• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What do you remember...................

Marlene

my mom collected stamps and I remember that one. wasn't there other colors like green and a pink for different amounts?

none of us is old enough to remember this but think about it anyway. there was no plastic anywhere in use on the Titanic. can you even imagine building a ship of that size with no plastic of any kind?

GypsyGraphics

Wham-O Kaboom guns (they shot air....). Loved Schwinn-Built bicycles and putting playing cards in the spokes.
OOOH, Kaboom guns!!!! My brothers would never let me play with theirs and my parents would get me my own. But I did have a great Schwinn Sting-Ray bike, sting-ray handle bars, banana seat and sissy bar (great for pulling your sister on skates)...way cool!
Stin-ray.jpg

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
my mom collected stamps and I remember that one. wasn't there other colors like green and a pink for different amounts?

none of us is old enough to remember this but think about it anyway. there was no plastic anywhere in use on the Titanic. can you even imagine building a ship of that size with no plastic of any kind?

There was no plastic on the Nina, the Pinta, and the Santa Maria for much the same reason that there wasn't any on the Titanic. It didn't exist then.

Pat Whatley

There was no plastic on the Nina, the Pinta, and the Santa Maria for much the same reason that there wasn't any on the Titanic. It didn't exist then.

Bob...you're wrong again. The Titanic sank in 1912. Polystyrene was invented in 1862, PVC was accidentally discovered twice in the 19th century. It may not have been on the Titanic but it did exist.

bob

Here's another one we ALL remember... even if you never saw it live !!

At the risk of dating myself, I used to see it live. Howdy Doody, Buffalo Bob, Chief Thunderthud, Princess Summerfallwinterspring, and Clarabelle the Clown. The clown was Bob Keeshan who later achieved some notoriety as Captain Kangaroo.

bob

Bob...you're wrong again. The Titanic sank in 1912. Polystyrene was invented in 1862, PVC was accidentally discovered twice in the 19th century. It may not have been on the Titanic but it did exist.

Actually it was 1839 but it took until the early 1930's before anyone tried manufacturing the stuff. For 80 years it was merely an interesting chemistry experiment.

Marlene

think about building anything of any size today without the use of plastic was the point. it's the same for thinking about the moon mission where all the computing power wasn't much more that what we have now for a hand held calculator. we have become so accustom to certain things like plastic, mircro chips and such that it is hard to imagine anything today without them. there weren't any baggies or plastic wrap when I was a kid, only wax paper. I would be lost today trying to figure out how to wrap a sandwich without my Handiwrap!

ChiknNutz

Merthiolate. I couldn't find any decent pix of the stuff my grandma always tortured me with, er I mean lovingly applied to my wounds as a kid. I remember that it was in a squarish glass bottle and it was merthiolate or mercurachrome I believe, heck maybe both of them. I remember it being different than either of these pix here.

Attachments

• mercurochrome.jpg
    mercurochrome.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 78
  • Merthiolate.jpg
    Merthiolate.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 64

Pat Whatley

I don't know about yours but my Grandmother firmly believed in scrubbing cuts and scrapes clean first using, as I remember it, a high-speed angle grinder. The only good thing about the Mercurochrome was that it burned so much you forgot out the pain from the scrubbing and the pleasing red color of the Mercurochrome would hide the inflammation from the scrubbing.

dwt

Wow, This thread should be called "The rabbit hole to way back when..." Like Bob Hope said "Thanks for the memories"!