• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Working Late

Donny7833

Sitting here at the shop at 8:15 pm. All 3 printers are running, the laminator is running roll to roll and the Summa is chugging away.

Life doesn't get much better than this for a print junkie...:rock-n-roll:

Donny7833

"Let's see if you feel the same way in another twenty years!"

20 years from now? Hopefully the wife and I will be on a beach in Belize. I've already been doing this for 27 years.

"and 8:15? That's early. Last week I was working til 4AM for days in a row!"

Last week I put in 70 hours, and about the same amount for the 4 weeks prior. I'm on week 6 of a 13 week contract.

"rofl. you put a time? last month me, myself, and i printed 24 hours a day for two weeks. yeah."

Yeah, I print 24/7. That's what the web cams are for. I live 5 minutes from the shop. I'll monitor from home and pop in when it's time to change rolls. Doesn't make for a good deep sleep though.

Oh, I forgot to mention the glass of 15 year old Single Malt I'm sipping on. Like I said, doesn't get much better than this...

Donny7833

True, one little fly in the ointment and it's back to stress city. Still, I wouldn't do it if I didn't love it.

HulkSmash

"Let's see if you feel the same way in another twenty years!"

20 years from now? Hopefully the wife and I will be on a beach in Belize. I've already been doing this for 27 years.

"and 8:15? That's early. Last week I was working til 4AM for days in a row!"

Last week I put in 70 hours, and about the same amount for the 4 weeks prior. I'm on week 6 of a 13 week contract.

"rofl. you put a time? last month me, myself, and i printed 24 hours a day for two weeks. yeah."

Yeah, I print 24/7. That's what the web cams are for. I live 5 minutes from the shop. I'll monitor from home and pop in when it's time to change rolls. Doesn't make for a good deep sleep though.

Oh, I forgot to mention the glass of 15 year old Single Malt I'm sipping on. Like I said, doesn't get much better than this...

Cool story.

Twisted Images

About to head to the shop to print a banner and screen print some shirts for a very last minute order. A day in the life, I guess.

Typestries

Working late is part of the game. But then, so is getting to the kids school functions, the beach and fishing on good weather weekdays, and the important pow day clause that is about to be executed tomorrow (finally, winter shows herself).

I wouldn't have it any other way!

artbot

will be working my third all nighter this week. very big order going out. crazy complex pieces. i'm amped but my help is exhausted and i'm doing my best to avoid mutiny. if you hire someone part time for an emergency job at first anything goes because they don't have rent. but after that first time and a half check the motivation quickly to "do whatever it takes" slowly fades. (of course i figure they secretly suspect i'm clearing around a grand a day and don't feel too sorry for me).

jimmysigns

working late letting your printer work, lol. I guess work is work.
I've been doing an airbrush job the last 3 days on a garbage truck.
standing on a cement floor for 9 hrs in a 60 degree shop takes a toll you. there is no way in hell I could do it for more hours a day, when I get home my knees and back are killing me, my eyesight is shot and I'm just plain ole exhausted. I have one more day and the owner just tells me to work at night and finish it up.
I must be gettin old.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If working late is a routine, you should be doing it because of it being a part-time job. Any other reason is probably bogus. Once in a while something happens in which you have to work late to make ends meet or keep a customer happy. Hopefully,the family realizes this when you work for yourself. I like doing my quotes after hours.... from about 5pm til 7pm. Then I don't have any interruptions and I really get more accomplished and without error for the most part.

Yesterday I was working on a quote for a guy and it took me nearly 4 hours because of all the distractions. Therefore, I had to go over it a few time to be sure I didn't double up on something or forget anything.

If I might add though..... there's no better sound than when all of your machines a chuggin' away and you're making money hand over fist. In these poor economic times... you gotta do what ya gotta do. :thumb:

signswi

Stick a webcam pointed at your printer and remote into your rip or printer interface and you can go home and be a normal human without being super paranoid that the shop burned down while printing unattended.

petepaz

i end up working late most of the time. leaving at 7-8:00 is normal late is 11:00 or after. sometimes i just sleep at the shop (cot, sleeping bag, and alarm clock plus when we moved in this place i had the owner put in a shower) it doesn't matter how early i get in i still end up working late and that's ok by me. i work when there is work and get paid for it so all is good. plus since i put in those hours it makes things eaier when i have to leave early for a family funtion or if the grand kids have some school function. and the over all plan is that by working late now by the time i retire (when i am like 90) i can actually retire, maybe work part time maybe 20 hrs a week instead 0f 55-60

glad to hear you are busy, keep those machines running $$$$$$$