• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What do you think of my new logo?

thesignguy1986

Hey there just wondering if anyone wanted to tel me what they think of my logo. I kept it SIMPLE so there isnt any misunderstanding LOL. It is a bright green with black it doesn't show up well due to Flexi running slow and weird as usual so I took the pic with the phone. Well have fun and don't beat me up to bad LOL.

Also the reason for the clock is because I have a quick turnaround and do most things if reasonable same day.

thanks

Scott

Attachments

• 0327102018.jpg
    0327102018.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 202

TheSellOut

Thanks for sharing first off, now lets get constructive...the layout and font kinda suck. The clock I really like, hopefully it is hand drawn, and I think you could build off of this! The one thing is that he doesn't say is "signs", he is just a clock, but like I said you could build either in the name by saying "The "on-time" Sign Guy" (your legal business name could still be "The Sign Guy", you'ld just be adding an adjective that ties in the clock) or by dangling a sign from his left hand thats just hanging out there!! Go search logos, find ones you like, don't rip them off, but study their layouts and use them to help in yours. A good place to start is brandsoftheworld.com, browse around their site for a while. Please post your progress!

Last edited:

thesignguy1986

ok I'm liking this

Well I did a little more work and tell me what you think I do like this one

Granted another cell pic so not the best but what do you think?

Thanks for the opinions

Attachments

• final.jpg
    final.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 126

SignManiac

Green with a black outline isn't going to work and isn't necessary if you're putting it on a white or light background. The black screws up the contrast next to the green.

thesignguy1986

Maniac I do agree somewhat though due to my crappy running of the program I can't export really for some reason so I snapped the pic with my phone. The green is actually a bright almost neon green which really pops. I do understand what you are saying though and appreciate the tip.

Flame

You bought a plotter and are just learning to use it with the program, ain't ya?

Honestly, buy a LOT of design books and start practicing because that's a pretty bad start. It'll take awhile but if you dedicate yourself you'll get there.

thesignguy1986

Flame I do appreciate your input though if you see the top I said I'm keeping it easy and simple. I have actually been doing signs for 9 years and have had my shop for just over 5 years. I learned the trade when I was 14 and I have Photoshop, Illustrator, and all the other goodies but I wanted something simple and to be honest I'm pretty happy with this. I actually have a guy who does alot of graphic work for me but when it comes to my shop logo and such I don't want anything elaborate. I will post some nicer work this week on here so you can take a look at it and see that its not all just vinyl cut letters and such LOL. Thanks for the input as well though

Mosh

•Thinner outlines
•lighter fading in the backgorund
•more line spacing in the copy
•more kerning in the copy, from a distance it looks like a big blob of green and black
•phone number is too squeezed looking, more kerning on that too.
•clock looks like some cheap clip-art

Fix all that and you will have a start.

Fitch

I think a logo has to have longevity. A great source of information is one of the two Dan Antonelli books, but there are many others.

You asked for some opinions, and I would suggest that it is worth revisiting. Not the worst I have seen, but far from the best. I hear you in respect of the time you have been in the "sign industry", but maybe now is the time to break down what makes a logo. Follow the same basis of design.

After 5 years, I would ask if you have challenged yourself in this area.

Here is a quick mock taking YOUR brief, of simple, indicating quick turnaround. Very basic, but acceptable, and would probably not be considered as "nephew art", which to be honest - and there is no offence meant here - yours is close to that.

Please don't be offended or dismissive. YOU ASKED. Others may have a very different opinion to me.

Attachments

• signguy.jpg
    signguy.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 116

thesignguy1986

thanks for the tips mosh and fitch i do really like your idea thanks it gives me something to work on a little more tomorrow and see what i can come up with

thesignguy1986

Also I appreciate all the comments good or bad thats why I did ask I just want it to be understood I'm a sign maker not a graphics artist. I do have a guy that does that stuff for me but I specialize in more of the simpler stuff to be honset. Though I do many full color items and such I personally do alot of the store opening signs things like that as to where when the nicer stuff is done I let my graphcis guy normally design that. He has designed me a couple things but though I'm the boss he insists on not including a clock and thats something i'm stuck on....

I really do appreciate all the comments and opinions so far though and if your harsh don't worry bout it I'm just happy I'm not the guy who made the Ricardo Carpet sign LOL

Bradster941

First, you don't need to bump your own thread every 40 minutes.
All threads remain highlighted as Un Read to those who have not read it yet.

Second, I'm pretty sure there is only 12 hours on the face of a clock, not 13.

Dan Antonelli

THe composition is really awkward. On my site there are a few dozen logo design articles to download to maybe help with some fundamentals. The books also might help, but if you wanted some immediate info, that might be a starting point.

When you study logo design, you can really break it down into fundamentals, which makes it much easier to understand proper composition. There are generally 4 or 5 basic structures 95% of all logo utilize, and as such, starting from one of them is usually gives you a better foundation to build your logo from.

There's also no shame in actually hiring someone else to do this for you. Sometimes it's really hard to do your own stuff, and be objective about it. Logo design and sign design, while related, are two different animals.

signgal

Although Fitch veered from your design, he did keep the idea you wanted to convey and it's very professional looking. Sometimes cheesy can work in a retro sort of way and I get that feeling from your original. Rick and Jill come to mind for this type of work. you'll want their input...

Also, you need to figure out a way to get this exported as a decent file if you really want constructive criticism, so you don't have to spend have your time explaining colors, etc.

That said, my first observation to keep it close to the original is that "The" needs less attention, smaller, simple block font... maybe loose the outline. Use a different face on the clock for originality and definitely use Fitch's tagline with the clock or people will never make the connection of the clock and the sign guy.

B Snyder

Although Fitch veered from your design, he did keep the idea you wanted to convey and it's very professional looking.

Sorry gal but neither the original poster's design nor Fitch's are "professional looking." Seriously, looks at Dan's site and then look at these two examples and tell me either of them are "professional looking."

Last edited:

Fitch

G'day BSnyder

A "quick mock" is a quick mock, similar to a sketch and was only meant to give a variation on a theme.

I certainly endorse the page that DA is on. Dan does logo design as a primary source of income, and as such would certainly repect not having any rendition of mine compared to his (it's an insult to Dan). When a certain level is required, I go to the people (like Dan) that have the skill, experience and currency as to what is working in the marketplace as trends change.

That said, I would certainly like to see what you might bring to the table so to speak, as a variation.

Curiosity is one of my failings - and sometimes wonder what the alternatives are.

Last edited: