• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What browser?

Bly

Heh. We were on holiday at Angkor Wat and there were all these Chinese tourists.
I always take lots of pics so have no idea what half of them are when I get back.
This was a wtf one - not sure why they are pulling those disgusted faces but it struck me as funny.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Heh. We were on holiday at Angkor Wat and there were all these Chinese tourists.
I always take lots of pics so have no idea what half of them are when I get back.
This was a wtf one - not sure why they are pulling those disgusted faces but it struck me as funny.

Looks like two Asians looking at an impending meter about to hit Earth, and the lady in the front just ate a lemon.

"He was six-foot-four and full of muscles
I said, "do you speak-a my language?"
He just smiled and gave me a vegemite sandwich "

Well, I never knew that's what they said in that song...and now I know what a vegemite sandwich is..

visual800

I used Firefox forever and it seemed to become slow and bloated so I went to opera and love it. IF Firefox has changed I would like to go back to them it was a great browser, but the bookmarks on opera is very cool

I will never use Chrome or IE especially. As far as any of these "talking" thing in home I will never purchase one i have no need

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
You'd be surprised how quick Firefox is these days. After version 56 it was a complete rewrite I believe, so it works very differently in the background, using multiple processes rather than the old single threaded version.

Version 66 was released today with automatic blocking of auto-playing videos. A great feature for those websites which assume you have infinite speed and download quota.

WildWestDesigns

I used Firefox forever and it seemed to become slow and bloated so I went to opera and love it. IF Firefox has changed I would like to go back to them it was a great browser, but the bookmarks on opera is very cool

Just because it comes from China doesn't mean that it isn't good (Opera browser).

When FF brought out Quantum, it really changed it's performance. I think that was version 58 (or at least it could have been for the Linux varient, I'm on version 65 now).

Like I said, Chrome, Opera, Edge(Coming Soon), perhaps others, these are the big ones that I'm thinking about now are all Chromium based, just with different "bits" extra put in depending on where you are getting them from. Depends on what excess "bits" you want or don't want, depends on where you get your browser from.

bannertime

I use Chrome for work stuff, but Firefox for personal. Helps keeps things separate. Firefox with uBlock Origin, Facebook Container, and Canvas Defender.

Also, I'd suggest DuckDuckGo for most general searches. Work stuff, we'll use Google, but all my personal stuff and devices use DuckDuckGo.

There's not really any reason to switch to Firefox if you're going to continue to use Google, and not sure why anyone would use Yahoo or Bing.

signman315

Signmaker
I'm a Chrome guy but Firefox is a close second. I saw on television and my wife told me something similar about Mozilla/Firefox being some kind of socially conscious company. I'll probably get shredded on here for saying that bc I can't quite remember what it was and can't seem to find anything online about it (probably bc I'm using Chrome haha!) but I have a foggy memory something to that affect that made me think Firefox was doing good for the world, perhaps they are donating or a non-profit.... So if I can ever figure out what I can't remember it may be a motivator to switch to Firefox.

On a side note, yes all devices are listening to everything you say and do. They are called remarketing ads, they gather your data then remarket products to you that you are already interested in based on what they heard/gathered. I've personally set these up on websites/media and it's really not as shady as it sounds. Anything in the wrong hands is dangerous, but that's unavoidable unless we shun all advancements in technology. To be honest it's all about making money and we/they could give a crap about whatever other sensitive personal data that may or may not be gathered at the same time. It's such a massive amount of data that it's more than enough work to sort out what is actually valuable from a marketing stand point. I truly believe this was taking place long before the internet age and done via analog methods, information is power. My crazy hippy father (meant as a compliment) was 18 years old in 1969 and has claimed all his life that the things he says, mostly jokes, then show up on a national scale in a comedian's act, tv commercial, newscast, etc. I pick on him and suggest maybe if he wore a tin foil hat it would help. But in all seriousness he's not that far off, land line telephones would be a prime target before the internet age. I've also been made aware of situations where individuals are paid to pass the data along to the marketing firm....for example a company might look at a group of school kids and determine the "trend setters" in the group and then compensate them to plug their product in real world environments such as high schools...the other kids just think they've got their finger on the pulse and are up to date with the latest trend but in reality the product was spoon fed to them by a quiet marketing campaign. Or a manager at a given company may be compensated to introduce a product to their employees and report back on what they have to say about it after which the ad agency uses that data to market to a similar demographic...which is essentially the same thing as an online remarketing ad except by word of mouth. It's old news as far as I'm concerned, Americans (myself included) are the most gullable and easiest manipulated group of people on Earth, mostly due to their belligerent pride in themselves. It's a common laughing point outside of our country. We run around thinking we are hot s*** and in the know but really we are just walking the path that's laid before us while the ad agencies laugh all the way to the bank. I'll probably get shredded for this too and perhaps a little off topic but helps explain how data can be weaponized (not for marketing in this case)....if a country (such as Russia) wanted to attack their enemies but without physical war (maybe we call this a "cold war" lol) wouldn't it be easy to start spreading misinformation about vaccines being ineffective and harmful to a gullable bunch of Americans? And wouldn't that cause harm to their enemies, perhaps even an outbreak of a formerly non-existent disease like measles? Essentially causing the American people to wage biological warfare on themselves. Seems like a given to me. My biggest surprise is how ignorant to this we are, blissful bunch though :)

shoresigns

I'm a Chrome guy but Firefox is a close second. I saw on television and my wife told me something similar about Mozilla/Firefox being some kind of socially conscious company. I'll probably get shredded on here for saying that bc I can't quite remember what it was and can't seem to find anything online about it (probably bc I'm using Chrome haha!) but I have a foggy memory something to that affect that made me think Firefox was doing good for the world, perhaps they are donating or a non-profit.... So if I can ever figure out what I can't remember it may be a motivator to switch to Firefox.

Mozilla is the non-profit foundation that makes Firefox, and their slogan is literally, "Internet for people, not profit". They advocate for openness and transparency on the Internet, better privacy and security, and they have many other initiatives.

https://foundation.mozilla.org/

WildWestDesigns

Mozilla is the non-profit foundation that makes Firefox, and their slogan is literally, "Internet for people, not profit". They advocate for openness and transparency on the Internet, better privacy and security, and they have many other initiatives.

https://foundation.mozilla.org/

Bare in mind as well, the browser that is used in the Tails OS is based off of Firefox as well. A very good, hackable browser compared to others, for those that want to do that.

visual800

Im gonna check out firefox again, I miss that browser.....lets see if they have gone back to fast and light, thanks

SignsSupport

Support & Tech Administrator
Opera was my preferred browser for years. I still use the browser app on my android devices.

My favorite desktop browser now is Vivaldi though. It's highly customizable and works quite well for my needs. Just wish they offered a browser app so that the synchronization functionality is spread throughout all devices. It's coming soon hopefully!

SignsSupport