• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Xc540 error

bvaleri

Was printing some vinyl and the carriage caught on the media clamp (broke it) and then gave me scan motor error 0010 0010. Went after resetting it it gave me service call 0110.

I have cleaned the encoder strip, put the carriage over the media and turned it on in service mode to verify it rolls back to the home position. Ran a linear calibration and sensor check and reset the limit initialization. None of that made a difference. It will turn on and immediately clunks and gives me one of the two error codes again. Carriage does not move upon start up unless it's left over the media area and returns.

Looking for any ideas on what you would do to resolve this issue. I've seen that I could need a new encoder strip and sensor but wanted to get opinions before buying anything.

damonCA21

If the other things you have tried haven't fixed it, then it could be physical damage to the actual carriage and the carriage is sticking when it gets to the home position. I would move it out and look underneath and at the back and see if anything has bent or looks out of shape.

If the strip and encoder were working fine before it hit the clamp, then they are probably fine. Sometimes you can reset it by turning the printer off, moving just the cut carriage all the way to the left ( not in service mode ). If this moves it all the way to the right then reconnects to the print carriage it can make it work again

bvaleri

I did not see any damage or obstructions, putting it all the way to the other side and turning it on did not help just sends me back to service call 0110. Was trying to find my lube to see if the rail just needed some lubrication but can't seem to locate it.

I'm assuming if the carriage has no issue coming all the way from the left the motor and encoder should be sufficient. Not sure what would be holding it up from moving once locked though. Side note, when do the limit initialization it takes many times to get it actually locked and not move able by hand.

bvaleri

After trying everything a bunch of times no luck. I did however notice the far side media clamp roller is not dropping tight enough to keep that side from moving. Don't think that would affect this issue but will need to figure that out as well.

bvaleri

Sounds like you didn't do the limit pos. Initialize correctly.
What could I have done wrong? Set position, click enter push the cutting portion to the opposite side click enter and it returns and says complete right? Am I missing something in the process?

damonCA21

After trying everything a bunch of times no luck. I did however notice the far side media clamp roller is not dropping tight enough to keep that side from moving. Don't think that would affect this issue but will need to figure that out as well.
That could also be causing a problem. There is a position sensor in the handle that lowers the clamps to tell the printer it has been clamped, then the cut carriage will do its move across to measure the width of the vinyl. If for some reason it can't read this then it may not move the carriage from the starting position. Normally this would give the sheet not loaded message though.

As its giving a 0110 still though I would be looking more towards the encoder scale. What did you clean it with? It is possible you have damaged the start area. The printer needs to be able to read the very far right of the scale to initialise the carriage to move.

As cornholio mentioned though, go through and do the initialisation again. There is also an encoder setup / calibration in the service menu. This will test the encoder and read the entire strip to make sure all that is working ok

bvaleri

Cleaned it with IPA, have done the limit initialization many times as well as the encoder setup and calibration. Tried them in different orders as well just in case and that didn't help.

The clamp will be a problem, but I don't think it is affecting this issue, the carriage isn't moving with media unloaded unless I do encoder calibration/setup.

DL Signs

Never go against the family
If you didn't damage the encoder, check the clamp that attaches the carriage to the scan cable, make sure it's tight and not slipping. Sometimes a quick stop under power can cause it to slip, if it keeps slipping it'll cause that error too. Remedy is just re-tighten the screws, then run the initialization again. They don't tighten the screws super tight so it can give a little in a strike, and if it slips at all under load after a strike, it'll throw everything off.

Check the gears on the scan motor too, it may have damaged some teeth. I've had both of those problems back when I ran Rolands, the carriage slipping on the cable drove me nuts trying to find what was wrong.

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
The 0110 error code indicates a mismatch between the values read from the encoder strip and the encoder disc in the scan motor. There can be multiple causes for this – see attached. I would not rule out a damaged scan motor at this point, depending upon how violent the head crash was. I once replaced a scan motor in an SP-300 with a new one and was unable to get past the linear encoder setup. There was no indication of a problem with the scan motor. All head movement was proper, ran aging, etc. It wasn’t until I put another scan motor in that I was able to proceed with the repair. This doesn’t appear to be your problem, from what I’ve read. I would suggest running the linear encoder setup several times and closely watch the numbers on the display to see if the maximum number is consistently the same. When you cleaned the encoder strip, did you do it in the machine, or remove it. I would suggest removing it, clean it again (acetone and a microfiber cloth) and insure there are no scratches on it. Also make sure there is not slack in the drive belt, as this could cause the readings from the encoder strip and the scan motor to start at different times. Have you done the aging step to see if the scan motor runs under a load?

Attachments

• 0110 error code.JPG
    0110 error code.JPG
    273.5 KB · Views: 70

bvaleri

I will give all of these a shot, haven't tested aging yet so probably start with that and i did not pull the encoder strip out only cleaned in the machine.

I believe what happened was the sheet cut arm somehow dropped while it was trying to print and that's what hit the media clamp. I also see now that only the pinch roller closest to the screen is securing the media, none of the others lower far enough to hold, not sure what would be happening there.

damonCA21

If the carriage hit the media clamp hard enough to break it, it may have bent or shifted the bar that the pinch rollers and clamps attach to. It could also have cracked them ( the black plastic parts can become brittle over time and crack, which stop them being able to give the proper pressure onto the vinyl )

damonCA21

With the media strip, pay particular attention to the first few inches on the right hand side. It may be worth just replacing the strip anyway so at least you know you are working with a brand new one with no issues

bvaleri

Runs aging with no issue, cleaned and sent the carriage back and forth as if there was never a problem. It's still running aging so will test other stuff after.

I will check that out on the pinch roller side as well thanks. The metal on the clamp didn't break just the plastic part that locks on to the printer. Basically the cutter section pushed the entire clamp turning it probably 45 degrees before it errored out but being turned at that angle while attached is what messed it up.

damonCA21

Ah ok that adds a bit more then. If the carriage was stuck pushing against the clamp and kept running it may have damaged the motor. They are quite powerful, but blocking them from turning can cause either internal damage or the splines on the drive gear to strip as they are only soft brass. It could also be the drive gear has come loose as it is only a push fit onto the motor shaft. When this happens the carriage can move sometimes, but if comes under too much load the gear slips. When you first turn the printer on and it checks the position, it has to move both the cut carriage and print head, so puts more strain on the motor

bvaleri

Well after letting aging run for 30 minutes with no issue I ran encoder and calibration (did it multiple times and the numbers were the same each time) reset limit initialization and service call error is still present. I didn't see any issues with the teeth on the motor and no scratches or damage present on the encoder strip. Did get the pinch rollers functioning properly again though.

I'm now wondering if the cut carriage portion is having an issue. Whenever I run the tests the sheet cut arm drops into the engaged position, I believe that should be up at warm up. Obviously can't setup roll if the cutter is down.

damonCA21

Yes the arm should be up all the time unless you are actually cutting a sheet. I think there is a sensor in the head that tells the printer the arm is down, so that could be an issue. See if you can fix the arm up with some tape or something and see if that helps.
I suppose the impact could have snapped something inside on the arm mechanism

bvaleri

Looks like I'm missing spring part 18, seems strange that little guy is the only thing that keeps the blade up.
Screenshot_20231016-115006_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
FYI - you only need to run the aging for about 10 passes or so. It's auto-adjusting the voltage to the scan motor so it runs the same speed in both directions. The older Rolands required an adjustment of a potentiometer, now it's done electronically.
Here's a link to the spring - https://us.digiprint-supplies.com/en/cm-500-spring-blade-up-22175154-potro008
As damonCA21 suggested, tape the sheet cut blade holder up until you can replace the spring. It probably took a hike when it crashed into the media clamp. If your pinch rollers assemblies are damaged, I have 2 outer and 2 inner assemblies for that printer. Used, but they aren't a wear-out type of assembly, so used is as good as new.