• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What are you using to clean the glass for vinyl?

Colt

Looking to see what I could pick up locally to clean glass for vinyl install? I have been using denatured alcohol as I believe that should leave no residue. Not sure how well that cleans though. I do windex to clean the glass, then wipe down with denatured alcohol to remove residue.

Also, did a glass door and removed old vinyl. Noticed when wiping the glass that you could see where the old vinyl was. I guess that's called ghosting? I used adhesive remover and some other stuff and could not get that cleaned off. You can't see it when the glass is dry, but can see it when you get the glass wet. What is that, and how do you clean it off? The stuff I was using should have cleaned any adhesive off. Wondering if maybe the vinyl etched the glass? It's a glass door that is outside.

Saw Trax

Denatured alcohol could leave a film. It depends on what chemicals are added to it. I always performed a final wipe down with isopropyl.

-Larry

Colt

Denatured alcohol could leave a film. It depends on what chemicals are added to it. I always performed a final wipe down with isopropyl.

-Larry

Have read of isopropyl leaving a film and read that the denatured isn't supposed to leave anything behind.

GB2

Old Member
The ghosting on the glass is there because that area was protected from the environment by the previous vinyl. The rest of the glass was subject to UV exposure and fine abrasion so most likely there really isn't anything to clean off. A cleaning with something like the Bon Ami might help to even out the surface. You could even try toothpaste if it's necessary.

stusatwork

Toothpaste

I am a huge fan of CHEAP dollar store white toothpaste as a glass polish. I use it on CDs, DVDs, Glass. I even toothpast my windshield once a year. It won't take out big scratches but it does really well to even things out and remove surface contaminants as well as things embedded in the surface. I wipe it on with a microfiber cloth and polish just like a paste wax. Surface needs to be completely dry when you start. Then I clean the residue off with water (LOTS OF IT). Then a final wipe down with 70 + percent isopropyl. Let it dry thoroughly.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
I like Sprayway Glass Cleaner. Best glass cleaner I've ever used.

Haven't tried Bon Ami. From what I can tell you have to mix it with water to form a paste? Seems like it would be messy to clean up...?

Also, not sure if this is an issue, but the website says:

"This formula leaves behind a slight, invisible film that protects the glass from salt spray making it a favorite for boats and seaside homes. This film keeps mirrors from fogging up in the bathroom too."

on glass only.......Soapy Water spay bottle with two drops of baby shampoo, Large 6" Razor Scraper. And a Unger Black Blade Window Washer Squeegee. and PT to whip the mullins/frame edges. I don't think you will be able to remove the UV Hazing on the glass. If its a must for the job for whatever reason, you are best to find someone local the polish and removes scratches from commercial glass. try your local glass or tint (not cars) companies for referals.

Same here just gotta make sure you towels don't leave stuff behind...

not sure why anyone use paper towels to clean a glass or windows. they leave lint....

how i do it:

spay with soapy water, scrap with blade to edges and bottom from the top down, center out.
spray again, whip edges/frame with PT
then use a black blade unger squeegee to rid the water to the bottom and edges
and whip bottom edge where water collected with PT again.

if you have tinted windows or lay any amount of decorative frost (full coverage not logos), this is the only way it should be done. if you don't scrap glass particles could stand on there. such as paint splatter.

anther note...someone mentioned using adhesive remover on glass.....no no no no. soapy water and a blade is good. before you get crazy with the blade on any window ALWAYS check the glass for softness, if you hear a lot of clatter between glass and blade. then is either dirty or soft.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
I agree with using soapy water and a squeegee. I don't typically carry a window bucket with me so for small jobs, I use the Sprayway to clean and a Swiffer to remove dust before applying the vinyl. For large jobs, I definitely think a window bucket, mop and squeegee is the way to go. Water with dish soap makes removing existing graphics fairly easy (I use a 4" scraper). The soap helps the blade glide over the glass.

Colt

not sure why anyone use paper towels to clean a glass or windows. they leave lint....

how i do it:

spay with soapy water, scrap with blade to edges and bottom from the top down, center out.

if you have tinted windows or lay any amount of decorative frost (full coverage not logos), this is the only way it should be done. if you don't scrap glass particles could stand on there. such as paint splatter.

anther note...someone mentioned using adhesive remover on glass.....no no no no. soapy water and a blade is good. before you get crazy with the blade on any window ALWAYS check the glass for softness, if you hear a lot of clatter between glass and blade. then is either dirty or soft.

So you scrape the window down with razor blade even if you don't have to remove old vinyl?

I'll make up some soapy water and put in a spray bottle. And probably bring a clean water spray bottle to help remove the soapy water.

Then do final wipe down is 91% isopropal alcohol. I had read to use the denatured alcohol, but didn't know it leaves a film. I've already got 91% so I use that for final wipe down.

What soap are you mixing in with the water? Regular hand soap? I'd figure a few drops would be good in a full spray bottle.

shoresigns

how i do it:

Good tips. If you're spending more time cleaning the glass than you are applying the graphics, you're probably doing something right.

Question though: what's wrong with using adhesive remover? If you've just removed old vinyl from the window you aren't going to get all that adhesive off with soapy water. We use Rapid Remover, followed by soapy water to rinse off the remover.

Craig Sjoquist

Bon-Ami 1886 formula

How to clean glass

Clean rag, dampen & sprinkle on Bon-Ami 1886 formula ...( with cleaning windows this way you will know how much to use & how wet for rag & when )

Wipe window area to be clean .....let fully dry.
..With another clean dry rag, wipe window clean

100% clean no residue from anything left.
1 can lasts 100s of windows for under $2

Signs 'n' Stuff

The BEST clean for glass is:
Spry with a dilute dish washing liquid ( 2 drops per litre) light scour with white scouring pad.
Squeegee with a rubber squeegee, very important step as it removes any grit which could scratch in the next step.
Spray again with solution scrape with overlapping strokes with a single sided razor blade, squeege.
Spray again with solution scourer and squeegee.
Spray again with fresh water (no dish washing liquid) squeegee.

Window is now as clean as can be, cleaner than when it was manufactured.
Cheers Brett :Australia

visual800

Iso Alcohol and razor. If the glass needs anymore than that they need to call someone else.

I dont have time to be bonami-ing and toothpasting a glass, although these are all good suggestions for windshields that look like hell

SIGNTIME

I use the same three things for every surface to be prepped. 1- a citrus based cleaner (for adhesive removal and other stubborn contaminates) 2- water with a couple of drops of dawn 3- 91% iso alcohol.... i use good lint free paper towels and plastic razor blades if needed and regular razor blades on glass.