• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Where to hire Mind Readers?

Farmboy

I know we're to blame for some miscommunications, but not all. Customer with a food cart ask for a sign with sausage and pepsi on it. They pay, we design and send a proof. Get a response back, "we sell sausage patties, not links. We sell pepsi in a can (we put a cup on the sign). We can't use this design, please correct and send back." Should we have asked if they sell links or patties, can, bottle or cup? Arggg! Also the one's that tell you exactly what they want, you send a proof and they send back something completely different saying, "we found this online and like it better, can we make these changes?" The busier we get, the more we seem to get of these. At least 2 or more a week. I know this isn't a new problem, I'm just curious how others deal with this. I want to post a sign right behind the desk, but I can't seem to find any words that don't sound like "Hey a#&hole!" if you know what I mean.

player

I found people can't tell you what they want until you show them what they don't want.

Build the 2nd design/revision into your initial price?

Last edited:

Christian @ 2CT Media

Welcome to the food industry!

We do a lot for Fair and Concessionaires and they are all like that! They reject designs because they have sesame seeds on the buns, or the lettuce in the picture is on top and they serve it on the bottom, The Hot dogs are pink and they serve red dogs... We've heard it all!

Now you know to ask every conceivable question before starting, you will still do something wrong.

Techman

Now you know to ask every conceivable question before starting, you will still do something wrong.

Profile very client,.
Praise yourself to them because you had the presence of mind to ask them the questions. Since you had the knowldge you must have the ability to perform well.
Prompt them for the deposit.

studebaker

Deluded Artist
First artwork is built into the sign price... But, the customer needs to be informed when you are taking the order (deposit), that revisions (not corrections) are $50.00 each, no matter how minor.

It's amazing how good your original artwork looks then!

T

TonyC

Tell them....

I tell them that my crystal ball fell off my desk and broke. They will have to tell me what they want until I can convince my insurance company to buy me a new one.

Joe Diaz

You should tell them to change their menu to match the sign... that people like links better and Pepsi in cups is more profitable. :Big Laugh

neato

I agree with the above advice about letting them know up front that you charge for revisions, I'm sure they'll be a lot more detailed with their descriptions if so. You also need to let them know that you're dealing with stock photos and clipart and that the selection is limited. If they need a specific product, they need to cough up the dough to hire a professional photographer. Otherwise, they get what they get.

I feel your frustration. I get vague requests every day like this. I think people are either in too big of a hurry or are too lazy to write a complete detailed email. It used to bug me, but now I just do the work as described and charge for revisions as necessary. I've realized that working for free is really the frustrating part. So now if I'm working on a design, I'm getting paid for it PERIOD. (unless I made a mistake originally)

Last week I had a guy who came in asking for a 36" x 36" sign to mount to the back of his tractor for parades. He came back a few days later and said he wanted a 26"x 26" instead because a 36" x 36" won't fit. A few seconds later he says "Well, maybe you should just make it a 25" x 25" to be safe. Then a few seconds later as I'm starting to write up a work order he contradicts himself once more saying to make it 24" x 24" instead. As I'm going over the details of the work order I mention the size is 24" x 24" and he says "No, I want it 25" x 25" and I know darn well he said twenty FOUR. So I quote him a price on the 25" x 25" and mention that it will cost around $30 dollars more at 25" x 25" so once again he says "Okay, just make it 24" x 24" then". I swear some people are just stupid.

mindless

some people have no concept of what it takes to be creative on the spot, art takes time, unless you copy someone else art and or idea.

Jwalk

I try my best to focus on what I can change not what I cant so best to start with yourself. When I reflect on customers like that I tend to see warning sign that they where under estimating the job. People in situations like these tend to assume that you know exactly what there thinking. So you got to tell them constantly that your crystal ball doesn't work.

Farmboy

Thanks again, some really great replies. Yes Neato, most of the frustration comes from working for free. The rest is from the one's that don't know what they want, but somehow believe that you have some insight into the workings of their mind.

2B

if you could read minds, how things would be so much easier on the design concept.

typically we will do the design as they describe and then offer a 2nd version using the same information but in a layout design that is of a better concept.

NEVER to revisions without payment!!! and make sure they understand this.

copythat

: )

I want to post a sign right behind the desk, but I can't seem to find any words that don't sound like "Hey a#&hole!" if you know what I mean.[/QUOTE]

First thing, thanks for the laugh! We all have choose signs we would love to use.

I have my pricing above my head. $35. min for anything. I will make two changes, after that I send proofs with. This is that last proof based on your scheduled pricing. There will be an additional $24 per change. I get a few disgruntled clients, but after awhile they understand about part of our businesses is based on getting money for our time & that includes designing.

IMO place a sign over your head that says. 1-2 proofs ONLY!

MakeMyGraphic

Yeeahh.... I decided to pick and choose who I deal with. I tell the client to be as detailed as possible in order to reduce having to do many revisions since I will generally only include 2 after their detailed response. Any additional changes and I remind them my hourly rate is $60 x hr rounded to the nearest hour. IF they are looking for inspiration I tell them to look up several designs that they LIKE and send those to me for idea mashing. It takes a while but doing things this way at least reduces the whole need for me to read anyone's mind. 4 years into designing and I learned the hard way that 90% of the people who want me to design something for them have absolutely NO IDEA what they want and it's not until (as Player said) you show them what they DON'T want that their ticker even starts to move.... it sucks having to ask them to give me samples of what they are looking for because I don't like imitating or copying buuuut it's what THEY want and it's my job to get inspired by something they think they want...

oh and forget about placing signs anywhere, it seems nobody can read when it comes to designing, you have to HAMMER it into their skulls otherwise they freak out when they learn they have to pay more for revisions -__- and calling things "Deposits" sometimes makes them think that they can get their money back soooo I had to choose "non-refundable deposit" in order to ensure I don't get any jokers again. You can't avoid them, they are everywhere.