• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

window perf

2 see signz

thanks for all the replys....just done another install without lam. lets see how this goes...
and windex has been taken home...lol thanks for the tip.
is methylated sprits a good cleaner?

anotherdog

to laminate or not? I'm just not happy with any solution;

No lam fades, fills with dirt, water and ice, but goes on easily.

Ordinary lam looks great...from the outside, can't see through it though.

Optically clear lam is great, but so thin that you easily get a tiny dome balloon over half the holes.

I have never used liquid lam on perf, does it work?

binki

we clean with grafix gone and follow with alcohol. the corners of windows are a mother but other than that we do well with it. we use the blue toss paper towels for all of the cleaning for a lint free finish.

we are going to redo our truck window so it looks like we will do it with no lam to see how it comes out.

thanks for the thread.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
I've found that avoiding too much air in the holes when it's laminated is all about installation technique. Also to keep perf from peeling up at the edges brush about a 3/8" strip of primer around the edges prior to application. I've used a few different brand of optically clear laminate over the years and have had the best luck with Oracal 290GF. If you put some cheap calendered lam on top - yeah expect some shrinking. You must also inform your customer to NOT direct high pressure water on it up close or it will leave marks. To keep it looking it best and to keep it nice and clear for the vest visibility you also need to inform the customer to WAX the laminated perf a couple of times a year with a good synthetic wax. It makes a big difference in visibility out. As far as application goes - my best method has been prep the glass first - if any hint of rain-x or an7ything clean it with a solvent like xylene(xylol) first. Then alcohol till it's super clean, then primer the edge of the glass. Apply with a good felt egde squeegee like a geek wrap one (what I use) with a LIGHT pressure and making certain no vinyl lays down before the squeegee. The squeegee needs to lightly apply it. Too much pressure and/or it hitting before will trap too much air and also leave squeegee marks. Some squeege marks are ineveitable though and they will go away with a bit of time out in the sun for the most part.

With primer on the edges, a special application technique, the right laminate, and proper customer education on perf care, perf works great, looks great and lasts for a few years with no problems at all and does not peel up at the edges.

to laminate or not? I'm just not happy with any solution;

No lam fades, fills with dirt, water and ice, but goes on easily.

Ordinary lam looks great...from the outside, can't see through it though.

Optically clear lam is great, but so thin that you easily get a tiny dome balloon over half the holes.

I have never used liquid lam on perf, does it work?

boxerbay

OP - dont use windex. clean the glass especially the rubber gaskets with simple green then follow up with alcohol. the good alcohol you can get from paper suppliers like mac paper. we never have any problems with corner curls and some prints have been up a couple years already.

no lam? wow. why would you not upsale the client and have them decide.

cant see out? use optically clear.

use the correct media!

problem is people try to use the cheapest materials with the cheapest lam and expect it to be A W E S O M E.

there is cast and calendered perf. offer the upgraded media.

offer the client:
perf only - explain it will fade and gets dirt - $
perf plus reg lam - explain about milky see thru - $$ - i never offer this but it seems some do.
perf plus OC lam - explain this is the best - $$$

Q to client: which do you prefer?

my guess is aside from using windex or not cleaning properly - people may be mixing cast and calendared perf/lam combo and one is shrinking faster than the other.