• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What does your shop smell like?

G

Ginger

I went to a business class a few weeks ago and the speaker said that customers have about 7 seconds to determine if your business is a place they want to shop at. In those 7 seconds, they take in the sights, sounds and the smells. So what does your shop smell like?! What would you prefer it smell like?

Pat Whatley

Today it smells like old, fermented pee because of a sewage issue with the building behind us.. I'd prefer it smell like anything else.

dwt

The showroom smells like vinyl, however the garage bay smells like pure inspiration.

"Deposit Please"

Our shop smells like a pack of cigarettes, from the heavy smoking morons next door. The cigarette smoke finds it way into our unit, just a poorly built place. Not exactly the smell you want to wiff all day.

jiarby

Pinto Bean Farts

My old place used to smell like Garlic & General Tso's Chicken. Chinese Take Out reataurant was next door! Drove me nuts!

sos224

When you first enter the building it smells like the plug-in floral air fresheners we use. My husband says they make him sick! Since the girls work the shop, we do not care what he thinks, though we do have to go find where he hides them once in awhile.

jiarby

determine if your business is a place they want to shop at.

No one ever called me on the phone and asked how my shop smelled. They want to know what things cost, and what types of products we make.

People will drive 45 miles each way to save $10 and stand waist deep in a pile of chicken poop for really good deal.

We sometimes laser stinky stuff... Leather, Acrylic, Rowmark, etc.. Noxious stuff. One time, a lady sent her kid outside to breathe but she stayed to write up her order. I forgot to ask if the kid would have rather we sprayed lavendar and rosemary.

I did try a Glade Plug-In (oh yeah, and a $5k carbon filter exhaust systems) but the air freshener didn't fool anyone.

I hope your class was free.

surf city

Usually just smells like vinyl and ink, unless the dog is hanging out in the shop and on those days I get the added smells of pitbull burps and farts and of course his feet smell like fritos most of the time but, he's fun to have around.

Steve C.

White Lilac and Lavender... My wife burns scented oils in the office/reception
area. I like vanilla. Shop smells like turpentine and production room smells like
Mutoh.

Jillbeans

I try to keep my office smelling nice with candles and stuff.
Customers are not allowed into my garage, it smells like paint and stale beer.
Had a problem over the summer with some damn neighbor cat spraying outside, took forever to get rid of the stench.
I agree, if I walk into a place and it smells yucky I am less inclined to do business there.
Smells invoke strong memories, remember the rubbing alcohol smell of the old doctor's offices and dentists? Or the permanent wave solution smell at the beauty parlor?
Altho I love to go to an auto body and smell all the cool scents there, like GoJo and thinner.
Love....Jill

Not sure how the shop has smelled in the last couple weeks due to a bad bug I'm still trying to get over...can't smell anything! Last I was able to catch a whiff it smelled like that new shop smell cause we just moved in.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ours has different smells according to where you're at, but for the most part... a solventie kinda smell mixed with paint. Right now, something died in our refrigerator and that seems to have permeated the shop, but it's Okay.

Years ago, a lady came into our shop. She was asking questions about signs like prices, sizes and whatever and she said.... what's that awful smell ?? I sniffed around and said, sorry, ma'am but I don't smell it. A minute or two later she said, what is that horrible smell ?? I'm telling you, it's making me sick. I again said that I don't smell it and called the guys out from the back because my sniffer ain't what it used to be. Anyway, they didn't smell anything either. She said she had to go outside that she was getting very sick. Outside I asked her to describe the odor. She said it smelled like paint and was nothing she smelled in any of the other sign shops she was in so far.

I laughed and said, we're a sign shop and we paint signs for a living. You're smelling all the paints and solvents in the air. I'm sorry, but we're used to it and it doesn't offend us at all. I went on to tell her the other shops only use vinyl and pre-colored substrates because they don't have the whereto-do to do it any other way. She informed me that she couldn't do business with me and would go to one of the other places. I asked her if she wanted to continue the conversation with a phone call. She said that would work, but she couldn't come over to look at anything. I told her we had faxes, e-mail and regular snail mail for her to see anything and she agreed to go with us... even though she couldn't stand the way we smelled. :ROFLMAO:

brush1

Like a laundryroom. I have dryer sheets attached to the back of my 2 printers. They do good job to take static from media.

Mainframe

I burn a cinnamon candle in the showroom & a pine candle in the work area, people love the mix & always comment on it.