• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Windows 10 - Feeling violated

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
After numerous attempts, I told you no. But you persisted and would not be denied. No means no, but still...you would not (could not) be satisfied. Your advances went last too far last night and now here you are. You forced me.

So...who else is dealing with a violation of privacy with a forced WIN 10 "upgrade"? As if dealing with the day to day isn't difficult enough, now I have to learn where and what the hell everything is now.

JB

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
GWX console has been working on all our puters for a year.

I first learned about the GWX console on a thread here last week, but unfortunately I've been on the road a lot and hadn't been able to sit down and look into it.

JB

WildWestDesigns

I first learned about the GWX console on a thread here last week, but unfortunately I've been on the road a lot and hadn't been able to sit down and look into it.

JB

Don't have auto updates on. I cannot imagine an update coming out in the future that won't have some aggressive means of getting Win 10 on the computer. In theory, updates are good as the plug up vulnerabilities and keep everything current, but they also add instability and they can also add other undesirable items as well. A list that adds in telemetry to Win 7 and Win 8:

KB2952664 Compatibility update for upgrading Windows 7
KB2990214 Update that enables you to upgrade from Windows 7 to a later version of Windows
KB3021917 Update to Windows 7 SP1 for performance improvements
KB3022345 Update for customer experience and diagnostic telemetry
KB3035583 Update installs get windows 10 app in Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 SP1
KB3068708 (replaces KB3022345) Update for customer experience and diagnostic telemetry
KB3075249 Update that adds telemetry points to consent.exe in Windows 8.1 and Windows 7
KB3080149 Update for customer experience and diagnostic telemetry

I'm always leary of 3rd party solutions to this type of thing. Maybe I've become too much of a tin foil hatter as I've gotten older, I don't know.

Casey had posted how to go in and get it to permanently stop with the "nag" as well. I think there is also a write up on it at Microsoft's website as well.

Unfortunately, Windows is a big player and a lot of software is written for it, so I don't think there will be much in the way that you can do to totally avoid any future version of the OS. For me personally, I'm only running isolated instances of Windows from here on out.

signsandsuch

win 10

I put win 10 on my plotter computer and now

in corel the menu bar does no show. You can put the cursor on it a one item at a time will show up.

AF

Still using XP on a few machines here...because of software that won't run on anything newer. Otherwise I am quite fine with Win 7 for everything else. I have one Win 8 machine that is collecting dust, cannot stand the intrusive and anti-productivity design of the newer MS OSes.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Still using XP on a few machines here...because of software that won't run on anything newer. Otherwise I am quite fine with Win 7 for everything else. I have one Win 8 machine that is collecting dust, cannot stand the intrusive and anti-productivity design of the newer MS OSes.

Ditto. :goodpost:

WildWestDesigns

Nice thing about 3 monitors is the ability to run 3 OSs at one time on one computer.

Mainly just keep this one for old games that I just can't let go of.

Attachments

• Win 98.jpg
    Win 98.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 107

Baz

My Win7 production pc has auto update turned off.

I update it manually once my laptop (Win 8.1) tells me it has updates waiting.

Funny thing is my Win7 machine has that Windows 10 offer that keeps reminding you to upgrade for free.
My Win8.1 laptop does not?

It's fine with me since i don't plan on updating anything. I am just fine with Win 8.1 and Win 7 ...

Everything is working!!! Why would i want to go and screw with that?

WildWestDesigns

Now that's old school lol:rock-n-roll:

That's how I like it.

This is perhaps my favorite iteration of Windows. I just like it and the aesthetics of it.

I'm strange, I know it.

My Win7 production pc has auto update turned off.

Funny thing is my Win7 machine has that Windows 10 offer that keeps reminding you to upgrade for free.
My Win8.1 laptop does not?

I guess it depends on when you turned off auto updates, if it still had the update that gives that notification. Your Win 8.1 may not have that update. Or something else that may not make it eligible for that "offer".

GingerMarie

How to say NO to Windows 10

Apparently if you let Windows 10 go through its whole install process and then when the legal-eze shows up and asks if you agree with it you can say 'No, as a matter of fact I do not agree to you forcing this update on me' and it will go through the process of uninstalling the program and leave your computer as it was. I have 7 computers at work and some people just clicked OK go ahead do with me what you will. Nobody bothered to ask me if they should (I'm supposed to be the 'IT' person, ha, when you know slightly, ever so slightly more than others that is what you get). The only person who clicked disagree with the Windows 10 legal stuff was my parts guy and that's how I found out you can get out of upgrading if you want. Not all the computers have done the forced upgrade even though they have auto updates on. Mine hasn't. And we have had a few issues with the 10 upgrade but hoping the software company is going to resolve those.

Anyway click disagree at the end of install and it will uninstall, takes some time though.

player

Before you go back, write down you W10 registration keys so in the future you can upgrade for free.

WildWestDesigns

Apparently if you let Windows 10 go through its whole install process and then when the legal-eze shows up and asks if you agree with it you can say 'No, as a matter of fact I do not agree to you forcing this update on me'

I recall seeing a write up on that very thing and they actually compared it to a trick that ad ware (and even malware) would do to people as well. Counting on the majority of people just clicking OK and not really taking a look at their options.

You could always tell the people that just clicked "Yes" to all that as they would usually have 20 search bars installed on their web browser.

Before you go back, write down you W10 registration keys so in the future you can upgrade for free.

There has been speculation that the free upgrade to Win 10 won't be charged starting next month. Migration to 10 has slowed considerably and MS is really banking on Win 10 being a success, they have really tied themselves to this OS. Especially considering that Win 7 still has official support until 2020 and Win 8.1 still has official support until 2023. That's still a long time of support to forcing people to migrate to another OS.

The main reason that they mention was the upgrade to 8.1 was supposed to be charged after so long, but it never was.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
I went ahead and upgraded on one of my personal laptops and everything went smoothly. And, the Win 10 works just fine.
I know there are some programs that won't play nice with it, but I haven't run into them yet. Everything I've been using on said laptop (including Corel, Adobe, and even FlexiSign 10) is working fine. Of course, if I ran into something that wasn'tly working correctly, I'd probably have a completely different take.
That said, the damned "reminder" where MS was trying to shove the OS down my throat was as annoying as Netflix's constant reminder that I might want to watch their idiotic Adam Sandler movie (despite my never having had any of his movies sent to me by their service). I do, however, like that the upgrade is free.

David Wright

You have to wonder given the history or all previous upgrades being at least $100, this one is free. Also free and shoved down our throats, why?
Yeah, for our own good.

WildWestDesigns

You have to wonder given the history or all previous upgrades being at least $100, this one is free. Also free and shoved down our throats, why?
Yeah, for our own good.

Well, you still have that paying scheme if you don't have a qualifying computer to "upgrade".

I actually wouldn't have a problem with buying the OS (I prefer fresh installs to upgrades like this anyway, I've never had a good turnout upgrading a Win OS via this method), if I was able to not have to deal with some of MS product interconnectivity that they try to peddle(force) on to you.

The frustrating part is is that if you were to strip away how they conducted the rollout and the telemetry aspect of it, from a usability stand point it isn't a bad OS. It really isn't. They are behind the times on some aspects of it (virtual desktops) compared to other OSs, but it really isn't all that bad, if it wasn't for those 2 aspects. At least in my mind.