• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Window Perf

stickermonkey

I use the window perf with optically clear lam and then use a half inch strip of the same lam to edge seal it. Works great! And the sqeegee strokes always work themselves out after it's been left to set. It's the adhesive that needs time to cure. :)

msenjur

how do you laminate with liquid lam?

do you lam it before install, or after?

we have some liquid lam, that we are using to lam banners, decals, itc... is this lam ok, or, is there some special for perf?

we once did lam with ordinary thin lam vinyl, and the result was disaster! We laminte it after install! and also you couldn't see clearly throu window... and moves of squigee was everywhere! but for that, i should go to take a look, becouse you are saying, that that works out by itself...

I can show you what a picture of what a window perf. job looks like on a vehicle with no lam about 6 months after installation. Initially lost the job to a lowballer, now they are at my door for me to re-do it for them. Once it gets in my shop ill snap some photos.

G-Artist

Why is that?

As for optically clear laminate, I've always used it and have never had any issues with it. If you guys are getting cloudy results, I would think you're not using the right material. It's called "optically clear" because it isn't cloudy and you shouldn't be able to see the adhesive.

Just my $0.02

Because on a Summa, the entire thing is printed on optically clear material
and there is no need for perf material at all as the see-through dots are part
of the print. No need for any lam at all as well.

k.a.s.

I will first say that I don't do a lot of perf, so I don't keep optically clear material. But I have done some back window graphics for a few friends trucks including mine. I used no lam. I understand that the ink will fade eventully but I have had mine on my truck for well over a year and it looks like the day it was new.

Dirt does not build up if you keep your vehicle washed. When it rains you can't see but I have mirrors, and people drive vehicles everyday that don't have back windows, its not a real big deal. In the future I will prolly try a liquid lam, but so far this has worked pretty well.

kevin

Whoozziee

Because the summa can print white "dots" onto clear hp vinyl, so there is no need for a laminate.

I don't understand this comment. Why would you have to be able to print white unless you're working on a white vehicle. Most designs will colour the background so need for white. The "dots" on clear vinyl would only be places where there's no ink at all.

Besides that, the optical one-way-vision is created by a white printable front, and a black back. So imo, when just printing on clear you'll never get the same result as a real one-way-vision. Not sure about this, but are the "dots" also conical?

signage

I don't understand this comment. Why would you have to be able to print white unless you're working on a white vehicle.
Because they ink printed from inkjets are transluceant and to create window perf you need black on the inside and the colors of the ink will not appear correctly over a flood of black!

signage

Here's a test of summa perf simulation on clear!

Attachments

• perf.jpg
    perf.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 99

signage

No problem! That is mounted on the inside of the window, so it is actually done in reverse! That is another advantage of doing it that way!

marcsitkin

Crystal clear by Krylon. Ace, true value, maybe even home depot & menards. Goes on clear & has an awesome gloss finish. A customer stopped in with car wrap we did for him 4 years ago. he just wanted to stop in and say hi. We looked at his wrap, everything looks like we just installed it last week. All the window perf didn't show any color fade..WOW.

Just tried coating with Clearcoat using a roller, which randomly filled the holes in the perf, giving it a mottled appearance and not very nice to look through. Tried some Krylon on a scrap, and when I removed the backer, some holes had fills from the spray, some not. The Krylon has been around for a while, and I wonder if the age of the product is working against me. Any tips?

"Deposit Please"

If the krylon spray laminate is partially filling the holes on the perf, that's a good indication that you are too close to the perf with the can, Also, make sure your hand is always moving to give it uniform coverage . Just remember, 2 light coats is better than 1 heavy coat. Last, but not least, shake can well !!!

Gforce1

Are there any issues with removal when the time comes using the spray lam?? Or I should say, how do you remove it?