• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Would you do this?

showcase 66

2 years ago I started to get involved with Kiwanis here locally. A buddy of mine that was already a member, and I came up with the idea of having a "HIMBO" pageant (guys dressed in drag) to raise money. Yes there was a lot of beer involved as well. We did it over St. Patrick day weekend and had a huge turnout for the dinner and festivities.

What we did was a business could sign up to sponsor a Himbo and (preferably) the owner of the business or an employee would be the one who would dress in drag. We based it all around a dinner that as of yesterday is already sold out. $50 a plate or $80 for a couple. We have raised over 10K each year for the last 2 years and hoping to raise even more this year.

Right now we are one himbo down and everybody in the group is wanting me to do it since my buddy did it the first year. I am hoping an praying someone else comes forward soon. I really dont want to do it. A positive for it is that every business who has done the himbo pageant has had a pretty good year and got a lot of new customers from it. Still not sure if I could actually do it.

Reason 1 - I have a tough time getting in front of a big crowd to do a presentation let alone be dressed in drag and get up in front of people.

Reason 2 - I am on the shorter side 5-6 and everyone else is 6'+.

Reason 3 - I dont have the legs for a dress.

So I am curious to know, if you had the opportunity to promote your business and raise money for charity would you enter a Himbo pageant.

Here are some pix from the last 2 years.
I am not in either of them. But my buddy is in one of them.

Attachments

• himbo 2.jpg
    himbo 2.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 118
  • himbo pageant.jpg
    himbo pageant.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 97
  • himbo winner.jpg
    himbo winner.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 110

SD&F

Absolutley, those guys actually look pretty nice. It is for a good cause and it is for fun, nobody should be judging you and if they do who cares. There is much I would do to create business, especially if I could dress up.

GypsyGraphics

OMG, YES.....DO IT, DO IT!!!!

the more straight-laced someone is... the more fun it is to see them NOT taking themselves so serious

it looks like a blast... cut loose and DO IT!

can i get an 8x10 glossy?

WildWestDesigns

Reason 1 - I have a tough time getting in front of a big crowd to do a presentation let alone be dressed in drag and get up in front of people.

One way to help deal with that is to do it more often. Helps build confidence in front of crowds. Given the type of business we are in, that would be a place. Know the material and just let loose and try to have some fun with it.

Can't help much with that I'm afraid. 6'3" myself.

In all honesty, I would hope that you wouldn't.

SignManiac

Hell I dress up every Halloween for our downtown community event. Along with all of our employees. It's mandatory for them unless they're dead. We buy all the costumes for them. I've been the Tin Man from the Wizard of Oz, Chewbacca from Star Wars, Buzz Light year, A pirate, King Tut, and many other characters, all for the children of the world :)

Here's I am as King Tut one year and the background set we built...It's all fun and the beer flows afterwards!

Attachments

• halloween.jpg
    halloween.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 94

genericname

1. You might find being costumed pretty liberating, then. If you have a hard time in front of crowds as yourself, wearing the persona of an imaginary person might help you forget yourself and let loose. It's not "you" up there, it's whoever you decide to be.

2. That will actually work to your benefit! Use it as a strength to stand out from the rest of them.

3. Since this isn't an actual drag competition (I mean for the LGBTQ community), I'm pretty sure it won't matter, as comedy will be as much of a factor as "pulling it off".

In the end, you have to do what you're comfortable with. That being said, there's no harm in pushing your boundaries juuuuust a little bit.

My rugby team did a drag shoot as part of a calendar we put together to raise funds one year, and it went off like gangbusters, with everyone involved having a blast as well.

ashleighfiddler

Yes! do it! It'll be fun for everyone, give your business great exposure, and it will be NOTHING like giving a presentation. Sure it's a little silly but people will really respect you for being willing to take the plunge and do it for a good cause!

Kottwitz-Graphics

I did it in high school... (over 20 years ago), and we had a blast.

The girls in our class did our make up, and several guys had wigs... I borrowed a set of 5" heels from my sister, and strutted my stuff. We all had a blast...

GypsyGraphics

i'm sure your wife or girlfriend would have fun dressing you and could find you a simply smashing little ensemble.

if you're MC'ing or something... maybe you should dress like a prom queen, complete with tiara.
or if you want to go casual... how about yoga pants that say "JUICEY" in pink across the hiney and a little crop pink top.

ooo, ooo, how about some snobby little outfit, big sunglasses and carry a foo-foo dog in your purse!!!!

i'm having fun already!!!

showcase 66

OMG, YES.....DO IT, DO IT!!!!

the more straight-laced someone is... the more fun it is to see them NOT taking themselves so serious

it looks like a blast... cut loose and DO IT!

can i get an 8x10 glossy?

As expected I figured you would be one of the first to to say yes. As for the pic,

If I do it and I win then I will post a pic of my victory walk.