• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

wrapping extreme corners.

altereddezignz

Hello again everyone. I am new to wrapping and all has been going really good as far as the wrapping process but one place i am having issues is around the back of the cab of a truck. For some reason it either takes forever to get it without a wrinkle or crease. Any help would be great. Have a buddy wanting me to do a full/ partial wrap on the rear of his h1 hummer and dont want to mess up on the roll from side to the roof.

And does anyone know a way to estimate the sf of material or size foa job that you cannot get to to be able to give a ruff estimate?

Thanks

jfiscus

Rap Master
ProVehicleOutlines.com has the templates you need to get your square footage.
Lots of heat and patience to get those extreme corners; they aint easy or everyone would be a master installer.

altereddezignz

ProVehicleOutlines.com has the templates you need to get your square footage.
Lots of heat and patience to get those extreme corners; they aint easy or everyone would be a master installer.

Very true. Was just curious if anyone had some pointers. I just did my first full wrap and it turned out very good other than some issues on the rear back area f the cab where it goes around to the back glass.

altereddezignz

Attachments

• chevy.jpg
    chevy.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 135

boxerbay

thats not a hummer H1? the H1 doesn't have corners like that. Do you mean the H2 hummer?

heat and pull the vinyl up and out at a 45' angle until the ripple disappears.

altereddezignz

I had the same type issue on the truck like this i just wrapped. Yes it is not a hummer and no i didnt think about it when i posted the image lol.. The hummer has the same type of radius from the side to the roof.

Attachments

• 3083333898933189.jpg
    3083333898933189.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 167

Kwiksigns

wookie
you don't need heat to wrap that top corner, nor should you use any. you want to pull the vinyl towards the roof on top and down towards the glass. sort of away from the corner in both directions. you should be able to get it to lay flat on the corner and then work it away from the corner in both directions. at least that is how i do it and have not had any failures yet.

altereddezignz

you don't need heat to wrap that top corner, nor should you use any. you want to pull the vinyl towards the roof on top and down towards the glass. sort of away from the corner in both directions. you should be able to get it to lay flat on the corner and then work it away from the corner in both directions. at least that is how i do it and have not had any failures yet.

What about the truck in the back area since your have a roof line along with a rear corner and a compound curve that rolls down from the back of the door?

It may be just me needing practice also.

petepaz

Heat, stretching and patience...... Lots of patience. Or if all else fails see if you can put a seem there. (not the best but may look better then wrinkles or risk of it pulling back from all the stretching)

Kwiksigns

wookie
What about the truck in the back area since your have a roof line along with a rear corner and a compound curve that rolls down from the back of the door?

It may be just me needing practice also.

I was referring to the truck not the hummer. The hummer would depend how it was designed. The hummer looks pretty easy. That extrusion I would just work it around onto the roof, going inside the groove not gap and heating it in.

The truck cab, the roof is a separate piece. Sometimes I even put a piece down first and make a seam because sometimes it is such a pain to get your hands between the cab and the bed. If you had one to practice on, that would be your best bet. Trying to wrap it and see what is too much heat or what you can do without heat. Knowing where to heat the vinyl is also really helpful for grooves. Sometimes you can heat the vinyl far enough from the groove to where it stretches on a flat part of the film and lets you work the vinyl in without worry. Arlon and 3m has some videos on that method. http://wrapitright.com/

altereddezignz

Thanks for all the information everyone. I really do appreciate it. We wrapped a truck that we had here to test with and had not planned on it being the final wrap b/c we needed to learn. Was told to use a overlap rather than a butt type. We did the overlap and i just dont like it but was told that the butt type would separate over time.
Right now there is a seam on the front fender and the door.

Attachments

• 12008339_10153147942362666_1676319291_o.jpg
    12008339_10153147942362666_1676319291_o.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 168
  • 12033737_10153164072142666_210201613_n.jpg
    12033737_10153164072142666_210201613_n.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 159
  • 12033498_10153147941937666_1759668186_n.jpg
    12033498_10153147941937666_1759668186_n.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 132
  • 12032583_10153164069242666_1074250414_n.jpg
    12032583_10153164069242666_1074250414_n.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 131
  • 12042262_10153164068652666_536209395_n.jpg
    12042262_10153164068652666_536209395_n.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 141

altereddezignz

I was referring to the truck not the hummer. The hummer would depend how it was designed. The hummer looks pretty easy. That extrusion I would just work it around onto the roof, going inside the groove not gap and heating it in.

The truck cab, the roof is a separate piece. Sometimes I even put a piece down first and make a seam because sometimes it is such a pain to get your hands between the cab and the bed. If you had one to practice on, that would be your best bet. Trying to wrap it and see what is too much heat or what you can do without heat. Knowing where to heat the vinyl is also really helpful for grooves. Sometimes you can heat the vinyl far enough from the groove to where it stretches on a flat part of the film and lets you work the vinyl in without worry. Arlon and 3m has some videos on that method. http://wrapitright.com/

We did not wrap the roof on this truck it was 3 panels on the sides of it. On the 14 trucks the area i have outlines is part of the side of the cab and it wraps around the back of the truck to the back glass. Or atleast that is where the body seem is at. I may be wrong.

Kwiksigns

wookie
yeah, I know what you mean. I just pull it tight and work it slowly around the curves, but I do the top corner like i stated earlier, and I do the corner first before getting it to the break in the body.

Also, never, ever do a "butt type" seam.

altereddezignz

yeah, I know what you mean. I just pull it tight and work it slowly around the curves, but I do the top corner like i stated earlier, and I do the corner first before getting it to the break in the body.

Also, never, ever do a "butt type" seam.

Your last statement makes me feel much better about my decision but i know i did leave to much of an overlap. What is normal for an overlap?

Kwiksigns

wookie
Your last statement makes me feel much better about my decision but i know i did leave to much of an overlap. What is normal for an overlap?

.5"-1". I usually go less than 1" because I think it looks cleaner. In one instance, I was contacted by a company to do an install and they sent me the wrap with 2" seams. It looked really odd. The seams might bother you but looking at the pictures you can't tell where they are. And nobody is supposed to be inspecting it anyway. I've only had 2 customers complain about seams. Usually informing them that 90% of wraps have them and this is just the way it is when you have something that can't be covered in one panel and to keep your cost down, this is how we do it

altereddezignz

.5"-1". I usually go less than 1" because I think it looks cleaner. In one instance, I was contacted by a company to do an install and they sent me the wrap with 2" seams. It looked really odd. The seams might bother you but looking at the pictures you can't tell where they are. And nobody is supposed to be inspecting it anyway. I've only had 2 customers complain about seams. Usually informing them that 90% of wraps have them and this is just the way it is when you have something that can't be covered in one panel and to keep your cost down, this is how we do it
Ok. This truck had 2 inch seams but we are not sure this wrap will even stay on it and i honestly screwed up when i did the overlap. I thought when setting the overlap up in my software that when i set it to 2" it meant it would over lap each by 1". So yeah had a head in rear moment lol..Anyone here use bad wraps templates. Was curious b/c all of the templates are angled. I guess it wouldn't matter as long as you angle all of your images and so on to match the angle of the truck. I think this is why a couple of the items on my truck are off like the hoxie and the website. Wonder if it would be easier or look strange if the website and the hoxie we put on over the top of the rest of the background in layers i guess.

Kwiksigns

wookie
Ok. This truck had 2 inch seams but we are not sure this wrap will even stay on it and i honestly screwed up when i did the overlap. I thought when setting the overlap up in my software that when i set it to 2" it meant it would over lap each by 1". So yeah had a head in rear moment lol..Anyone here use bad wraps templates. Was curious b/c all of the templates are angled. I guess it wouldn't matter as long as you angle all of your images and so on to match the angle of the truck. I think this is why a couple of the items on my truck are off like the hoxie and the website. Wonder if it would be easier or look strange if the website and the hoxie we put on over the top of the rest of the background in layers i guess.

You can do it in layers if you are worried about something lining up. I try to keep overlays minimal because I don't want to have to worry about other pieces when I finish a wrap but overall I think they don't look out of place. And don't assume that vinyl will come off without damaging the wrap.

I have used Bad Wrap templates before. They are good for the most part. I usually design in illustrator and use a bad wrap template/picture of the vehicle as an overlay to see if my template is accurate and make adjustments as needed