Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which is the best option for a backlit white acrylic sign?

Discussion in 'Polls' started by myront, Dec 13, 2018.

Which is the best option for a backlit white acrylic sign?

1. Option A

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  2. Option B

20 vote(s)
    95.2%
  1. petepaz

petepaz Major Contributor

Feb 14, 2007
    NJ/NY/PA
    bolder text with more kerning. they are going to bleed together at a distance (i think this was already mentioned)

2. TimToad

TimToad Very Active Member

Jun 13, 2013
    CA
    My only quibble with your concepts are that in an effort to beef up the weights, the grace and intended modernity of using a lighter, extended version of Helvetica is lost and the layouts seem really dated.

3. signbrad

signbrad Member

Jun 15, 2014
    Kansas City
    This is a good point. And in keeping with that idea, the probable best solution may be to scrap the round format and replace the sign altogether with a new one in a shape that fits the composition better—a rectangle.
    This is an example of the proverbial square peg/round hole conflict. It is what, as I recall, Mike Stevens referred to as conflicting rhythm.

Of course, replacing a "perfectly good" sign cabinet with a new one is not the cheapest option. So this may be more of a sales challenge rather than a design challenge?
    But remember that plastic surgery is not cheap, either. Surely a simple facelift could easily pay for a new sign.
    I would expect a surgeon to not be a cheapskate, trying to cut corners (I know that sounds like a bad pun). And the clientele that plastic surgeons attract are people that enjoy, I'm guessing, higher incomes as well. So the money is probably available. The trick would be getting them to turn loose of it.

4. TimToad

TimToad Very Active Member

Jun 13, 2013
    CA
    Another consideration is to get a better idea of the sight line distances and determine just how far away the average viewer may be seeing the sign from. It seems like the photo originally shown is the worst case scenario from as far back in the mall as one could get.

5. Bubba06

Bubba06 Just Somebody

Feb 13, 2005
    Manning SC
    I think your'e missing the boat here.
    upload_2018-12-16_6-23-53.png

Attached Files:

• OMG / Wow! OMG / Wow! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Pure Genius! Pure Genius! x 1
  6. visual800

visual800 Very Active Member

Aug 4, 2010
    montgomery, alabama

Sometimes when we do signage for clients we have to "mess" with their logo in order for the finished product to work for that particular signage. Once you get this sign up and that "box" lights up and they cant read Plastic Surgery you will be redoing it UNLESS you make note of the suggestions you made and they did not follow

upload_2018-12-13_11-14-12.png

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. kcollinsdesign

kcollinsdesign Active Member

Apr 22, 2007
    Normal, Illinois
    The location of a sign in those circles is just plain stupid. Why not allocate space for channel letters in a sign band above the windows (which is probably the original intent of the architect). Then you could layout the business name in a readable size. You could add the "B" if you wanted to.

8. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    B I N G O !!!​

9. myront

myront CorelDRAW is best

Dec 3, 2015
    Niceville, FL
    Customer comes back today and says try these options
    "Lose the box and make text white and bolder"
    Another option "Plastic Surgery on two lines"
    If you had just trusted the professional we would had this all hashed out a lot sooner!

p.s. I'm not even convinced this is a backlit sign. I was in the same plaza one dark night picking up a pizza and none of those areas were backlit.

10. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    So, you didn't go up in the crawl space to see what's back there, huh ?? Quite possible, you won't even be able to run electric to it. In this case, was anything presented to the actual Mall Owner(s) ?? They might not allow a sign in that spot, then everything's for naught.

11. myront

myront CorelDRAW is best

Dec 3, 2015
    Niceville, FL
    We're updating/replacing graphics we put on the same panel not more than 6mos ago. Had no complaints with that one.

12. firehouseneon

firehouseneon Fire Dog

Jul 14, 2003
    Bellingham
    I have a similar question along this line.. We are making an outdoor backlit sign with translucent vinyl applied. For the acrylic which white should we use 7328, 2447 or 2406? The vinyl will be illuminated from behind with neon. I have read people use 7328...but was also told that 2406 is ideal

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  13. signbrad

signbrad Member

Jun 15, 2014
    Kansas City
    The industry standard has always been 7328 in Plexiglas. I don't remember the Acrylite equivalent.
    You want to avoid seeing the tubing through the plastic, which can sometimes happen with the more translucent whites.
    On the other hand, a dark translucent vinyl on the first surface may change things. It may be worth experimenting.

One of our less experienced guys once ordered 2447 for faces with LED backlighting. It looked ridiculous. Like there were Christmas tree lights in the cabinet. You could plainly see every lamp. The lettering was practically illegible. The goal is even light distribution and no shadows.

Brad in Kansas City

14. MikePro

MikePro Major Contributor

Feb 3, 2010
    Racine, WI
    +1 to comments regarding illuminated white cabinets with copy overlaid are horrendous.
    The white will always glow brighter than any vinyl applied to the face, and content becomes blurry at a glance.

the blue background option would be ideal because their logo POPS when illuminated, but if they're set on a white background then i sometimes suggest adding a blockout layer of black or trans. grey vinyl to the backside so that the white is dimmed and the trans. vinyl logo glows BRIGHT.

15. firehouseneon

firehouseneon Fire Dog

Jul 14, 2003
    Bellingham
    Thanks SignBrad

16. China signage Maker

China signage Maker New Member

Apr 17, 2019
    guangdong
    backlit. do a lighting letter or lighting box ?