• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

World's Best Kept Secret - Sticker Vinyl

David40

I have searched and searched the Internet, and contacted several vinyl distributors. Nobody seems to know where to obtain the vinyl for making bumper stickers. One in particular has a bend and split backing that makes peeling the back off a breeze. I figure this must be one of those best kept secrets in the world because I am unable to track down any vinyl that is specifically designed for bumper stickers, ie. removable without damaging the paint, easy peel and apply. Who sells this stuff??? I think most stickers are made with screen printing but for short runs I'd like to do it on the solvent printer.
Any advice or direction would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
:frustrated:

C

ColoPrinthead

When I was working in small format digital last year I had a sales rep tell me he had looked everywhere and couldn't find 12x18" crack and peel backed adhesive vinyl anywhere. It truly is strange and annoying; our customers were not pleased.

J Hill Designs

back-cut with the GS-15plus (i think thats the one that can do it) or you can create crack-and-peel with an old blade holder with the blade sticking out ever-so-slight (test first obviously)

Flame

lol. Well first off the backing paper is CUT that way, after YOU cut the stickers. Variety of ways to do this, the most stone age way is simply with an adjustable blade knife. Forget the name of the one that's popular but if you do some searches on here you'll find it mentioned many times.

As far as the vinyl, once again, easy. Just get removeable vinyl, not permanent. Plenty of water based adhesive vinyls out there that are dirt cheap and peel off easily. Either use el-cheapo china material, or if you want a nice name brand try Oracal 3620

Red Ball

Seasoned Citizen
Welcome from the Kingdom of Texas!

I hate the word "sticker". Stickers come with bubble gum and sugary cereal.
We produce intermediate grade, high performance, temporary, etc. pressure sensitive printed or plotted vinyl! :)

petepaz

as far as i know you don't buy the vinyl with the crack and peel ( i think already mentioned) we have a machine made for this and it has multiple adjustable blades for slitting the back of decals so you can do whole sheets at a time. if you do a kiss cut in your plotter isn't that enough for an easy peel. i could see it being a problem only if you trim the sticker exact but if you kiss cut and weed the scrap there shouldn't be any problem peeling

We have a small shop that we order these stickers from locally. There is a paper slitter much like a manual plotter. You set the depth for the stickers and it will slit the back. The backing has to be more of a plastic or poly make up. Then you slit to where it's almost all the way through the backing and that makes them crack and peel. You can buy crack and peel on a roll though. It's like rolling up a cheeto as soon as you try to roll it it's going to crack and then the backing will come up as you print onto it. The crack and peel comes sold as sheets for screen printing. I don't know if anybody makes it anymore because everybody wants their cracks to be down the center of the stickers. That's a little hard to setup perfect if your printing to something that already has the back slit.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
What is needed is a machine called a semi-slitter and media with a removable adhesive.

Attachments

• Semi_Slitter-1_350x263.jpg
    Semi_Slitter-1_350x263.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 89

royster13

I can not imagine doing any more than a few dozen of these in house when suppliers like Trade Net & Stouse run them on an HP Indigo press....