• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Worst sign I've seen in a while

Jillbeans

I think I need a bath in RID just from looking at that motel pic.
Although this past summer I stayed (not overnight) at a real schwanky place with nice signs. All was good until a cockroach as long as the palm of my hand crawled across the sheet when I was just about to go to sleep.
Hence the not overnight.
Nasty sign, they probably got what they paid for.
Love....Jill

iSign

Not to sound prejustice, but there are alot of people from India buying up motels ( in our area anyway) To the them it is all about the cost, this is their ONLY consideration.

Obviously wants badly to appear like one of the worst racists to ever post on this forum, not to mention the churlish pride & self satisfaction on display when offering inflammatory racist remarks... but that aside, I have to agree that here, he is merely stating an accurate generalization.

Most Middle Eastern people are programed to get a better deal no matter what. Its so frustrating to deal with them.
again... irrelevant, as far as anyone knows... but more guilty of a thread piracy issue then of racism

What's this got to do with any race, nationality or creed at all.God u sound so racist!!!
BINGO!!
+1 fmg... key point:

"What's this got to do with any race"

this thread has (or had) absolutely nothing that we know of to do with race!

"God u sound so racist!"
yep... gotta agree here, maybe not true racism by definition, but it absophuqinlutely sounds racist!

Wow..... really?

Ahem. If you are hinting that no country/race/religion has characteristics or general behavior that is popular/prevalent in that group....then you are too far gone to help...

um... I think he is saying (or "hinting if you wanna call it that) "What's this got to do with any race, nationality or creed at all?" ...and until someone arbitrarily brought it up... the answer was NOTHING!

Unfortunately, Mosh and Flame are correct and neither of them are being prejudiced or racist it's just fact. Sorry, sad but true.

correction... sad but false! It is a generalization, not a "fact"
...sure, it became a generalization, because generally speaking, those tendencies exist, but these generalizations are like an artists caricature, and when our culture recognizes a cultural "tendency", and pop culture perpetuates it like with Abu, in the Simpsons... all bets are off... and people think a generalization has become a fact...

Mosh: "to THEM... it is ALL... ONLY" nope... absolutes are not gonna be correct.. you wanna make generalizations, use general terms.. wanna use absolute terms, you will be incorrect...

Brandon: "Most Middle Eastern people"... ok, not an absolute, but now you gotta PROVE a majority... and you can't... & I can't prove otherwise, so I can't say you're wrong, but you can't say you're not... result being a remark destined to result in conflict!

Flame: "characteristics or general behavior that is popular/prevalent in that group"
now, that is the sign of an educated individual... a properly articulated generalization, above reproach... see? "popular/prevalent" ...no implication of a majority, let alone any absolutes... if more people were more careful with there language, there would be less misunderstanding in the world (or forums)

andy

All very interesting but doesn't it miss one important point; the complete lack of respect for Anglo Saxon culture?

Anglo Saxon culture is equal in stature to Middle Eastern, Asian or South Asian cultures. By this I mean that Anglo Saxons have as much right to expect their cultural wishes to be respected as anyone else.... Green, Pink, Orange or Brown.

As an Anglo Saxon I regard haggling with deep suspicion... I am used to vendors advertising a clear and transparent price in an honest way. I do not expect to play silly buggers with vendors who hope to sucker me into paying an over inflated price. If you aren't prepared to give me an honest price then I'm not prepared to do business with you.... I can't even trust you to be honest about the price.

I also resent dealing with people who freely enter into a contract and then see nothing wrong with attempting to haggle down the final price.... as in Dave Drane's case. This is NOT how commercial transactions are conducted in my culture... if you pull this trick then you will be regarded as an untrustworthy by Anglo Saxons. I phone Mr Drane and ask him to make me a sign, we agree what is going to be produced and how much the price will be... when Mr Drane delivers the sign and I hand over the precise amount of money we agreed should be paid. We both know the agreement and we are both honour bound to stick to it.

Obviously if one were wandering through the back streets of Cairo or Mumbai one would expect to follow local practice and accept that haggling and renegotiation were the cultural "done thing". This being the case I see no reason why people from Lahore or the Lebanon feel it is appropriate to ignore the Anglo Saxon way of doing things when in the US, UK or Australia... in these countries you don't haggle you don't renegotiate... you politely follow the "local custom" and do business in the accepted fashion.

We are far too ready to slap the "racist" label on anything which doesn't fit within the confines of some invented convention.... applying the same rules could lead you to argue that Asian communities who ignore Anglo Saxon practices are themselves "racist".

iSign

We are far too ready to slap the "racist" label on anything which doesn't fit within the confines of some invented convention....

ummmm... what??? that label gets slapped on the culturally diverse? really? not slapped on those in judgment of that which doesn't fit.. but slapped on that which doesn't fit?? well that ain't what racism means over here

applying the same rules could lead you to argue that Asian communities who ignore Anglo Saxon practices are themselves "racist".

well, of course.. nobody is exempt!
People all already know that though, right?

signmeup

I think it would be nice if people who wanted to discuss racism started a thread about racism. I don't have any idea who owns the Motel or who made the sign.

I think maybe it is an inflatable sign.................... with a slow leak.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I like the Anglo-Saxon comments but not as much as the inflatable sign quips(?).

wayne k
guam usa

Dave Drane

I just know that any time I have been to Asian countries and visited a temple or Wat I respect their custom and take my shoes off and cover my bare legs with a sarong and that is ok, but when they come to my country we are expected to respect their wishes by using their customs as bartering prices.??

signmeup

I just know that any time I have been to Asian countries and visited a temple or Wat I respect their custom and take my shoes off and cover my bare legs with a sarong and that is ok, but when they come to my country we are expected to respect their wishes by using their customs as bartering prices.??
Dude! Start your own thread already!

Brandon708

Most Middle Eastern people are programed to get a better deal no matter what. Its so frustrating to deal with them.

again... irrelevant, as far as anyone knows... but more guilty of a thread piracy issue then of racism

I was simply commenting on the Mosh's Post above mine. So it was relevant to his post.

You can tell by this thread that people have some pretty strong feeling on this particular subject.

As for me being racist... I don't think so. If being racist means that I hate to be price haggled on every job then yes I guess I am racist to price hagglers. It's one think to ask for a good deal but to beg and beg and promise to bring more business my way then never do so gets really old. There is only so low businessmen can go due to overhead and that one key reason we are all in this business..... to make money :) and not to give stuff away.

I'm sorry if I offended any "hagglers" on this forum. :peace!:

signmeup

Love the Life of Brian but this thread isn't about haggling or racism. I posted an ugly sign. Wish I hadn't now.

Marlene

Love the Life of Brian but this thread isn't about haggling or racism. I posted an ugly sign. Wish I hadn't now.

Ill talk about the ugly sign with you! that is one ugly sign. not only poorly made but poorly thought out. even if the customer wanted something cheap, there's no excuse not to lay the vinyl down correctly unless it was a do-it-yourselfer who bought the vinyl and did all the work. the motel itself, doesn't look that bad. this is a good example of what not to do as people do judge a business by the sign and I know I wouldn't stay there as it looks nasty.

Bill Cunningham

obviously one of those i can apply it if you just sell me the vinyl jobs the place "saved a lot of money by doing the install themselves...

signmeup

The giant bubbles are really bad and the colours are nasty(the green is three separate pieces!) but the feature that really sets this sign apart is the double sided channel letters. From the street it is illegible. Just a tangle of letters and letter-like shapes.

The ancient, yellow change letter sign at the bottom doesn't help. This place will probably be closed down pretty soon. It's sad... my very first job was there as a dishwasher. Hard work but we had some good times.

iSign

speaking of racism.. um.. I mean nationalism... well, ok, lets just say speaking of generalizations... anyone else think it's funny that signmeup calls that stuff "hockeytape"? ....I've been all over America & we call it electrical tape.. and I was a huge Chicago Blackhawks fan growing up in Chicagoland, getting hockey sticks for many a christmas.. and of course always taping them up with electrical tape...

but only a Canadian would see the stuff used on wiring & still call it Hockey Tape!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: