• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Window Perf

select426

Hello All,

We are trying to install window perf on back windows of about 20 cars. In the past we have used the optically clear laminate but have had some issue. It seems to leave air between the window and the laminate, not the perf itself, which is making the whole thing seem distored. I have no idea how to make it stick better. We heat it first, try different squigeing and clean the window very well first but none of which seems to make much of a difference.

Any ideas

Thanks in advance

Bob Cornett

We finally had to go to liquid lamintate. With the normal clear laminate, air is trapped between the substrate and the lamintate and expands and contracts with the temperature. Just my 2c.

mark in tx

If the perf and laminate is applied correctly, you won't trap air in front of the glass.
Your installers probably need to slow down and use the hinge method.

CanuckSigns

I've never used window perf on a vehicle before, but it's my understanding that you have to use an optically clear lam. if you don't lam at all dirt and stuff will build up in the holes and you won't be able to see, plus when it rains...

zapblam

Yup, cant see throug it if it rains on unlaminated perf. Interesting results scraping ice off windows with unlaminated perf as well. Removal is much easier when laminated as well. Any air in the perf holes seems to always work itself out over a few weeks. Thats my 2 cents anyway.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
if you are not going to use vinyl lam...just use a spray acrylic etc. It's easier than liquid lam. If your purpose is preservation. But the main reason I vinyl laminate perf is for the rain issue.

copythat

Clear kote

We did 17 suv's last year with liquid clear kote. Not one has come back. I see them driving by eveyday. Tow Trucks : )

grafixemporium

We only use ClearShield liquid laminate on our perf jobs. There are too many drawbacks to using an optically clear lam...

not cost effective
view is distored even with "optically clear" laminate
laminate shrinks/expands at a different rate than perf causing edge curl

Skillsaw

Question about window perf. My supplier has told me most of the people they know don't even laminate their window perf. Zapblam's post makes sense about scraping ice off of the window. My supplier also suggests using Optically Clear laminate for window perf. I've never done anything with window perf but do have a couple/few customers asking me about it. Just want to find the best stuff for it. TIA

"Deposit Please"

Always laminate your perf, especially long term outdoor. We use spray laminate. 4 dollars a can. One can can do approx 4 to 5 back window perfs on a full size suv.

"Deposit Please"

Crystal clear by Krylon. Ace, true value, maybe even home depot & menards. Goes on clear & has an awesome gloss finish. A customer stopped in with car wrap we did for him 4 years ago. he just wanted to stop in and say hi. We looked at his wrap, everything looks like we just installed it last week. All the window perf didn't show any color fade..WOW.

If you are using liquid laminate are you having any issues with dirt in the holes of the perf? or problems when it rains?

I use optically clear laminate but I've never been totally thrilled with the results, I would like to find an alternative.

To answer the original question about air in the perf., I agree, your installers may need to take a little more time. I struggled with that on the first couple of windows I did but using the hinge method and a little patience I can usually install a window without any or at least very little air trapped. Whatever is trapped usually disappears within a week or less.

~Chris

Thanks,
Chris

"Deposit Please"

Spray laminate = clear view on sunny & cloudy days, even when it drizzles a little. Any dirt accumulation can be washed off with a car wash or garden hose, just like anything else that gets dirty. Water evaporates quickly in holes once rain stops.
Optically clear laminate = cloudy all the time, even on a bright, sunny beautiful day, gets even cloudier when it rains and theres nothing you can do about it. How frustrating would that be.

Kevin-shopVOX

The main reason for the optically clear lam. is to avoid dirt/oil/salt/water buildup in the holes. I've heard of some states/cities actually requiring it. The problem with it is that that haze will never go away. Reason being is that the lam. over the holes never touches the glass which causes the blur. Explain the situations to your customers, have a sample and let them choose after your recommendations. If they go with the laminate you make more money. I will agree with the edge curl issues. It doesn't react the same way as the perf and over a short period of time is using lifting off of the vehicle. PITA.

No problems here..

Only "comment" I have ever had is that sometimes when it is just installed you can see lines of pressure where I made passes with my squeege. Set it outside for 30 minutes in the sun and evens out beautifully.

White Wrapper

I too have not had any problems with the optically clear lam... a day in the sun makes it look perfect! I do tell the clients that the edges are an issue and to watch them... but no returns to date...

300mphGraphics

First perf job I did I bought out from a vendor and it showed up with no lam. I scratched the print with a felt squeegee during installation. Can't imagine what a no lam print would look like after a few times through the local car wash so now I have to wash the truck myself. No I lam all my prints. Took a bit to get the thinner optically clear material down right. May try the spray at some point.