• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What browser?

Jeff grossman

Living the dream
Depending on what you are updating and what the updates consist of, those may screw things up as well.
Windows updates is turned off - I pick and choose due to unwanted windows driver updates - so far so good on equipment updates and graphic programs . And ALWAYS HAVE A BACKUP - easer to undo than reloading updates

WildWestDesigns

Windows updates is turned off - I pick and choose due to unwanted windows driver updates - so far so good on equipment updates and graphic programs . And ALWAYS HAVE A BACKUP - easer to undo than reloading updates

What version of Windows are you running? Win 7 and 8.1 after a certain update didn't allow for turning off updates (at least without using 3rd party solutions, which has it's own security concerns) and for Win 10, they have plugged up the ones that I was aware of unless you were able use them before getting the update that plugged up that work around (unless running 3rd party solutions here as well).

Always, always have a true backup.

Jeff grossman

Living the dream
What version of Windows are you running? Win 7 and 8.1 after a certain update didn't allow for turning off updates (at least without using 3rd party solutions, which has it's own security concerns) and for Win 10, they have plugged up the ones that I was aware of unless you were able use them before getting the update that plugged up that work around (unless running 3rd party solutions here as well).

Always, always have a true backup.

I have one win Xp , one 7 and win 10 all auto updates turned off - had an issue with win 10 drivers and had to delete and reinstall proper ones more than once . Manual updates , pick and choose .

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/75591-turn-off-schedule-windows-backup-windows-10-a.html

WildWestDesigns

This is turning on/off Windows Backup, not Windows Updates.

You can defer Windows Updates in Win 10 Pro and up (Win 10 Home, no such luck), but eventually you'll be forced to get them. Especially considering that the EOL for each major updates is 18 months after they were released (not when you got them, but when they were released).

It used to be that you could get around this by setting up your internet connection to "metered", but to my knowledge that loop hole has been plugged up.

Jeff grossman

Living the dream
Sorry wrong link - here’s the one I ment to post

Windows 10 automatically sets certain connection types as metered. This essentially means that certain connections, such as cellular services, often have data limitations and restrictions in place. Windows sets these as metered to prevent downloading tons of data that could prove costly. However, it is possible to set any connection type as being metered.

Step 1: Launch the Windows 10 Settings application (Windows key + I).

Step 2: Now click Network & Internet.

Step 3: Click Advanced options which appears below the list of Wi-Fi networks so you may have to scroll down a bit.

Step 4: Toggle the Set as metered connection switch to On. It is important to understand that this option will only affect the network you’re currently connected to, and that Windows will remember the setting.

wu1.png

Method 2: Using Microsoft’s Tool

Sometimes a very specific Windows update or driver update can be shown to be causing problems. Troubleshooting these issues or rolling back to a working driver or version of whatever has been updated can be problematic. It’s an extremely handy feature to be able to prevent Windows 10 from installing specific updates where required.

Step 1: Download the “Show or hide updates” tool from Microsoft.

tool-3.png

WildWestDesigns

Sorry wrong link - here’s the one I ment to post

Windows 10 automatically sets certain connection types as metered.

As I stated before, that ability of setting the connection as "metered" to avoid updates has been plugged up. Even the ability to force the "metered" connection via regedit has been removed. It is now a non-editable field. The method via regedit was the method I was using as the primary connection for this computer is ethernet, not wi-fi and that is the only way to "force" a metered connection even on ethernet.

If you have an old enough update, this is definitely a viable method, if you are buying new now, more then likely have the version with this plugged up.

Attachments

• No Metered.PNG
    No Metered.PNG
    369.5 KB · Views: 176

Jeff grossman

Living the dream
As I stated before, that ability of setting the connection as "metered" to avoid updates has been plugged up. Even the ability to force the "metered" connection via regedit has been removed. It is now a non-editable field. The method via regedit was the method I was using as the primary connection for this computer is ethernet, not wi-fi and that is the only way to "force" a metered connection even on ethernet.

If you have an old enough update, this is definitely a viable method, if you are buying new now, more then likely have the version with this plugged up.

Going to have to talk to my computer guy - got a new win 10 machine a few months back and he has it turned to manual updates only after I had major problems with win 10 updating and installing / overwritting drivers - kept having to fall back or delete and re install . Don’t know what he did but I’ll find out .

WildWestDesigns

Going to have to talk to my computer guy - got a new win 10 machine a few months back and he has it turned to manual updates only after I had major problems with win 10 updating and installing / overwritting drivers - kept having to fall back or delete and re install . Don’t know what he did but I’ll find out .

There are 3rd party solutions that will do that, for a variety of reasons I won't personally do that. I think there is a user here that has used one of their friend's scripts to keep Win 10 from doing updates. 3rd party solutions for things that should be baked into the settings as it is are just no bueno in my book. This is one of quite a few reasons why I no longer run Windows installed on bare metal (and I refuse to go to Win 10 unless it is just absolutely necessary), but I went with Linux.

A rolling release OS, which is what essentially Win 10 is, is a crap shoot (as it is in a perpetual state of beta) with every update and not very good for a production computer. Some don't have issues, but some do. My dad is the only one that has Win 10 and he has had an issue with every major update that has come out and he doesn't run niche software like you might find in this group here. Shoot one update killed his OS activation and his activation on MS branded software. That's a sign of a bad update. The network drive issue with one update (which to my knowledge hasn't been fixed) would be a major deal breaker for me now.

There are fundamental flaws within this OS the present problems from a stability/security standpoint. Which also translates to poorly written software as well for the platform.

Jeff grossman

Living the dream
There are 3rd party solutions that will do that, for a variety of reasons I won't personally do that. I think there is a user here that has used one of their friend's scripts to keep Win 10 from doing updates. 3rd party solutions for things that should be baked into the settings as it is are just no bueno in my book. This is one of quite a few reasons why I no longer run Windows installed on bare metal (and I refuse to go to Win 10 unless it is just absolutely necessary), but I went with Linux.

A rolling release OS, which is what essentially Win 10 is, is a crap shoot (as it is in a perpetual state of beta) with every update and not very good for a production computer. Some don't have issues, but some do. My dad is the only one that has Win 10 and he has had an issue with every major update that has come out and he doesn't run niche software like you might find in this group here. Shoot one update killed his OS activation and his activation on MS branded software. That's a sign of a bad update. The network drive issue with one update (which to my knowledge hasn't been fixed) would be a major deal breaker for me now.

There are fundamental flaws within this OS the present problems from a stability/security standpoint. Which also translates to poorly written software as well for the platform.

Went into settings and yes can only snooze updates for 35 days now and yes he wrote a script to put updates in a file for manual install . I haven’t found the script yet but will see him in the next week or so and find out what he did .

WildWestDesigns

You know most updates are security patches right.

You know that twice a year MS releases big feature updates right.

If they just forced security updates, I could actually get behind that. Security updates for the most part don't cause issues (unless they break security, for instance, when High Sierra was released, the root password issue). It's the forced feature updates, not once, but twice a year. From a company that historically has a problem with getting updates done correctly. Some of that I could understand as there are a lot of hardware/software combinations under the MS ecosystem.

Given that, forcing updates (whose customers are their beta testers, I don't think they actually have any employed testers) that are big feature updates, to me, doesn't make much sense and I've been a consistent Windows users since I was a little kid during the DOS days (I missed the Xenix days though, just a smidge too young for that).

MS had some fundamental concerns, at least in my mind (so take it for what that is worth). From how permissions are handled (both user and program based permissions) and from the driver mess (the fact that everything has to have a driver installed on top of the OS). My wacom driver and even as simple as a bluetooth driver (which is actually an adapter, it came with a CD of Windows drivers, but on Linux, the drivers are actually baked in) are baked into the kernel, which makes for a far more secure, reliable and feature rich compared to something that is tacked on top.

I remember when Win 10 came out, maybe within the first year, year and a half, they found and plugged up a bug that had existed since Win 95 and it was still there in Win 10. The ability to run legacy programs (and back then during the 9x days, they were poorly written from a permissions standpoint as well) does have it's cons.

Now to tie it all back into a thread about browsers, with an OS that has that type of concern (regardless if you have an anti virus, regardless how you conduct yourself on the internet with or without an AV) would make me very very very leary of having a Windows run device on the internet, especially one that is used for production. Add to that that most production programs are going subscription based as well, not a very good picture.

If you haven't had any issues great, I'm glad for you, there hasn't been one major update that hasn't screwed up my dad's computer (and he likes the latest and greatest tech), even killing the activation. Even Jeff grossman in this thread and said that he had issues with updates that hurt production. It's a real concern.

Jeff grossman

Living the dream
Agree 100% - I have one machine used for e mail and receiving files only so I can scan them before using that is updated regularly. my production machine only gets design program updates and color profile updates for now . Down time = no $$ My problem was win 10 wanted to overwrite my print drivers to win 10 drivers making my printers and plotters bricks . I always backup before updating to external HD , had a problem with the restore option once .I guess every 6 months or so I could bite the bullet and do a massive update and if I have to delete/ reinstall drivers so be it - takes about 1/2 hr if all goes well . Sunday project .