• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Windows 7

Joe Diaz

I use XP64 at work... Vista 64 Ultimate at home... Dual Boot W7 at Home...

I choose W7 overall... on every subject...

How do you test the beta. I dual boot vista64 and xp now, and never use XP, so I have no reason to have XP on there. It would be cool to play around on W7 to see what it's about.

hoppers

I heard the Beta was supposed to only be a certain amount of people, but more were added or somehow it was leaked to more people? Not sure of the whole story....

But I see you can d/l it here, check it out: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/beta-download.aspx

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

EDIT: heres the info about the beta, seems like its open to everyone now.

The official beta, announced at the CES 2009, was made available to MSDN and TechNet subscribers on 07 January 2009 and was made briefly available for public download on Microsoft TechNet on 09 January 2009 before being withdrawn and placed with a coming soon message. The servers were experiencing difficulty in dealing with the number of users who wished to download the beta. Microsoft had to add additional servers to cope with the large volume of interest from the public.[18][19] As of 18:00 GMT Saturday 10th January, the Windows 7 download servers were back online.[20] Due to the unexpectedly high demand, Microsoft has decided to remove its initial 2.5 million download limit and make it available to the public until January 24th 2009.[21]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7

cptcorn

adad
How do you test the beta. I dual boot vista64 and xp now, and never use XP, so I have no reason to have XP on there. It would be cool to play around on W7 to see what it's about.

Dammit I typed a big long thing and now it's gone...

I was apart of the private invite only beta a few months back... build 6000 something. The current 7000 Build is running wayy awesome. You can get it if you're apart of the MS Developer Network (MSDN).

The link above... Not sure if it's an open beta right now, you might be able to get it and use it... As far as I know it became a "public" beta to the MSDN people.

Public means a selective public... Open, means... everyone and their grandmother... I'll post up if I find any more info...

trakers

You have to login (Most just use their hotmail login)

You can then get your activation key and then you get to wait for the teeny, tiny 2.7GB ISO download (Ouch)

Be advised you will have to be able to burn a DVD ISO onto a blank DVD for the install.

coyote

This has been enlightening. I'm a computer no-brain. My main concern is that I am able to get drivers for the equipment that I run. I hate throwing (recycling) out perfectly useable stuff just because it's incompatible with the new OS...

I like the idea of a touch screen-am looking to purchase a wide screen laptop so that I can take my show on the road, but have been holding off. Didn't want to deal with Vista, didn't want to try to get XP loaded on and pay extra if it was going to become outdated.

I have been happy with XP-have been using this same computer since 05 and have had no problems at all with it (knock wood)-of course, my last OS was Windows 98-I keep my cars forever also.
C

Last edited:

S'N'S

So the real problem for us is how software compatible is M7 and how far backwards compatible is it, I don't want to spend thousands of $ upgrading my programs. How much will it cost? There were whispers a long time ago about the new OS coming out, with all the problems with Vista apparently being the reason a lot of software companies held off releasing Vista compatible programs. How long will it take for software manufacturers to bring out compatible software or patches for existing software. If nothing has changed from Vista to M7 I will stick with XP, just have to wait and see.

Don't know how accurate this is
http://keznews.com/5224_Windows_7_beta_build_6936_7000_x64_Activator

Last edited:

Todd-sta

Yo Curtis - do you see Apple moving towards a subscription based software? Or is this just a Microsoft thing?

The guy makes good points regarding the economy and upgrading. People WILL be VERY hesitant to upgrade if they think it will cost them $$ in otherwise uneccessary software and hardware upgrades as a result.

Techman

Apple does not need a subscription base. They use proprietary closed products. You pay no matter what. Its called the MAC tax in geek land.