• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What would you charge for these yard signs?

Maybe, maybe not. :Big Laugh

What I do know is that I just sold a simple 36x24 for $125. There are Cadillacs and there were Yugos, and nobody has anything good to say about a Yugo. When lawyers and doctors gets rate in excess of $300 plus per hour, I consider our industry's rates and offerings to be extremely inexpensive.

If they (customers) want cheap it would be better to donate the job or hand them box of crayons.

Here is something everybody should ponder.....

I once read a study (no, I no longer have it) that stated if every mechanic in the US simultaneously went on strike, the US economy would come to a screeching halt in three weeks By the same token, without signs we would have nothing but mass confusion, that would eventually lead to harm and destruction.

People in our industry all too often devalue the importance of signage - all while they complain about not making money.

Last edited:

Drip Dry

so twice as big, same price.
OK, just checkin'

...when I saw 18x24, I thought maybe I wasn't the only one who thought the prices in this thread were low.

isign is right, 25.00 is crazy, even 45.00

I would charge 90.00 for one. (60.00 1 side, 50% higher for 2nd) Now I discount because it's 12 pieces and it's simple one color.
I would charge 60.00 and throw in the 2nd side.

my only overhead is the materials.

Does this mean you work out of the house ?
You don't have a phone... or lights...or equipment ?

25.00 is why nobody makes money in this business. It hurts us all.

Service Sign Co

Around here a 2x3 with 2 step stakes d/f 1 color 45 -50 ea. I made a simple no trespassing 4x4 for 40.00 once and the customer expected every 4x4 sign to be the same price. Didn't happen, just be careful with the low prices,you could get stuck in a rut

jiarby

my only overhead is the materials.

All your equipment is overhead, when it gets old you have to buy another one. The costs for the building where your equipment is located is overhead along with it's utilities. Do you have computers? Do you draw a salary or pay employees?

It costs a new McDonalds franchise close to a million dollars to build out a new restaurant before he can sell a single burger and I promise that he doesn't think that the only overhead he has is some meat & a bun. I guess if you have a skillet at home that you could be in the restaurant business too!

If you guys keep doing elcheapo work based on a small margin over your materials cost then it will be hard to scale your operation big enough to do serious money. At $25 you have to do 110 a day, 365days to gross $1M!!
You'll have to get a larger space, hire help, but you'll be stuck with a low price reputation. When you raise your prices you will lose all your lowball loving customers. You can't just look at "I'll make $300 today".... How are you going to make $3000 today? And tomorrow, and the day after. Your $300day is only 75k/yr (gross) if you do it every day 5days a week. That's a mediocre job, not a business!

One of my local competitors has serveral plaques on their wall for outstanding sales volume (a big franchise store). IN 2006 they had months of 148k, 225k, 248k, 265k, 175k. They didn't get there by selling $25 signs. They come in at 8am, and leave at 5pm, don't work weekends or holidays. I called him to ask if they were open Monday (Labor Day) and he scoffed at the idea of working a holiday! I'm stuck working all weekend and only doing 10% of what he is...

gvgraphics

I would charge 90.00 for one. (60.00 1 side, 50% higher for 2nd) Now I discount because it's 12 pieces and it's simple one color.

I am only a few hours from Shovelhead and I have to agree, I would get about $35 each here but in this area as well as Shovelheads you will get no sales trying for more. We have been there and done that.

It all comes back down to the economical ability of an area. But that is a thread in its own.

jiarby

You won't build a big business doing $30 signs unless you set up your business and do so many that you need a forklift to unload your materials every few days (doh! A forklift would be overhead!!).

My understanding is that if you DIDN'T do the job for $30 then you wouldn't be making ANYTHING that day. If that is the case then I guess it is better than nothing.

Shovelhead

My full time job.....

is as a graphic designer for a sign company. Everything else is play money to me.
Therefore, my statement stands....only overhead is materials.

iSign

I quoted $60 ea for a handful of double face 18x24's last week... simple one-color, text only.. that particular guy bought from me once for his new franchise haircut place, & I also noticed signs he bought elsewhere... he left saying the price was too high. Good riddance! I only wasted 30 seconds quoting him, & I went back to my $250 digital printed 3x8 banner.

Last year I sold $5000 worth of coro signs for a political campaign. They were always run several dozen at a time & were full color prints. $25 for single face 18x24's, and $50 for single face 24x36's. There will always be people who won't pay your price, but if you're willing to let them walk away, you will prosper enough to be there when good paying jobs come along, & soon you will be too busy to care about the cheap guys.

Everyone is welcome to sell anything as low they see fit, but when it amounts to lowballing jobs out the door that real business people would lose money on... it is not idle speculation to say that this is what creates the lower perception of value in the marketplace.

These facts do not presume to change the behavior of others, but the rights of others to leave money on the table won't change the damaging results of that behavior either.

gvgraphics

I quoted $60 ea for a handful of double face 18x24's last week... simple one-color, text only.. that particular guy bought from me once for his new franchise haircut place, & I also noticed signs he bought elsewhere... he left saying the price was too high. Good riddance! I only wasted 30 seconds quoting him, & I went back to my $250 digital printed 3x8 banner.

Last year I sold $5000 worth of coro signs for a political campaign. They were always run several dozen at a time & were full color prints. $25 for single face 18x24's, and $50 for single face 24x36's. There will always be people who won't pay your price, but if you're willing to let them walk away, you will prosper enough to be there when good paying jobs come along, & soon you will be too busy to care about the cheap guys.

Everyone is welcome to sell anything as low they see fit, but when it amounts to lowballing jobs out the door that real business people would lose money on... it is not idle speculation to say that this is what creates the lower perception of value in the marketplace.

These facts do not presume to change the behavior of others, but the rights of others to leave money on the table won't change the damaging results of that behavior either.

I agree 100%, the only problem around here is that I have tried for higher on coro and didn't sell one. Most shops sell 18x24 for around $15 here. I sell them $25 double sided and thats is pushing it when they can go elsewhere to get them. Don't get me wrong, some do leave and go elsewhere because of the price but some still use me. I would rather sell less than the other guys and make a few extra bucks than them selling at $15.

S

SignTech

wow... the world is sooo different in other places
I would never have to work that hard for $300
Holy smokes!

I charge those prices for single face 12" x 18" (less for 12 pcs though)

at $24 ea, that's $2/sq. ft. and a lot more time laying down vinyl (cut or printed) then if it was a big banner. People here grumble about $2/sq. ft. banners (as well they should)... but they would work harder on this junk, for less? ...and throw in stakes too??

by the way, what kind of stakes will hold up a 2' x 3' sign?
(not those little cheapie coro kind I hope)

I'm a little surprised this thread lasted this long. iSign has a good point these are larger then the basic 18x24's which we sell two sided one color vinyl up to 5 for $21.95, honestly we do not do many yard signs anymore.

The 24x36'ers would need better support ... it's a bigger sign ... even at count of 12 (which is a small order) at least $40 bucks and a heavier stake. If they gasp ..... well what can we say "here's a marker and some construction paper" ~M

gvgraphics

The larger ones do need to go for more, 24x36 with wood stake I would probably sell them at around 35-50 with stake. You can get a sheet of 4mil coro and get 4 signs per sheet, that would be around $2.50 a sign plus vinyl and stake. Total into them would be around $10 depending on vinyl, stake and so on. So a sale ay Say$40 is $30 profit for about 20 min per sign and thats $90 per hour, not bad in anybodys book.

njsigns

2007 Sign Craft Pricing Guide:

$67 for 1 d/f 2'x3' 4mm white coroplast sign - Basic layout w/ Intermediate vinyl without a stake of any kind - and this is for a shop rate of $44/hr!

I would personally be at $61.50 each, with 5 minutes of design time and using economy vinyl, the stakes are extra. That also includes a nice quantity discount!

I see so many people here saying they charge $75/hr - $125/hr and yet are charging cut throat prices like $20 on stuff like this. What gives?

Are we trying to put each other and then ultimately ourselves out of business? Maybe if we tried to get closer to being on the same page with pricing, people would actually pay what we ask rather than haggling and going to the guy that will soon be out of business. The same guy who also managed to greatly devalue what we do. So many say "you can't be afraid to lose the job" and "stick to your prices", yet I see so many charging a fraction of what they should be... work for profits, not wages.

JMHO

Gene

BTW - I have no problem getting $85 for a single - 2'x3' - 1 sided - 1 color -pretty basic, yet attractive layout, on 4mm coro. You have to ask for it.

KARYN BUSH

wow...$20-25 for a 2 sided 2'x3' with a quanitity of 12? ..that's just mental! some of you are like working for below minimum wage...real smaaaaart.
i'd make more $ being a walmart greeter...and i'd have benefits.

i just did 2...one sided, calender on coro 27"x36" one color....$125...and i thought that was fair.

i could see if someone was ordering a whole bunch for a campaign or something...but 12 for that price? man some of you people are cutting off your own dicks.

i totally agree with isign....ya can lead a horse to water but..........

Last edited:
wow...$20-25 for a 2 sided 2'x3' with a quanitity of 12? ..that's just mental! some of you like working for below minimum wage...real smaaaaart.
i'd make more $ being a walmart greeter...and i'd have benefits.

i just did 2...one sided, calender on coro 27"x36" one color....$125...and i thought that was fair.

i could see if someone was ordering a whole bunch for a campaign or something...but 12 for that price? man some of you people are cutting off your own dicks.

i totally agree with isign....ya can lead a horse to water but..........

I am TOTALLY 100% convinced that there are MANY people in our industry that would make more money working at a regular job than working for themselves. It is truly sad I shake my head in frustration daily having these conversations with other sign shops who simply don't believe they can not get the prices they would like.

goldunicorn77

Thanks everyone for your thoughts--
I now have a better idea of yard sign pricing!
I've done a couple "cheap" jobs in the past just trying to get my name out there and also for some "practice"----No more! I'm in this to make money!

Drip Dry

All your equipment is overhead, when it gets old you have to buy another one. The costs for the building where your equipment is located is overhead along with it's utilities. Do you have computers? Do you draw a salary or pay employees?

It costs a new McDonalds franchise close to a million dollars to build out a new restaurant before he can sell a single burger and I promise that he doesn't think that the only overhead he has is some meat & a bun. I guess if you have a skillet at home that you could be in the restaurant business too!

If you guys keep doing elcheapo work based on a small margin over your materials cost then it will be hard to scale your operation big enough to do serious money. At $25 you have to do 110 a day, 365days to gross $1M!!
You'll have to get a larger space, hire help, but you'll be stuck with a low price reputation. When you raise your prices you will lose all your lowball loving customers. You can't just look at "I'll make $300 today".... How are you going to make $3000 today? And tomorrow, and the day after. Your $300day is only 75k/yr (gross) if you do it every day 5days a week. That's a mediocre job, not a business!

One of my local competitors has serveral plaques on their wall for outstanding sales volume (a big franchise store). IN 2006 they had months of 148k, 225k, 248k, 265k, 175k. They didn't get there by selling $25 signs. They come in at 8am, and leave at 5pm, don't work weekends or holidays. I called him to ask if they were open Monday (Labor Day) and he scoffed at the idea of working a holiday! I'm stuck working all weekend and only doing 10% of what he is...

Excellent points

There will always be people who won't pay your price, but if you're willing to let them walk away, you will prosper enough to be there when good paying jobs come along, & soon you will be too busy to care about the cheap guys.

All too true

iSign

20-25 for 18" x 24"!!!

too late... can't sew it back! :Oops:

Thanks Karyn... we needed someone who won't pull any punches to wake some of these people up!
(I thought I used to be one of them someone's ...but true to form, you have upped the ante :cool1: )

Also, speaking from experience, many clients take pride in their dealings with well endowed pricing... plus, if you provide great service, & extra attention to effective layouts... these are the same type of people you will retain for the long haul, because they were satisfied based on quality & service, rather then price.