• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

window perf

2 see signz

window perf keeps lifting on edges....
i had it printed and laminated by a well know sign place that does heaps of my work, no probs until this one..

i installed dry.
cut around edges and used a 6mm pin stripe to seal it, but the corners keep lifting

any suggestions...

Signed Out

What did you use to prep the window? Also whenever we do window perf we cut the edges 1/4" from edge of window or until the edge is on glass (some rear windows have a rubber like edge all the way around)

2 see signz

What did you use to prep the window? Also whenever we do window perf we cut the edges 1/4" from edge of window or until the edge is on glass (some rear windows have a rubber like edge all the way around)

windex, glass cleaner, then prepsol.
yep cut the 1/4" , i belive i have done everything right, no differant to the other jobs and they are all great still.

Speedsterbeast

First of all, I would suggest you take windex out of your install kit and never mention it again. Try using Isopropyl Alcohol to clean with.
May not be the cause of this particular problem, but it may be in the future.
Also, I had a problem with a farmed out laminate job for a wall mural. The print was curled upwards or "away from the wall" so it peeled becasue it was a low-strength adhesive on the media.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
We never trim perf back from the edges but we always do use primer 95 about a half inchec all the way around the edges and clean with alcohol first.

Circleville Signs

Absolutely..

1. Perf lays down better and stays down better when there isn't laminate there to trap air and dust during installation.

2. Without laminate, it is difficult to see through perf in the rain. With laminate, it is difficult to see through perf at all times.

3. Regardless of what manufacturers try to sell you on, perf doesn't fade too badly unless you are in a state like Florida or Texas - and I believe it is a DOT requirement to lam in Florida - not sure on Texas.

4. With all of the above being true, why incur higher costs with the addition of laminate?

MikePatterson

Head bathroom cleaner.
prepsol or the laminate might be your problem. We use alcohol instead of any type of prepsol. We wash with a decent dish washing soap like joy (unscented) it strips wax and oils off, then load up a spray bottle with 70% alcohol and clean it with that.

As for laminating perf, we don't laminate it, we spray it. We use a auto rattle can clear. My customers *****ed about optically clear still being blurry so we switched. I don't care if you cant see out of it during a rain storm, can you see that well out of your back glass in the rain anyway.

J

john1

I use the Solvex and Lamex combo from Fellers and have had no issues with lifting. I use a fresh xacto and trim to the edge. I use Rapid Tac to clean the edges and the entire window.

I have perf on for about 6 months now and looks good as new.

AceHigh

I second the no laminate, and yes I got pelted pretty hard by others on here about it. But I just tell the customers up front and in my opinion there are way less problems and I have not had anyone complain about. Who cares, you can't see through a window when it rains anyway!!
I know the haters are gonna be all over me for this.

binki

how about on storefront windows, no laminate? We don't print, just contract out and install so we go with the recommended way to do it from the vendor.

copythat

Ditto

I know that people will start pelting me when I say this, but unless your state requires it, DO NOT LAMINATE PERF!!!!!!!!

I have never laminated any of my perf'd windows. I have had edges curl up after 6 or 7 months. Then I would trim off the same ¼" and it was done.

Going to trim off ¼" from now on. I've have a supermarket just 4 blocks from me that had there windows perf'd & laminated. It created a nausea effect. You really couldn't look out the window without getting quizzie. They are going back to paper signs, once they all peel off.

wildside

we always laminate, and don't get the dizzy effect, or the difficult to see through, i think it looks like a tinted window from a distance

i have had it on my truck in the past with and without laminate, without laminate was a pain in the *** with all the dust collecting in the holes and of course the rain

what kind of rain are you getting that you can't see out a window when it rains anyway? some serious acid rain or what?

copythat

what kind of rain are you getting that you can't see out a window when it rains anyway? some serious acid rain or what?[/QUOTE]

LOLOLOLOL

We brush on clear shield on perf for vehicles. But not on store fronts.

Hicalibersigns

Very interesting. We are relatively new to this. We have been laminating perf for vehicles. Fading here in Texas is definitely an issue. I see so many vehicles that have been wrapped that look pretty good except for the unlaminated perf. It is so faded that it is hard to tell that it was ever printed in the first place. So far we haven't had any issues, but time will tell.

petepaz

from previous experiences i have to agree with gary don't lam. have had issues with edges curling twice and finally got it to work with 3m EDGE SEALING TAPE and also still globbed some 3M edge sealer around the edges. the last one i did i had to re-do because they couldn't see out the window so from now on no lam on perf for me.