• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wow, Check out this estimate

Brandon708

Correctimundo. The original quote does show a QUANTITY discount.
Correct. But what could of happened is they typed (2x) signs in the discription but forgot to add it in the quantity so it multiplied the amount. Added a separate line item with a discount. Didn't pay attention to the estimate before sending it.

rossmosh

Why is it that you guys wear the it's more expensive where I live notion like it's some sort of badge of honor that nobody else can understand unless they live it too? I don't need to have basic economic principals explained. I've lived in higher cost of living areas and never saw much higher aside from housing, tolls and crappy commutes. Anecdotal yes but it's from actual experience. Commodity prices are generally the same and vary more for geographic reasons (trucking) than anything else. Car insurance and health insurance, its risk pool, Florida is high and considered low cost of living. Taxes, look at Virginia, state taxes are the same percentage for those in Alexandria as those in Emporia. Same with Illinois. You guys just think all of this stuff is caused by something special that only you have.

I'm always perplexed by people not understanding the basics of cost of living and how it impacts prices. If it's more expensive to live in a region/state, it's typically going to be more expensive to do business there. As a result, typically prices will be more expensive.

Now can you run a business in a high cost of living area while offering similar prices as low cost of living areas? Yes. There are exceptions to every generalization or rule. That doesn't disqualify the rule. It also doesn't make it a valid point.

TimToad

I'm always perplexed by people not understanding the basics of cost of living and how it impacts prices. If it's more expensive to live in a region/state, it's typically going to be more expensive to do business there. As a result, typically prices will be more expensive.

Now can you run a business in a high cost of living area while offering similar prices as low cost of living areas? Yes. There are exceptions to every generalization or rule. That doesn't disqualify the rule. It also doesn't make it a valid point.

I don't deny the rule and certainly factor in those higher than normal costs when trying to understand why so many of my competitors seem to defy it on a daily basis. While material costs are fairly close nationwide, nearly everything else is skewed to the LCOL.

We have shops here using wholesale trade printers and just marking up the work $1.00 per square for banners, coroplast, etc. when the going rate around here GIVEN our cost of living for banners should be around $8.00 per square foot. We lose most banner quotes anytime we get anywhere near that figure unless its someone in a hurry or a regular client of ours who knows they can expect great quality and service from us.

We have sign/wrap shops doing wraps for $10 per square foot INSTALLED. Of the half dozen shops closest to us, nearly all are family businesses where nearly everyone employed is a family member. I'd like to think they are paying commensurate wages, but somehow doubt it's always the case based on what we hear about their pricing structures.

Whenever I see the want ads of other nearby shops if a wage is posted, it's usually $2-3 dollars an hour lower than our starting wage and with few if any benefits.

Labor retention is abysmally low throughout every industry in our area and if not for the high quality of life factors outside of income and financial security, it'd be tough to justify being here for anybody. Plenty of businesses are plenty profitable, but in our case, that profitability is tinged by working extra hours ourselves and not offering overtime to any employees.

equippaint

I don't deny the rule and certainly factor in those higher than normal costs when trying to understand why so many of my competitors seem to defy it on a daily basis. While material costs are fairly close nationwide, nearly everything else is skewed to the LCOL.

We have shops here using wholesale trade printers and just marking up the work $1.00 per square for banners, coroplast, etc. when the going rate around here GIVEN our cost of living for banners should be around $8.00 per square foot. We lose most banner quotes anytime we get anywhere near that figure unless its someone in a hurry or a regular client of ours who knows they can expect great quality and service from us.

We have sign/wrap shops doing wraps for $10 per square foot INSTALLED. Of the half dozen shops closest to us, nearly all are family businesses where nearly everyone employed is a family member. I'd like to think they are paying commensurate wages, but somehow doubt it's always the case based on what we hear about their pricing structures.

Whenever I see the want ads of other nearby shops if a wage is posted, it's usually $2-3 dollars an hour lower than our starting wage and with few if any benefits.

Labor retention is abysmally low throughout every industry in our area and if not for the high quality of life factors outside of income and financial security, it'd be tough to justify being here for anybody. Plenty of businesses are plenty profitable, but in our case, that profitability is tinged by working extra hours ourselves and not offering overtime to any employees.
That's what I was trying to say. Hypothetically speaking, areas that cost more to live should see higher prices but it just does not seem to work that way. A big difference between the high cost and low cost areas is typically more business opportunities exist in the more expensive areas so there is more volume and less slack time which may make up for prices being flat.

jman

Just for reference, I measured the existing signs at 5x12', going to be interesting when they give the customer 5x10's lmao

Stacey K

I like making signs
The SignCraft 2019 Sign Pricing guide has a 4' x 10' 1/4" ACM sign with high performance vinyl film at $393.00 (at their lowest pricing tier). Going with that sq.ft. price, that would put a 5' x 10' at $491.25 ($936.25 for two).

My price would be $615 for one, $1190.00 for two ($617.50 each). I would have to consider the cut-off because all I can get in my area (without being hit with a shipping charge) is a 6' X 10' ACM panel.
I use the pricing guide for reference also. The lowest tier is for 1 color basic lettering. If they go right in between the Intermediate and Complex it comes out to $742 so for one panel they are just a little under that. They HAD to have made an error with the quantity column.

equippaint

Just for reference, I measured the existing signs at 5x12', going to be interesting when they give the customer 5x10's lmao
but didn't you quote the same thing @ 5x10? If not then wouldn't it have been a pretty simple conversation with the customer that the quote they got is lower because theyre not the right size?

jman

but didn't you quote the same thing @ 5x10? If not then wouldn't it have been a pretty simple conversation with the customer that the quote they got is lower because theyre not the right size?

2 feet isn't going to make them under $350 each though lol

I was at $750 each for 5x10 and $1000 each for 5x12 2 color on white acm

TimToad

That's what I was trying to say. Hypothetically speaking, areas that cost more to live should see higher prices but it just does not seem to work that way. A big difference between the high cost and low cost areas is typically more business opportunities exist in the more expensive areas so there is more volume and less slack time which may make up for prices being flat.

For the most part, I think it's all true, but as with everything, outliers exist for a variety of reasons.

Big cities or small towns, there have always been those that think they can outsmart the laws of economics and underbid others and not have it catch up with them eventually.
2 feet isn't going to make them under $350 each though lol

I was at $750 each for 5x10 and $1000 each for 5x12 2 color on white acm

Wait, so you're at $15 per square foot for the first 50 square feet of sign, but that extra 10 square feet is $25 per square feet?

Is that due to all the drop off involved being forced to make it out of two pieces?

ikarasu

We sell double sided coro flatbed prints for $300 each... Not a lot, but it's our price and we usually get 1-2 a week. Way overpriced in my opinion, but not my call. Meanwhile the guy down the road is doing them for $1-150.

Making $40-50 on a sign isnt worth it to us in such small quantities. Most of our jobs are bulk orders, or custom jobs that pay a lot more. If someone orders 10 4x8s the price drops considerably.

Maybe that guy really is doing it for a few bucks proffit because he's so slow. Word will get out.. He'll be so busy doing those jobs for such little proffit that he won't have time to do anything else.

This is why most shops dont make it... Anyone can buy a printer and learn how to print. Not everyone can pickup business senses though... And most don't. I wouldn't try to match or even lower my prices...I'd tell them that's one he'll of a deal and you can't even come close. Tell them you hope the signs look good and last... And wish them the best. Odds are they'll be back to get it replaced... Or in a few months to a year when that shop goes out of business.