• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What is legal?

Chriswagner92

So i skipped over this thread since the video of operation repo, so forgive me if this has been said.

1: 50% deposit upfront
2: If no 50% deposit, keep credit card information on file.
3: charge remainder after sign is finished/installed.

people are bastards and will always try to get more for less so dont trust anyone.

jen.reelez

So i skipped over this thread since the video of operation repo, so forgive me if this has been said.

1: 50% deposit upfront
2: If no 50% deposit, keep credit card information on file.
3: charge remainder after sign is finished/installed.

people are bastards and will always try to get more for less so dont trust anyone.

I think this will be a clear and good business agreement/idea. :thumb:
(though it's quite better to require an upfront deposit :Big Laugh)
Just need to stick to what has been agreed. :peace!:

After all, honest people will be rewarded and be more blessed. :wink:

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
Legal Smeagle
If you are not gonna go take the signs back...or sue him.
Just have your lawyer put a Lien on the property . That may not get you paid any faster but it will keep the owner from getting loans or selling.
And if it is in a shopping center , the landlord will not like having liens put on the property.

This would be my first action ... Send them a "Payment expected in 30 days" notice telling them if they don't attempt to pay by then you are putting a lien on their property (house, business, whatever) ... payment almost always shoots through.

As for your payment agreement ... do you not have things from late fees, to when money would be expected as well as actions that will be taken if they don't pay on your accounts you give credit to? are they net 10, net 30, net 90? do you have any sort of signed notice at the end of the job letting them know this?

I mean all jobs should be 50 down, 50 on arrival ... but we all have that one or two that we are like "eehhhh, pay me later .." ........ have a payment agreement for those.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I think I read this when it first came out, but so many posts were almost the same and all used pretty much the same words.

People defending doing something illegal to gain monies from deadbeat customers is really bad advise, no matter who says it ain't.
Also, in all those defending or making up scenarios, did you notice how many people were saying..... what if, if this, if that, suppose, well if, not always and so on.......... and here the reason it wasn't paid for was it was all defective work and workmanship. Things happen, but you can't tell me no one mentioned to the OP that he had mistakes to fix before they were gonna pay in full.

The same reasoning behind getting a car from the mechanic and paying for it up front and it's not fixed correctly.... that guy better fix it immediately since he's caused me major inconvenience and possible danger.

Ya just can't let shoddy work looming around town and then expect people to pay for it. :rolleyes:

other options

We have change our payment policy since than but years ago we were told that it is trespassing to go and take the sign down, unless we have a written contract stating we could remove if not paid.
We have a client who we do all his signage for (trucks, posters, store front etc.) He did a job for someone and they didn't pay so he came in and asked us to make a huge 4' x 8' corplast sign ( yes he paid for it) that said SO and SO does not pay his bills, he stuck it on the side of his van, drop by the guys business. He than set off his alarm system. He reported back that the chq was brought out to him in less than 5 min. He has done this 2 more times to a couple of his other clients. It might help that he is a really big guy as well.
but again it is an option

Gino

Premium Subscriber
This is a mock up of the one we used and it gets immediate results, like signed said.

pay your bill.jpg :smile:

hansman

Hello everyone thanks for all your comments (and yes even the scolding's) I ended up covering up there sign with a large blank banner and some rope. a few hours latter I got a call promising me payment next Friday.... this is the first time I have heard from them in months so hopefully this will work out.

Man what a classic thread. Some really good suggestions in here!

OP finally took the situation into his own hands and dealt with it. I would at first think "you dont pay me I will simply take the sign down" However this is not 1865!
Now there could be retribution from the customer......
This could end up hurting you in google reviews or social media posts, etc you name it.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
The original poster is from Colorado,
His best bet now would be to get the guy stoned - have him sign over everything he owns - don't give it back until he pays for the sign....

wayne k
guam usa

jrsc

Go ahead and take the sign back. You can get away with most things as long as you don't physically harm someone. Think of it this way. If the guy can't afford to pay for his sign then he can't pay a lawyer to go after you for taking it back. I also like the idea of replacing it with a sign repossessed due to non payment sign.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Go ahead and take the sign back. You can get away with most things as long as you don't physically harm someone. Think of it this way. If the guy can't afford to pay for his sign then he can't pay a lawyer to go after you for taking it back. I also like the idea of replacing it with a sign repossessed due to non payment sign.

If someone steals your car, you don't need a lawyer to go catch the thieves.

Take it down a notch...... you go to the store and fill a cart full of groceries. Instead of paying, you tell them you'll pay them later and run out the store. They don't need a lawyer to run after you.

Where are you people getting your logic ??

Just because you have the ability to take it down, doesn't mean you have the right to do so.

It's very simple.
You did the job and whether or not it was done correctly or misspelled or wrong colors, that sign belongs to whoever's wall you put it on. They're inability to pay you is on you and that's a civil matter. Needs to be taken up in court, with letters, lawyers or whatever path you choose. It's not their fault, you didn't follow through on YOUR OWN contract and didn't collect the money, regardless of what the scumbag promised you. Now, taking the sign down with or without permission is really stealing. It's totally besides the point that he didn't pay you, but you're still stealing someone else's UNpaid for merchandise. It's still stealing. That is a criminal offense. You have now entered yourself into a different form of law, from civil to criminal and depending on what the sign is worth, you could even do jail time.

You people telling someone else it's alright or just do it should be ashamed of yourselves. No matter how easy it is....... you can't tell someone publicly or behind the scenes to do something so stoopid. Keep that kinda advice to yourself. Suppose someone followed your advice and got caught.... are you gonna bail them out and pay attorney fees and all the other stuff for your dumb stoopid wisdom ??

threeputt

Just go take sign down and wait for the phone to ring. Trust me they will call and I would not be in any hurry to contact them back. Some on here say you will get in trouble I say I have done it and will do it again. It is very quick and effective.​

Bad idea, bad business, and illegal.

Laz0924

repossetion of signs

The laws differ from state to state, in Florida you cannot use deadly force to protect property.However once you install the sign you cannot take it off because they didn't pay you, a better option is to file a lien against the property there are some prerequisites to filing a lien, you first have to file a notice to owner if you are not in priviety with the owner or the person you sold the sign to doesn't own the building. And there is a time limit to file the notice to owner 45 days from when you first started the job then after the notice I believe you have 45 or 90 days from the last time you were on the job to file the lien.
Check your State laws as they differ from one state to another.
Owners of buildings don't like liens on their property sometimes just filing the notice to owner is enough to get you paid has worked for me, all of a sudden they were in a hurry to get me paid hahaha