• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Would like some feedback - wrap for my shop van...

firesignz

Celebrating 10 Years in business
OK, so I bought a new (to me) work van for the shop. Since I have been offering more advanced types of lettering and graphics options lately, I really thought that my shop truck should reflect my design abilities and not have just basic cut vinyl lettering.

I am toying with the idea of wrapping it. (the truck IS 17 years old - but it is perfect for my needs AND the body is SOLID) - Of course since I am mostly a cut vinyl shop right now with outsource printing at my disposal (which is how I do all my full color work) this will require me to actually incur some significant cost versus doing it myself with my own materials and equipment.

I saw the post the other day were the wrap shop guy showed his already wrapped truck and thought that I would post the work in progress design that I have been playing with for the past 3 months for some critique. PLEASE be nice.:rolleyes: This IS a work in progress and has not yet been finalized.

It is my hope that I might get some good suggestions as to how to possibly make this look just right before I jump in to spending the money. Also, I have found that more then one set of eyes looking at something usually helps to avoid mistakes, ommissions or the most obvious things that I just don't see.:doh:

Thanks!:thankyou:
Steve

Attachments

• VanWrapSample.gif
    VanWrapSample.gif
    183.3 KB · Views: 214

firesignz

Oh, and here are pictures of what my old truck looked like - for comparison.

Attachments

• SSPX0381.jpg
    SSPX0381.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 92
  • SSPX0382.jpg
    SSPX0382.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 134

MikePro

i liked the original logo's typography, should keep goin' with it.
maybe make the wrap include more fire truck elements? (not like the original truck's elements, but a photoshop'd fire engine across the whole side)

but if you're sticking with what you got goin' on thusfar, i'd at least say to change the font... and make your strokes lighter, or eliminate altogether, on the top layer.

signmeup

Also you have a main cartoon font with a formal serifed font for sub copy. They just don't go. I'll get flamed for this but Comic Sans would be a better choice for your sub copy. What is your main font....Air Mole?

artsnletters

i understand your dilemma but i'd say back to the drawing board. The font/outlines are not good (to be nice). Secondary copy looks out of place. Get a vehicle template so you can work from a 100% side view (in scale). Look at successful designs you see on here (there are a ton)...emulate the styles (not copy)....remember this becomes your calling card, your first impression of YOUR work. Keep trying, go pick up some sign craft magazines and read Dan Antonelli's articles. They are on line as well. Last thing, i would lose the fire sale prices thing....wouldn't you rather sell on quality instead of price?
Tim

Jillbeans

First thing is what was just said above. Lose that tag line.
You want to be known as the cheapest shop in town?
Because that is what is implied.
The font choices do not go together well.
The logo font is squeezed to pieces.
The outlines are more powerful than the lettering. Try just one.
Try switching to white rather than yellow.
The slant (maybe it's my eyes) does not appear to be the same on the copy.
Lose the brackets on the area code.
Rather than going for a comic look, I would go for a classic fire truck look if that is what you are trying to sell.
Because to me it looks like you do work for fire trucks?
And I don't mean to be mean, I am just being honest.
Love....Jill

firesignz

Funny, the logo was the last thing of concern, (it was done up for me by a friend who is a graphic artist who specializes in logo design - he used a font base for easy vinyl cutting and dressed it up).

We actually liked the logo and have had many compliments on it since putting it on our shop sign and all of our promotion materials (shirts, hats, business cards, website etc). The yellow color was added for the truck layout as the regular logo is a two color setup which usually uses the substrate background as the offset. (See image).

While I respect and appreciate all of the feedback given so far, I was really wondering more about whether or not the logo should be the basis for the design or should I try to include photographic art (signs we have done).

I am trying to break the connotation (need spell check on these forum things) that I do fire trucks. While I have done some emergency service work (minimal) it is the LEAST of my work. I am a volunteer firefighter and decided to incorporate that part of my life into my business when we were looking for a name.

The overall fill on the wrap is to be flames (not necessarily the ones shown - but real flame just the same). Not sure if this is TOO busy and takes away from the overall fire look.

I will re-evaluate the tagline - something I have been thinking about for a while now.

Thanks for everything so far. I look forward to any other insight ayone has to offer.

Attachments

• NewFireSignZLogo.jpg
    NewFireSignZLogo.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 99

Jillbeans

Well if you are stuck on that logo at least stretch it out a bit horizontally.
It is virtually illegible.
:)

Attachments

• Graphic1.jpg
    Graphic1.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 154

signmeup

The logo in post #13 is terrible. People were being polite when they said thay liked that. Fire your designer/friend.

luggnut

i would rethink what kind of customers this design would draw in... in my experience the bigger more established business will not be attracted by something like this. i did my own shop van a few years back similar with flames and all, but the only people it really turned on were kids and others that didn't want to pay.

here is a pic.... looks hot...lol.. but not

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 109

Jillbeans

Luggnut I kinda like that, it's tacky but still stands out.
Makes me crave a draft beer and some peanut M&Ms.

OK here is a mock up.
I am NOT a wrap designer!
Tried to use your logo, a grunge font, and fire.
(said in a Beavis/Butthead voice)
The stripe would have to be cut and layered, probably most of the lettering too, I dunno.
But I would eliminate some of the words if I could and definitely that tagline.
It makes me think that you have some damaged Rotary banners in the back room which you'll sell to the Lions half-price.

I am of the opinion that tru-fire type stuff is now outdated, and would try to avoid it if I could.

Attachments

• van.jpg
    van.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 156

luggnut

it's tacky but still stands out.

i agree but not exactly what i'm shooting for.... a lot of wraps are tacky and stand out, but don't make business owners think "wow! that is a good way to advertise" they make high schoolers think " man that's BADDD.. i want my car in carbon fiber for $200"

firesignz

I think I am getting the idea that simpler is better.

I like the basic style mockup that jillbeans did. It wa actually Kinda where I started when I was thinking I would do it in cut vinyl. I then got carried away when the idea of doing a wrap came into play.

Since the van is fl red (burg) maybe I will consider going back to cut in reflective and maybe aini collage in color print of some recent nice work

firesignz

Funny I would never suggest anything like this to a customer but considered it for myself. Duh!