• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Would you use CHAT feature

Would you use a chat feature?

• Yes

Votes: 49 45.0%
  • No

Votes: 60 55.0%

• Total voters
D

DARLAK

If signs101 added a chat feature, would you use it?

ok this was supposed to be a poll....

-moron at work-

what did i do wrong??

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DARLAK

it was my last one, had to run it under hot water....

found some cap't morgan though....

rcook99

I am more for a Corona as I sit by the pool in Orlando with temps due to be in the high 80's tomorrow, as we attempt MGM with the family.

:Cool 2:

OldPaint

some here have been on the chat at letterville. you need MIRC, its a free d/l. www.mirc.com
simple to use, and the other option is SKYPE http://www.skype.com/ iam on it. works like a telephone....you need a mike and a computer...and youre there!!!! iam old paint on both.usually after midnite central time.

Last edited:

SignosaurusRex

While I may use it...if it were in place, I think it's pretty clear as to what the cost would be. Not a monetary cost, but a cost to the administration of this forum in terms of time monitoring and keeping all aspects of a chat feature secure and maintained properly. Fred, Stacy and all the others are already overloaded with enough task keeping this a successful forum. I think those that care to converse with others already do so via phone, email and private messaging. I see no reason to compromise the current success of this forum with added task placed upon the shoulders of our administrators and the rest of the volunteers that help make this site what it is. If a chat feature were to be added, I think that it should come at a cost to users, a subscription of sorts.
There are a couple of threads at the vBulletin forum regarding chat rooms. Here are the main points:

* The majority of forums reported that a chat room was very popular at the time of installation but that once the novelty wore off it fell into disuse. Others reported that it was beneficial and helped regular members get to know eachother better. I suspect that the first group had smaller memberships and less traffic.
* There is no official, supported vBulletin chat room. There are any number of third party chat rooms but only one I found which claims it can be integrated with vBulletin.
* There are security issues reported with some chat rooms whereby entire sites have been hacked by exploiting security holes in the chat room software. The one mentioned above, which can be integrated, claims to be hackproof.

So the short answer is that I have no objection to it and it could be done. The longer answer is that when it comes to operating this forum, I have no depth and am spread so thin that it most likely is a very bad idea to add a chat room. To date I have made several attempts to create that depth ... none of which have resulted in a permanent solution.

Of course Darlak, you already are aware of this response from Fred........but obviously you never learned to recognize Diplomatic Rejection.

Last edited:

RedWolf

I voted "NO". I also agree with what SignosaurusRex has said already. If you need to chat with somebody that badly, get their yahoo or msn username and chat there. That way the staff here does not have to worry about another way that hackers can get into the site. Let the staff have some time to rest..lol.

Matt

cOrKinSA

I would think that the chatting additon would kill the knowledge that flows through these threads and lots of useful information would never be stored for future signmakers to find.
Plus I don't think I feel like seeing...
  • A/S/L looking for a fun time...
  • Want a bigger Penis?...
  • Tired of your bad credit...
posted every ten seconds!

Techman

all ya gotta do is goto MIRC,, a chat room of many years is there fo r sign men and women.
We trade photo's tips, and harras each other. trade tips on farming, grass cutting, kids and our lives. ITs a good place ..

If ya want more info just mention it..

cOrKinSA

The good ol mIRC!
The Old School P2P!
Those were the good old days where if you wanted it badly you had better be ready to hunt for it!

GARY CULY

ill answer with"sometimes" mayby a evening when im at shop running prints .just pass time and b.s. some ...in my opinion i feel it would be VERYi nformative ..i sat in on a couple chats on other subjects before ,,seems once a topic gets started [say a guy is talking bout stepladders ] the talk gets started and many different views are chimed in ..its different that posting these ..also there can 2-4 conversations going on at once ..i personnally find it entertaining for a bit

GARY CULY

comment on post 11.....i agrees with rex .it probly needs to be a fee deal ..i dont understand any of what goes on in keeping a site up or anything about adding a chat [either the cost or time involved] but i know either is not 0.

Jillbeans

Nope...why chat when you can just pick up the phone?
I hate being tied to a computer.
I also think chatting makes forums become rather cliqué-ish.
Love....Jill

D

DARLAK

Nope...why chat when you can just pick up the phone?
I hate being tied to a computer.
I also think chatting makes forums become rather cliqué-ish.
Love....Jill

you hate being tied to a computer???

you seem to be on here allot....

Jillbeans

I am!
I surf the forums while cutting vynull.
But to have to sit here all day/night just to chat would suck.
I prefer the phone to chat or texting. It's easier and portable.
Love....Jill