• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Which vinyl to wrap speakers?

Frosty

Hello. For my first vinyl wrapping project, I'm going to wrap some speakers I've recently built. I'm wondering which vinyl would be the best. The speakers currently have a high gloss finish to them so the vinyl will stick. I was looking at Oracal 651 since it is durable and inexpensive. However, i have also read that it may have a tendency to shrink or expand with temperature. I'd rather not use Oracal 751 cast vinyl since it is twice the price, but I will if i must. The speakers will be indoors all the time, but during the summer, temps can rise to ~80 indoors. Will this be an issue?

Frosty

Any particular reason? I don't doubt you, I'm just curious since I'm new to vinyl and I've read that people use 651 on vehicles that go through much tougher beatings than these speakers will.

TheSnowman

The people that use 651 on vehicles are the lowballers that refuse to do a job right most of the time. I suppose under crazy circumstances there would be a reason, but I'm not seeing it really.

Frosty

The people that use 651 on vehicles are the lowballers that refuse to do a job right most of the time. I suppose under crazy circumstances there would be a reason, but I'm not seeing it really.
So I should just bite the bullet and get the 751? Perhaps there is a less expensive vinyl that will work as well?

NEGD

So I should just bite the bullet and get the 751? Perhaps there is a less expensive vinyl that will work as well?

Why bite the bullet... try the 651 and then when it doesn't work try the 751.

More importantly, do you know the difference between the two?

Flame

Not that I consider myself a lowballer by anyone's terms, but I swear 651 lasts longer outdoors than 751. I had to re-do a 751 job not that long ago, and I have a tanker with 651 that's been outdoors for 8 years on a construction job site, that looks primo, doesn't even show shrinkage.

Doesn't make sense, but I swear there's a little magic in 651.

Frosty

Why bite the bullet... try the 651 and then when it doesn't work try the 751.

More importantly, do you know the difference between the two?
Yes, I do. However, wrapping speakers is an odd application and I was unsure about which to go with since the 651 has gotten good reviews in similar applications as 751. Since I am only applying on a flat surface and don't need the extra conforming properties of the cast vinyl, I thought I might be able to go with 651. Since it's advertised as being nearly infinitely durable indoors, I thought it would be ok. There are many testaments to 651 working well in heavy duty situations that far exceed my application. And for half the price, I am hoping to be able to use the 651. I don't doubt any of you; I just need to understand why I can't use 651 or why I should use 751, instead of just saying that cast is best.

NEGD

Yes, I do. However, wrapping speakers is an odd application and I was unsure about which to go with since the 651 has gotten good reviews in similar applications as 751. Since I am only applying on a flat surface and don't need the extra conforming properties of the cast vinyl, I thought I might be able to go with 651. Since it's advertised as being nearly infinitely durable indoors, I thought it would be ok. There are many testaments to 651 working well in heavy duty situations that far exceed my application. And for half the price, I am hoping to be able to use the 651. I don't doubt any of you; I just need to understand why I can't use 651 or why I should use 751, instead of just saying that cast is best.

Almost everyone here will give you different suggestions on why you should, shouldn't or otherwise. The best way to find out and learn is to try. Are you experimenting with your own personal speaker or selling this to a client?

Frosty

Almost everyone here will give you different suggestions on why you should, shouldn't or otherwise. The best way to find out and learn is to try. Are you experimenting with your own personal speaker or selling this to a client?
This is my own personal pair. Just finished building them a few days ago. They're all primed/sealed up and ready to go. I just dind't want to paint since getting a perfect matte finish with paint is darn near impossible without expensive equipment.

nashvillesigns

Making America great, one sign at a time.
when you say "Speakers" you mean the enclosure. right? i just had an amusing moment of somebody wrapping a pair of JL W-0's..
love to see if the bass actually hits lower on those...

Frosty

when you say "Speakers" you mean the enclosure. right? i just had an amusing moment of somebody wrapping a pair of JL W-0's..
love to see if the bass actually hits lower on those...
Yes definitely. I can't even imagine what would happen if I wrapped the actual drivers...

NEGD

This is my own personal pair. Just finished building them a few days ago. They're all primed/sealed up and ready to go. I just dind't want to paint since getting a perfect matte finish with paint is darn near impossible without expensive equipment.

Are you going to be selling custom wrapped speaker systems? Just think of it as an investment then, you can go with the better product and sell it without risk of failure.

Frosty

Are you going to be selling custom wrapped speaker systems? Just think of it as an investment then, you can go with the better product and sell it without risk of failure.
I'm not ever planning on making wrapped speakers for a living, yet. I just thought it would be a good starting point for me to learn how to wrap since it's a small project that won't be sold to a client.

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
Calendered vinyl will shrink -- always -- eventually. Its in the very nature of the stuff to do so because of the manufacturing process.

If you don't want it to shrink, use cast vinyl. Simple as that.

routierracing

Well 751 is going to be better but 651 probably will be ok for a few years since its all flat. When you say your using it to learn how to wrap niether of those are wrap vinyls so you're probably not going to be learning much but I can't fault you for not investing in the wrap vinyls for such a small job when you don't really need it.

wildside

is the cost of 751 really a deal breaker? i mean come on:rolleyes:, the cost of vinyl is so small it can't really be that much a of a issue for deciding

sounds like the people that pay 50 grand for a truck and putting a couple hundred bucks into some door lettering will break the bank....

i say, since you are asking about wrapping the speaker boxes, i would say you need to use 3m 180c, it is designed for what you are wanting to do, wrap......

megacab

is the cost of 751 really a deal breaker? i mean come on:rolleyes:, the cost of vinyl is so small it can't really be that much a of a issue for deciding

sounds like the people that pay 50 grand for a truck and putting a couple hundred bucks into some door lettering will break the bank....

i say, since you are asking about wrapping the speaker boxes, i would say you need to use 3m 180c, it is designed for what you are wanting to do, wrap......

that's what i was thinking. just buy a yard of real wrap vinyl from your local fellers or wherever you shop and go from there. you can buy a 60"x36" piece of oracal 970ra in matte black for under $30. it'll give you a chance to see how a wrap vinyl with air release properties works. buying vinyl meant for signage or decals and then using it for something it's not designed for doesn't make much sense to me. you should get in the habit of using the right material for the job every time. it's gonna make your life a whole lot easier down the road.

MikePro

always use cast to make it last! (this white boy's got rhymes yo!)

Go with Oracal 3551RA or 3951RA if you need to wrap curves. 3M IJ180Cv3 is my preference, but oracal is my next in line and still highly recommended.