• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What kind of material would work best here???

Moze

I'm more curious who it was that plagiarized the design...

Attachments

• Logos.jpg
    Logos.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 54

appstro

Does not sound like you'd be able to handle something like this....you might hire a sign shop to make it for you...takes more than a sticker cutter to be a sign shop...LOL

Seriously, you have spent more time thinking about this than it should to make it.

1 sheet of composite, 1/4th sheet of .040 and some VHB and there you go.

LOL, ...yeah.

Can you be very specific about your approach and give me a few pics, links and direction on how to make the sign this way???

Mosh

Good luck, all of those material expand with heat and will de-laminate from the HDU.

appstro

Good luck, all of those material expand with heat and will de-laminate from the HDU.

You keep telling me my approach is bad but then offer no real solution that you are willing to explain in detail. Can you give me some advice or help me figure out a way to complete this project so that the sign will look professional? I am doing my best to learn all I can, but I admit that I need help here. I really would appreciate your knowledge and expertise if you are just willing to show me or tell me what needs to be done. :)

Moze

4'x10' sheet of .063" aluminum. Cut your shape out of one portion, use the remainder for your 2" returns. Form and weld the 2" returns to the panel. Apply digitally printed vinyl graphic to the face. Clip-mount the finished piece to the wall.

Mosh

Same thing I said moze, but I use composite and use VHB so I don't have to re-paint.
I think the OP is just a sticker guy in over his head....

John Butto

pvc fun

tools needed, table saw with blade and dado blades, jig saw and hand tools pvc glue
Have a plastic place or do it your self, cut 1.75" strips of .5" thickness pvc (approx $60)
Purchase 6mm 4x8 ($150) metal composite and do as instruction shows.
Make all your 45's and dado cuts and glue together to form back
Print out logo on vinyl with overlam and install your 2" thick sign

Billct2

With your experience & skills, the 2 pcs 1" HDU glued together, cut to shape, Painted (not laminated with some plastic), then apply the print

appstro

These are great ideas guys. I really like the aluminum idea. The problem is I dont have any experience bending or welding aluminum... Hmmm...I like the PVC idea, but I wanted the 2 inch back to be formed like the logo. I really liked how you sketched it up too :) AWESOME!

Any books or videos you can direct me to that can teach me how to make channel lettering properly. What tools are needed etc.

Maybe I will call around locally and see if I can sub this out.

By the way. I AM a decal guy in over my head and I WANT to be a sign guy. I am grateful for your advice guys. I wont ever become a sign guy if I dont learn and this is the best place I know of to do that :) I have done alot of cool projects in the last 3 years and I learn more from every one :)

Marlene

So I find another shop with a large flatbed printer and they can print directly to the HDU? Then I just seal it?

if I were making it I would outsource it to my wholesale source and they would spray it with a UV clear coat. if you have a large flatbed and can do a direct print, then yes, you would print it, cut it to shape and seal it. can you do OCE printing on HDU?

appstro

With your experience & skills, the 2 pcs 1" HDU glued together, cut to shape, Painted (not laminated with some plastic), then apply the print

I was advised to use PV bond for the two parts.

Any advise on proper paints? I was told all kinds of different paints, but I think semi gloss black enamel "one shot" is what I will use...

I was advised by the HDU manufacturer to us this Primer: FSC-88WB

appstro

if I were making it I would outsource it to my wholesale source and they would spray it with a UV clear coat. if you have a large flatbed and can do a direct print, then yes, you would print it, cut it to shape and seal it. can you do OCE printing on HDU?

No I cant do OCE printing, but I do know a shop about 30 miles away that can do it. Will the print look OK directly on the HDU? Will it last?

J Hill Designs

I was advised to use PV bond for the two parts.

Any advise on proper paints? I was told all kinds of different paints, but I think semi gloss black enamel "one shot" is what I will use...

I was advised by the HDU manufacturer to us this Primer: FSC-88WB

Both PB Bond and FSC-88WB are made by coastal so yeah they are the correct bonding agent and primer. I would prime 3 times personally. 1 shot flattened down will work fine.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
The red 'A' you pictured was a single letter, but you're indicating you're gonna make a solid box cut out with vinyl or digitally printed faces.... kinda like a free-form channel letter.

If you're Hell-bent on doing this yourself, why don't you just laminate with an outdoor glue a mirrored finish to a 2" piece of HDU ?? Mask the mirrored side while being CNC routered. Leave the mask on and spray the edges. Insert a few set pins in the back and glue fast to the wall from a pounce pattern you made for the guy CNC'ing the letters. Or just order what you need from Gemini. They have exactly what you need. To get some extra relief off the wall, just do an off-set stud combination.

We do this all year long inside and outside.

You talk about learning to become a signguy. First lesson is to not always say yes, if you can't even do step number one of the entire project. Sure, you hafta learn, but not something like this at a customer's expense. There's no way you can do this without subbing the vast majority of this out. Let's go a little further..... what do the permits cost to instal this thing or aren't you installing it ?? Also, as a sign business, are you qualified to go up there and do this kind of work ?? Does your insurance cover you if you fall off a ladder or drop a tool on someone's car or head ?? What happens if the glue starts oozing out from the heat onto something expensive below you and you don't see it right away. Are you covered ??

You need to explicitly ask your insurance company what you are and aren't insured for, cause after the fact, you can't afford for them to say, sure you have insurance, but not for something like that........ :omg:

John Butto

There was somebody on here about a month ago with pics of how he made pvc channel letters. Think he is from OK and a talented sign maker. If you want to use the pvc to fit a curve you just heat it up and bend it to the shape you need.