• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What kind of material would work best here???

appstro

Hey everyone :)

I have a mechanic client that is wanting a sign above is shop roll up door. The sign area is an overhang that is faced with stucco and looks like its very easily accessed from the inside. All the other mechanic shops in the business park here, appear to have "foam" lettering with a plastic face. I have no idea how they are attached! :) My client wants his logo in a similar material but all one piece. The stuff in the business park looks like Home Depot crap to me but not sure....Anyway, after studying the different options I came up with either precision foam board or ultra board for the material. I read a few posts here that say that ultra board or gator board may work with alot of prep, but is also not really the correct material for the job. The precision board seems to be the only other option but its ridiculously expensive and seems a bit overkill. He wants his sign to be 2 inches thick and the size will be 10 feet wide. I cannot find a material other than precision board that will fit this bill. If you have a better solution I am all ears and welcome your opinion as always.

My plan I guess, since I have never done this before, is: Buy one sheet of 1 inch thick 4 foot by 10 foot precision board. Cut it in half lengthwise and use glue to put the two halves together to make a 2 inch thick 2 foot by 10 foot piece. Its about $100.00 cheaper than buying a 2 inch thick 4x10 and has much less leftovers. Then I would mount .060 pvc or styrene to the face of the precision board with some type of glue so that I have a nice flat surface to mount my print to. Not sure on the glue yet. Then I will print and laminate his logo and mount that to the board. I would then contour cut out the logo out of the foam board. Then prime and paint the sides and back. Then drill about 8 holes in the back and put nutted studs with epoxy glue for a good hold. That way the sign studs can be just slipped into holes that will be drilled into the stucco and nutted from the back. Since I do not have a C45 installers license my client will either do a self install with permit or have me look for a licensed installer. He hasn't decided yet. I am pushing for a licensed installer so that he doesn't ruin all my hard work. :)

So am I going about this in the correct way? Am I using the correct material? Are there cheaper or better options? What preparation would you suggest? Did I forget anything?

As always THANK YOU for your experienced opinions and suggestions. :thankyou:

TXFB.INS

you need to get set up with the wholesaler Gemini Lettering http://www.signletters.com/ they have outdoor grade foam lettering, how to properly install them and the install pattern so the letters are installed correctly spaced.

If the customer is wanting "cheap" then properly done outdoor foam letters is not the "cheap" route.

Mosh

Then I would mount .060 pvc or styrene to the face

That will wrap in and look like crap in 6 months. You are WAY over thinking this simple job.
Fabricate an aluminum pan box sign and mount your print to that.

All this "foam" talk is making me sick to my stomach that a "professional" sign maker would even consider that for outdoor use. Unless to are calling HDU "foam"....

Again, this sounds like a simple everyday job, you are turning it into work.....

Just explain to him "aluminum" vs "foam" and I am sure you can sell them on it.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
To reduce all the confusion, why don't you post a picture or two of what the other people already have. Your description kinda stinks so far.
You have us all going in a thousand directions. And yes, I did read your post all the way through and it's quite obvious you don't know what you're doing or talking about, thus the need for real photos. Photos don't lie.

petepaz

Gemini can make custom logos as well as letters. you might still want to talk to them. even if you don't want them to do the job at least you can see what material they would use for outdoor use and just get the material and make the sign your self. I would think you want a plastic or metal sign. I know they have some foam materials for outdoor use but they don't hold up as long.

appstro

This is what I have in mind. You are right..I dont know what I am doing. I am learning as I go. The client knows this and thats why I am asking questions. I want to know how to do this right. The sign MUST be 2 inches thick. Thats what he wants. The length is 10 feet. Whats an aluminum pan box sign look like? wha? When I say foam I am referring to HDU or "precision board". What options do I have here? What would you use?:thankyou:

OverGaragex2.jpg

Marlene

first off, a shaped sign with that much detail is not a cheap sign. customer needs to get over that. you can have it OCE printed with a UV clear coat on HDU and have that router cut to shape. that is how you can make a "foam" sign. dont go to Home Depot and buy some cheap crap and glue the junk together. it is embassing at best to put out stuff like that and as a sign person, you should know better

Mosh

Cut to shape like that I would use a 10' sheet of aluminum composite and the put 2" .040 aluminum returns on it. Simple job, just like fabricating a 10' long chan letter.

appstro

here is what all the other shops are using. Its like some kind of plaastic capped foam. Its everywhere at the complex and the birds have had their way with it. I suspect its just Home Depot crap...with a PVC cap !cid__IMG_20130505_085119_217_.jpg

appstro

first off, a shaped sign with that much detail is not a cheap sign. customer needs to get over that. you can have it OCE printed with a UV clear coat on HDU and have that router cut to shape. that is how you can make a "foam" sign. dont go to Home Depot and buy some cheap crap and glue the junk together. it is embassing at best to put out stuff like that and as a sign person, you should know better

So I find another shop with a large flatbed printer and they can print directly to the HDU? Then I just seal it?

appstro

Cut to shape like that I would use a 10' sheet of aluminum composite and the put 2" .040 aluminum returns on it. Simple job, just like fabricating a 10' long chan letter. $1,200 - $1,500.

I dont really have the knowledge to do that myself or a resource for fabricating that kind of sign and that certainly seems alot more expensive than the HDU. If we went that far he might as well have it lit. But his budget isnt going to allow that.

Mosh

Have you priced HDU? Doing it with composite and .040 will cost 1/4th of what you are going to have in HDU....and I guarantee will last longer....one good hail storm and HDU is toast. Been there done that.

appstro

Yes the HDU is VERY expensive. Dont get many hail storms in San Diego though. Where would I get something like this fabricated in aluminum??? Can I do it myself?

Mosh

Does not sound like you'd be able to handle something like this....you might hire a sign shop to make it for you...takes more than a sticker cutter to be a sign shop...LOL

Seriously, you have spent more time thinking about this than it should to make it.

1 sheet of composite, 1/4th sheet of .040 and some VHB and there you go.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Your first picture looks like a flatbed or digital print applied to some relief substrate.... your choice of substrates.

Your second picture is a typical Gemini acrylic laminated on foam letter, which is not recommended for outdoor use, but will hold up for a few years outside. However, with the center cut through like that, it is most definitely a home-made piece if crap using inferior products. You need to find a good source and go from there. Your OP is a true hack's method of approach. I wouldn't go in that direction at all. Do it right or don't do it at all.

appstro

OK so what I am gathering here is that my initial research is correct. I will bond the 4 x 10 1 inch thick HDU to make a 2x10 - 2 inch thick panel. Then I will bond some kind of plastic to the face (PVC, Styrene, Acrylic) and apply my digital laminated print to that. Then use a jig saw to cut the contour of the sign. Then primer, sand, enamel paint and seal the entire thing. Then insert the studs in the back with epoxy and I will have my sign. Does that sound about right?

Picture one is my comp or mock up.

Picture two is what all the other mechanics have above their doors...