• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What do you remember...................

Steve C.

Anyone remember the Cushman Eagle? I had one when I was 13-14. Didn't even
need a license for it. A Scooter dressed up to look like a motorcycle.

Attachments

• 1958-Cushman-Eagle_and_Roadking-001.jpg
    1958-Cushman-Eagle_and_Roadking-001.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 92

Marlene

yep, Gino I remember bomb shelters. Grammy had one. remember learning to dive under your desk at school? as if the desk would help in a nuclear holocaust!

Bigdawg

Just Me
Getting up at 7 on Saturday mornings because that was the ONLY day cartoons were on... and I wasn't missing a thing.

and don't get me going on soda... the only one we were allowed to drink was Tab.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Gino is that a bomb shelter?
A relative had one.
He dismantled it in the late 70s and gave us the food.
It was still edible. hahaha

I guess you could call it that. We called them 'Fall Out Shelters'. It was to shield you from radiation fall out attributed to the big blast the Russians were gonna send our way. We even had routines to follow in school. We used to have fire drills and fall out drills in school. I always wondered if this stuff could go through thick brick and cement walls and travel through the dirt... what was the sense of putting my arms over my head. So they'd burn off before my head did ??

Steve C.

Getting up at 7 on Saturday mornings because that was the ONLY day cartoons were on... and I wasn't missing a thing.

and don't get me going on soda... the only one we were allowed to drink was Tab.

:thumb:Saturday Morning! Yeah! I rarely got soda it was Kool Aide or Iced Tea.

Jillbeans

We got a glass of pop and a bowl with potato chips and pretzels in it on weekend evenings.
But I was a spoiled brat, my dad's JP office was in our basement and he had a Coke machine down there. I learned where the key was kept and used to enjoy those little bottles of Coke. Had the cavities to prove it, too.
And the dentist would smack you if you didn't hold still.
On a side note, may have said this before, but Sly Stone was arraigned in our basement for some sort of speeding ticket on the turnpike.
I also think the serial killer Stanley Hoss had been in our basement when he was arrested.
There were always policemen, who sometimes used to handcuff me for fun.
And Daddy did a lot of weddings, once in the middle of the night with Mom in her housecoat as a witness.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Around here before going to Sunday School we watched a program called Bertie the Bunyip.

bertie the bunyip.jpg

Tim Aucoin

Tim wasn't that "Land of the Giants"?
I can remember thinking that there were little people inside our hi-fi set.
I was pretty gullible though.
Remember the milk box on the porch?
And PDQ for in your milk?
I liked PDQ right out of the jar too.
And the old pre-Mother Nature Chiffon ad:
"If you think it's butter, but it's not, it's Chiffon!"
We always sang, if you think it's butter, but it's SNOT.

Good call Jill! I remember loving that show and fantasizing that I was a "little person". I remember imagining how long a cookie would last me, or a chocolate bar...mmmmmmm!!!! It's funny, because most people I talk to these days don't remember Land of the Giants. I wonder why they never made a movie based on that show.... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Rodi

Jillbeans thanks for the Stanley Hoss info, I have always liked reading about Serial killers and you just introduced me to a new one, how nice!

Jillbeans

Here you go then GG.
Can you find me?
Can you tell I liked scissors?
PS
Rodi I was just talking to my sister and she said Stanley Hoss stole her boyfriend's car.

Attachments

• 1967 age 5.jpg
    1967 age 5.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 101
going and gettting crates / flats of Pop Shop Pop...

original new york seltzer in the glass bottles

zots and then zot powerpacks lol and washing them down with a jolt cola on the walk to grade school in the morning.oh those lucky teachers

candy cigarettes

Jillbeans

I am in the second row.
Notice I always kept Mom's rule about pretending there was a quarter between my knees.
:)
That may also have been the day I peed my pants.
And that teacher paddled me once for letting all the kids out of the classroom's outside door by telling them there was a ghost on the roof of the school.

GypsyGraphics

Awww, look how cute you are!!! I was going to guess HER, but I thought you'd have been more careful with the scissors there if that was you.

Last edited:

GypsyGraphics

Guess which one is me.
See that boy in the front row, third from the right, his name is Timmy. We thought we should get married that day, since we were already at the church and dressed for the occasion. I think he changed his mind because I got gum stuck in my hair, my mom cut off about 6-8" and made me look like a baby.

Would you look at the size of that class... 50 kids! There's a "remember when" for ya... state laws against classes that size now.
FirstCommunion.jpg