to look at older news through page changes were never cycled in the past.

FWIW, I think the current approach is counter-intuitive. Most viewers are looking at the Recent Threads and when they click on page 2 expect the next oldest threads to be displayed ... not the News below them.
Fred Weiss - The old vBulletin install actually made use of vBAdvanced. I've created some fabulous homepage design with vBA. It's my all-time favorite vBulletin plugin. Unfortunately it is dead. It hasn't been developed for years and will no longer be developed, as development and support was "OFFICIALLY" ended in 2014.

That being said - I will be posting an announcement thread about some of Xenforo's features. I think you'll also be (somewhat?) pleased with the changes we've made to the current XenPorta2 homepage design, which I absolutely believe is superior to vBA in every way imaginable. Of course - That's my opinion - And I'm sticking to it.

Another nifty feature of Xenforo is the Recent Activity section. You'll find the link the "Home" dropdown menu and/or sublinks. I'll post more about it in the announcement thread.

Oh "Nifty"!..... I can understand the delay...that's all cool... considering the load of requests for changes in page width, appearance, how to's and other adjustments of the apparatus. As the administration is fully aware, I had a "Gallery" (which was a standard part of the old vbulletin) within my profile. That particular gallery consisted of some photos that I no longer have. During the change-over, it all went away....I'm sure that I'm not the only one affected....now it's my job to try and re-create my "Gallery"? Imagine that....
Okay SignosaurusRex - I see you mocking me and it's perfectly fine. The word nifty is great, under-appreciated and goes unused far to often :)
We will hopefully be bringing the old vBAlbums content online soon. As for recreating your gallery... The new Media Gallery is full-featured and superior to the old PhotoPost and the vBAlbums functionality. Like vBA - PP is a dead script and is no longer being developed. I'm not quite sure about it's support, as I don't own the script... But I can tell you that the last development update it received was in 2014. As I've told you - The import from vBAlbums will not recreate a new section in your profile. So yes indeed. If you'd like images to appear in your profile - you must create an album or albums and upload the images via the Media Gallery.

Our apologies for bringing you new, enhanced functionality..

Everything working fine here with the new upgrade Thanks
Signs & Designs - I appreciate the positive feedback. We hope you're enjoying Signs101 on the Xenforo platform.
If you have any questions about functionality or suggestions on how to make the upgrade better - just ask. Thanks.

I'll update the thread with the announcement link a little bit later.
We appreciate you guys' patience as we complete the upgrade.

J.

Status
Not open for further replies.