• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What are you using to clean the glass for vinyl?

So you scrape the window down with razor blade even if you don't have to remove old vinyl?

I'll make up some soapy water and put in a spray bottle. And probably bring a clean water spray bottle to help remove the soapy water.

Then do final wipe down is 91% isopropal alcohol. I had read to use the denatured alcohol, but didn't know it leaves a film. I've already got 91% so I use that for final wipe down.

What soap are you mixing in with the water? Regular hand soap? I'd figure a few drops would be good in a full spray bottle.

Thats right, scrap every window.....i tint also, anyone that has tinted cars, homes, or commercial buildings would back me up.....target baby shampoo....industry standard for tinters.

Good tips. If you're spending more time cleaning the glass than you are applying the graphics, you're probably doing something right.

Question though: what's wrong with using adhesive remover? If you've just removed old vinyl from the window you aren't going to get all that adhesive off with soapy water. We use Rapid Remover, followed by soapy water to rinse off the remover.

nothing is wrong with remover......just not on glass......and yes you will get all of it off with soapy water......spray and let it sit a couple mins, then scrap it away. and it wont leave any of those harsh chemicals or slick film residue on top like remover does, then you gotta get crazy with the alcohol to get it off. i did that when i started in the biz and would never use it on glass again. not to mention my solution is pennies on the $$$$$ compared to removers.

another note about scraping glass......if its soft it will scratch, always test a little sport to hear if it clatters your scraper blade......if it does it may be scratching. in that case you can use a "quicke or "Scotch" brands no scratch scrub pad, like you may use in your kitchen.

J Hill Designs

Bon-Ami 1886 formula

How to clean glass

Clean rag, dampen & sprinkle on Bon-Ami 1886 formula ...( with cleaning windows this way you will know how much to use & how wet for rag & when )

Wipe window area to be clean .....let fully dry.
..With another clean dry rag, wipe window clean

100% clean no residue from anything left.
1 can lasts 100s of windows for under $2

:thumb:

cmykpro

Bon-Ami 1886 formula

How to clean glass

Clean rag, dampen & sprinkle on Bon-Ami 1886 formula ...( with cleaning windows this way you will know how much to use & how wet for rag & when )

Wipe window area to be clean .....let fully dry.
..With another clean dry rag, wipe window clean

100% clean no residue from anything left.
1 can lasts 100s of windows for under $2

I just wanted to say I took your advice on the Bon Ami and ordered a few cans. Since you said it leaves no residue I was thinking this would be ideal to clean chloroplast boards before direct printing. BOY WAS I WRONG!

Yes it cleaned the surface and looked very good. However after cure our high adhesion inks were able to be wiped off with our bare hands with very little pressure. I thought it may be the board so I tried alcohol on the same board and ran another print and it stuck like super glue. This stuff may be good for glass but it definitely leaves some sort of film behind and is garbage for direct print...

cmykpro

I would hope you would realize there is a huge difference between a glass surface and a pvc based board....
Obviously... However when I hear of a product that works well and is said to not leave a residue I take it for face value. I'm always looking to try new product and I figured I would give this one a shot since it is labeled as an "All-Purpose" cleaner. Again, I'm sure it works great on glass however for those looking for something to prep PVC this is not the solution...

Baz

This is what i use.

If there is any large amount of adhesive to be removed i will first use some rapid remover.

No need to turn glass cleaning into a science.

Attachments

• 20140328_160949.jpg
    20140328_160949.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 92

Colt

This is what i use.

If there is any large amount of adhesive to be removed i will first use some rapid remover.

No need to turn glass cleaning into a science.

Do you wipe it down with something afterwards? I know they say to not use glass cleaner, then right after put your vinyl on because the glass cleaner can leave a residue.

TammieH

Bon-Ami 1886 formula nothing else cleans better

+1

If there is a film or a residue that can't be removed on glass, Use Bon-Ami

BTW, we use 99% Isopropyl and yes it can leave a residue, the trick...wipe it dry with CLEAN paper towels, alway use it in combination with Windex

Baz

Do you wipe it down with something afterwards? I know they say to not use glass cleaner, then right after put your vinyl on because the glass cleaner can leave a residue.

The glass cleaner i use does not leave any residue. I have been using this stuff for over 20 years. First at the shop i used to work at and in my shop since 2002. Never had any problems with adhesion. I also use this stuff to clean vehicles. Although on vehicles i also do a quick wipe off with alcohol after.

I buy it in cases from a company in Cleaveland, Ohio.

Colt

+1

If there is a film or a residue that can't be removed on glass, Use Bon-Ami

BTW, we use 99% Isopropyl and yes it can leave a residue, the trick...wipe it dry with CLEAN paper towels, alway use it in combination with Windex

So the Isopropyl can leave a residue? What about denatured alcohol? Does that stuff leave a residue?

I've got some Klean Strip denatured alcohol along with 91% Isopropyl.

Stanton

Also, did a glass door and removed old vinyl. Noticed when wiping the glass that you could see where the old vinyl was. I guess that's called ghosting? I used adhesive remover and some other stuff and could not get that cleaned off. You can't see it when the glass is dry, but can see it when you get the glass wet. What is that, and how do you clean it off?

That is not your problem. Plain and simple.

Colt

That is not your problem. Plain and simple.

I had thought it was adhesive not fully removed.

But people say it is from the vinyl being on there pretty much for years and stuff.

But I did a vinyl job on their doors. Then 3 months later, they had me redo it cause of a change. And I had noticed the same thing with 3 month old vinyl.

What would cause the "ghosting" on the glass from 3 month old vinyl that was removed? I wouldn't think that is a long time for exposure to cause it. Was thinking maybe the adhesive had etched the glass or something.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Goo Gone will take anything off.

Except Goo Gone. It seems to leave a nasty residue the has to be removed by other means.

Isopropyl and/or Rapid tac.

This.

Also, a little lacquer thinner on a clean wet cloth will work rather well. Unfortunately lacquer thinner tends to attack all manner of other substances.

Whatever you use, just get big chunks off and get it as clean as you can without resorting to heroic measures. Vinyl adhesive is somewhat, but not completely, forgiving. You're not prepping for surgery here, just slapping on some vinyl.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
I had thought it was adhesive not fully removed.

But people say it is from the vinyl being on there pretty much for years and stuff.

But I did a vinyl job on their doors. Then 3 months later, they had me redo it cause of a change. And I had noticed the same thing with 3 month old vinyl.

What would cause the "ghosting" on the glass from 3 month old vinyl that was removed? I wouldn't think that is a long time for exposure to cause it. Was thinking maybe the adhesive had etched the glass or something.

You have one surface completely unprotected from the environment and another that is completely protected. Simply cleaning a window has a micro effect on the surface. You really don't think that whatever's on the glass gets wiped away clean with no abrasion, do you? Likewise, just being exposed to the atmosphere changes the surface. Slowly, but change it does. That's why it can be problematic to cut used glass, it might not fracture where it's supposed to do so. It should come as no surprise to see a difference between what what covered in vinyl and what was not.

Trip59

Obviously... However when I hear of a product that works well and is said to not leave a residue I take it for face value. I'm always looking to try new product and I figured I would give this one a shot since it is labeled as an "All-Purpose" cleaner. Again, I'm sure it works great on glass however for those looking for something to prep PVC this is not the solution...

Cleans and polishes may have buffed the surface and removed the receptive tooth the material had to begin with, PVC being softer than glass.... same reason you don't cut and polish with a buffer before the next coat of paint, you only take it to (insert preference here) grit.

Colt

You have one surface completely unprotected from the environment and another that is completely protected. Simply cleaning a window has a micro effect on the surface. You really don't think that whatever's on the glass gets wiped away clean with no abrasion, do you? Likewise, just being exposed to the atmosphere changes the surface. Slowly, but change it does. That's why it can be problematic to cut used glass, it might not fracture where it's supposed to do so. It should come as no surprise to see a difference between what what covered in vinyl and what was not.

Okay. Just thought 3 months was rather short period for it to happen. Not too big of a deal as you only see it when it gets wet. Was just thinking about possibly getting a complaint in the future if they clean the glass and with the glass wet being able to read the old vinyl that was on there.

I'm going to be redoing their glass doors again. So will wet the doors and see if I can still see where the old vinyl was at.

Stanton

If your customer is complaining, tell them to buy new glass.

Schiest is the sun drenched way of reality.

YOU ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS.

Take a well earned three days off mid-week.

That's when you get the best rates.

Seriously, buddy.
PM me.

You are so over thinking this.

-Glenn

Colt

If your customer is complaining, tell them to buy new glass.

Schiest is the sun drenched way of reality.

YOU ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS.

Take a well earned three days off mid-week.

That's when you get the best rates.

Seriously, buddy.
PM me.

You are so over thinking this.

-Glenn

It's not a big deal. Was just interested in learning the cause in case I got a complaint or something in the future and could then explain it on the spot.

Stanton

It's not a big deal. Was just interested in learning the cause in case I got a complaint or something in the future and could then explain it on the spot.

I know what you're sayin'

Tell 'em that's the nature of glass.

There is Iron Oxide and SiOx monoxide whetever glass is made of
and it ain't your fault.

You can't be responsible for 2600 years of glass technology.

The proper term is, "**** off".

You decorate the window.
You never take ownership of the glass.

Why is this so hard for you also rands to grasp?

PM me if you got nothing better to do.

-Glenn