• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What are you cutting stickers with?

splizaat

So this question has come up in the shop quite a bit -- we get 1000, 2000, 5000 sticker orders...

Right now our process is to Print/Cut on the printer, take the sheet to our big table trimmer and trim all four edges off the sheet of stickers. Then cut them into rows of stickers, and take them over to our little desktop guillotine cutter (we got for $30 at office supply store) and cut the strips into individual stickers one by one.

Problem is this is taking a long time for the larger orders. So now that we're getting into bigger orders, a lot more frequently, we are looking for a cost effective way to streamline this process....

What is everyone else doing to fulfill larger quantity sticker orders?

Matt

splizaat

Is there a cutter that you can set to "auto feed" a set amount (adjustable of course) and chop automatically? That way we could load one strip and set it to cut every so many inches on it's own and just keep loading strips? or is that too much to ask? hahah

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If your workload is increasing so fast, you must be too cheap. Up your prices and then you can afford a better guillotine cutter and can cut like a 100 at a shot.

Or pay some monkey to come in and do it at night.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yes, I can.............. and I just did. :wink:

No, it's not always the case, but when one's business is set up for smaller scaled orders and suddenly becomes overwhelmed and nothing has changed.... word doesn't get around that you're too expensive or you'd start losing business. Sometimes your quality gets better, your service gets better or maybe your work vastly improves... and those are all reasons to increase your prices. If you're getting better all around, then charge for it. The only people I know that are working like a one-armed paper hanger are those working too cheap.

Now, I'll agree, you might pick up an account here or there and maybe a big one or two..... or three, but if you have to suddenly start discussing this in the shop how to produce faster..... well, I'll stick to your prices are too cheap, because you're not making money anymore.

If the word 'Cheap' offends you, then let's just say, you're leaving money on the table.

splizaat

haha I thought my prices are a little on the more expensive side...Our workload isn't increasing "so fast" but we've picked up a few larger companies (google locally, etc) who are now placing 5000 sticker orders on a regular basis instead of the 100-500 sticker orders we are used to.

Pat - Was wondering how you Get the strips to stay straight (i tried a binder clip but it was too heavy. Will try some staples and give that a shot. I'm spacing our stickers about .15 but maybe I'll give it some more and start blasting through them on the cutter. Time is more valuable than saving space on vinyl.

Was thinking about stepping up slightly to something with more of a direct downward cut instead of the rotating one we have now...something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Professional-...JQ62/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339449301&sr=8-1

Mike F

Is there a cutter that you can set to "auto feed" a set amount (adjustable of course) and chop automatically? That way we could load one strip and set it to cut every so many inches on it's own and just keep loading strips? or is that too much to ask? hahah

http://www.fotoba.com/index.php/en/products Those'll cut a whole roll for you, but they're pretty pricey. Have you thought of using the CustomCut feature in Versaworks? You can have the machine do a sheet cut after each row and then stack those strips up and cut several at once.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
orders of 1000, 2000, 5000? Those go to Stouse. Not worth it to cut all those down. I can do a buttload of other work while Stouse prints and cuts those.

splizaat

Have you thought of using the CustomCut feature in Versaworks? You can have the machine do a sheet cut after each row and then stack those strips up and cut several at once.

ohhhh!!!! Please explain. Did a quick glance through versa works and didn't see CustomCut in options? Walk me through!

splizaat

WOW...self-taught here....love finding new tricks like this. I'm usually doing runs about 36" long, sheet cut, then back it up > base point and have to hit print again. This will be good! Thank you!

parrott

We screen print larger orders 1k+ and digitally print smaller orders. With screen print orders its straight from the press to the slitter and then to our 54" guillotine and cut with in minutes. Digitally prints are hand trimmed to a manageable size and then to the guillotine.

J

john1

Could outsource it Matt, Stouse does die-cuts really cheap IMO and you don't need to sit there killing yourself.

Mosh

guillotine cutter for square and die cut for shape....back in the day (1990-94) we had a local off-set printer guillotine cut our large volume....he quit doing it cause the adhesive gummed up his blades.

Jasonx, my guys go faster than that on a manual shear cutter...cool machine though.

Gene@mpls

Heavy duty parallel blade guillotine - staple strips together- cuts
very fast. About $200 I think

Attachments

• DSC06131.JPG
    DSC06131.JPG
    153.4 KB · Views: 83
  • DSC06132.JPG
    DSC06132.JPG
    142.8 KB · Views: 109
  • DSC06133.JPG
    DSC06133.JPG
    150.8 KB · Views: 72

anotherdog

WE use the customcut on the roland for jobs in the hundreds, but be warned, keep a spare cutting strip (you are slicing through backing paper) and watch for blade wear. In the thousands we outsource.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
I have a Gerber EnVision 375 and it's setup to contour cut our Edge prints and then flip the vinyl over and backcut the decals do they "pop out" and also puts a split seam for easier removal of the backer.

Tim Aucoin

I have a Gerber EnVision 375 and it's setup to contour cut our Edge prints and then flip the vinyl over and backcut the decals do they "pop out" and also puts a split seam for easier removal of the backer.

Yep, this is what I do when they can print on the Edge FX! Works slick 'n' stuff like that! :thumb:

Some great ideas on this thread though. That parallel blade guillotine looks interesting... but then again, I have a Challenge 24" cutter for cases like this! :tongue: