Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News We're Back Online With Our New Design!

Discussion in 'Signs101 Website News' started by Signs101Admin, Jan 24, 2017.

Like our new design? Vote in the poll and post about it...

1. Yes. Sorta brilliant.

22.8%
  2. Eh...

38.6%
  3. Nope. Kinda sux.

38.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phenex

Phenex Member

Sep 22, 2015
    NW IL
    Hi,

I was not trying to nitpick, I was trying to follow your request. You had asked members for constructive feedback and I thought by posting with a picture highlighting what I perceived to be an area that could be enhanced was in the spirit of that request. I kept my post direct and factual with no intention of being accusatory on denigrating the work you have done. I also did not ask for an immediate fix, just pointing out something I thought could be improved . The highlighting in your reply was added by you not me.

Could you tell me how I should have posted my suggestion so it would not have been taken as nitpicking?

Thanks

2. Correct Color

Correct Color Member

Sep 6, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Maybe it's just me, but my main complaint is that the page 1, 2, 3 and etc. buttons on the Home screen don't work. Not the forward or back buttons either.

I can click on any of them, and it refreshes the screen, but I stay on page one. Since the way I used the site was always just to follow the home page, that makes the site just almost unusable to me, so it is a pretty big beef.

Mac 10.10.5, and I have the same problem with Chrome or Safari.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Signed Out

Signed Out Very Active Member

Aug 6, 2010
    Upstate NY
    These side by side screenshots show how much easier on the eyes the old layout was. Also fits more threads in the same space, 7 vs. 5, this made for less scrolling and easier navigation. I know you've done some modifications to address this, but everything still seems to run together in the new format, also the grid styling of the old format makes it easier to read through and distinguish between different threads, etc. Any chance of modifying the look more like the old layout?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2017
  4. petepaz

petepaz Major Contributor

Feb 14, 2007
    NJ/NY/PA
    looks good just a matter of getting used to navigating the site.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Okay, so here's another question...... not a complaint.

What is a profile request ?? I don't even remember how I stumbled into it. I can't duplicate it

6. gnemmas

gnemmas Active Member

Nov 7, 2006
    CA
    I got stuck on first page, clicking next or number 2 or 3 or 4, still show first page one only, but page count will advance.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Correct Color

Correct Color Member

Sep 6, 2007
    Austin, TX
    "Just tried it and is working for me."

That's a pretty curt reply to a paying customer. It's not for me. Are you telling me you don't intend to fix it?

8. Signs101Admin

Signs101Admin Owner

Sep 30, 2016
    New Jersey
    Depending on how you read it in your head and you current disposition it could have sounds curt, but I was not, I am looking into it but as I will expect to see it's not the site but rather something on his computer maybe bollocking scripts from running. I have over 12 computers that I have in my office from windows XP to a mac and i'm on the site for most the day and test out every feature, so I don't thinks it's a widespread problem.

9. Signs101Admin

Signs101Admin Owner

Sep 30, 2016
    New Jersey
    Try clearing your cache, see it that fixes it.

10. 2B

2B Very Active Member

May 5, 2011
    TX
    same thing for me, tried FireFox and Chrome

cleared cache and cookies on both browsers, still doing it.

speaking of the home page, is there a way to increase the number of threads seen on a single page?
    If this has already been addressed, sorry for the duplicate post

11. Bigdawg

Bigdawg Just Me

Jun 8, 2005
    Sunny Florida
    Yep. Same thing here. Windows 7 Firefox browser

12. Signs101Admin

Signs101Admin Owner

Sep 30, 2016
    New Jersey
    I'm working on increasing the number right now, I am also trying to get the other problem fixed as well.

13. Correct Color

Correct Color Member

Sep 6, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Well, yeah, I suppose it could be that 'in my head' I read "Just tried it and it is working for me" as curt, when in reality it was really an exhaustive explanation of how you thanked me for alerting you to an issue, apologized to a paying customer for the problem, and were assuring me that one way or another you were working to a resolution...

Or it might have just been curt.

Anyway, I tried Windows 10, with Microsoft Edge, which I had never opened and never used before, and had the same issue.

So I'm thinking it is probably not my cache.

(Edited to add: I'd also point out that from my point of view, when a client calls me with a problem, whatever it is, it's always isolated just to them by the nature of my business. However, that they have an issue makes it "widespread" enough to demand my attention.)

• Like Like x 2
  14. SignosaurusRex

SignosaurusRex Major Contributor

Mar 7, 2007
    Washington State
    Has this been completed? Last I heard... it was sidelined for awhile. If it has.....??? My "Gallery" is still M.I.A. :confused:

15. SignsSupport

SignsSupport Support & Tech Administrator

Jan 16, 2017
    Cyberspace
    2017-01-31_22-14-52.png
    PhenexPhenex - We can't possibly please all of you. No way.
    I appreciate your candor and your post - but definitely found it to be nitpicking. As I pointed out in the side-by-side screencaps - The Xenforo homepage is a real, actual and substantial improvement from the vBulletin homepage. Perhaps we'll agree to disagree. But it's obvious ... The same exact info appears on both homepages' new posts widget. Perhaps the very small things are important...? IDK.

All-SignZAll-SignZ .. 7 vs. 5??? Seriously? That is nitpicking!
    I'm being facetious (in what I hope will not be interpreted as being a *****) when I say ==> Welcome to the internet. You need to scroll to view content.

At anyrate - I simply disagree with your assertions that the old layout was 'much easier on the eyes' and had 'easier navigation' ... So - I suppose we'll agree to disagree.
    I do not believe we'll be tweaking or changing the homepage layout much more than we already have. It's not my call.
    Thanks for your feedback.

GinoGino - I'm not *exactly* sure what you're referencing - but perhaps someone has followed you or what had been known in vBulletin: added you as a buddy?...

2017-01-31_22-17-53.png

IDK. Please clarify what you're talking about.
    Thanks!

Johnny BestJohnny Best - LOL Quite creative you are!!!
    I'm pretty sure we now know what nitpicking is.. EW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Those irritating bugs. GET AWAY!!! Bye. LOL

SignosaurusRexSignosaurusRex ... Nope. Not yet. And when we do get to the import - the images will not be a gallery, but a thread with images and no posted content. As far as I believe anyway.
    Feel free to upload all the images you like in the new Media Gallery. It's quite nice: https://signs101.com/media/

J.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  16. SignsSupport

Jan 16, 2017
    Cyberspace
    I too cannot replicate what some of you have experienced:

[​IMG]

I'm not even sure what to suggest actually. For all of you who have experienced the news navigation issue.
    Please tell me which browser (with version number) that you are using. And just to clarify - you will see the new posts section at the top of the news section posts. The page should change to show all posts in the news section though...

J.

17. legacyborn

legacyborn Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Winters, CA
    I think many of us assumed that by clicking on the page numbers on the bottom that it would cycle the forum posts, not whatever is below it. (ads?)

• Like Like x 2
  18. SignsSupport

Jan 16, 2017
    Cyberspace
    Nope legacybornlegacyborn - The page navigation cylces post from the Signs101 News Articles section.
    I wonder if placing a button that links to the New Posts directly beneath the 10 newest posts widget would kinda clarify the misunderstanding?... Okay... I have an idea... I'll post the slight revision in a little bit.

J.

19. Fred Weiss

Fred Weiss Merchant Member

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    What those who commented about the page not advancing are looking for is what was central to the old vbPortal display of "Recent Threads from Our Forums". It would take one back to view the titles of threads in chronological order for the previous two weeks at the rate of 30 threads to a page. It typically would contain 15 to 20 pages of recent threads whether the member had read them or not. It simply represents an alternate way of viewing threads that evidently some members had become used to using. Conversely, the News threads were a part of that and the News Blocks you have set to look at older news through page changes were never cycled in the past.

FWIW, I think the current approach is counter-intuitive. Most viewers are looking at the Recent Threads and when they click on page 2 expect the next oldest threads to be displayed ... not the News below them.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Signs & Designs

Signs & Designs Member

Apr 25, 2004
    North Jersey
    Everything working fine here with the new upgrade Thanks

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.