• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Xc540 error

bvaleri

FYI - you only need to run the aging for about 10 passes or so. It's auto-adjusting the voltage to the scan motor so it runs the same speed in both directions. The older Rolands required an adjustment of a potentiometer, now it's done electronically.
Here's a link to the spring - https://us.digiprint-supplies.com/en/cm-500-spring-blade-up-22175154-potro008
As damonCA21 suggested, tape the sheet cut blade holder up until you can replace the spring. It probably took a hike when it crashed into the media clamp. If your pinch rollers assemblies are damaged, I have 2 outer and 2 inner assemblies for that printer. Used, but they aren't a wear-out type of assembly, so used is as good as new.
Ordered the spring, and thanks for the info on the aging run time, I was wondering about that. My pinch rollers all seem to be good now, all I did was adjust the positions a little and they all clamped, appreciate the offer though.

bvaleri

Don't know that this is going to fix the service call error though. I removed the sheet cut arm altogether (rather than taping) and it still gave me the error.

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
It's about the linear encoder and the scan motor encoder being in sync. It seems the linear encoder board and encoder strip are OK, because the linear encoder step was good and consistent in its readings. Everything else checks out. Just to clarify, exactly when do you get the error? Is it when you send a file?

bvaleri

It's about the linear encoder and the scan motor encoder being in sync. It seems the linear encoder board and encoder strip are OK, because the linear encoder step was good and consistent in its readings. Everything else checks out. Just to clarify, exactly when do you get the error? Is it when you send a file?
I get the error as soon as I turn it on. The cut carriage moves off and back and the head moves and then says processing and then the service call comes up.

bvaleri

But you can come up in service mode, correct? When do you get the error in service mode?
Correct I do not get the error in service mode at any point, but I haven't tried to setup roll or anything in service mode just ran the encoder items and aging.

bvaleri

Did not work, did setup it moved the cut carriage and head carriage like it would not in service mode then said processing and service call just like doing it in normal booting.

bvaleri

I just pulled the cover and what not so I could see the scan motor while it trying to run it. With easier visibility of it, I can see after it does those initial movements the gear does a little bit of jerking while it's saying processing almost like it's trying to turn but won't. I guess that means it's that motor but it only fails under certain conditions? Seems odd that the motor would work fine for everything else aside from start up processing.

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
I know it seems odd, but the error is about positional data from the encoder sensor/encoder strip matching the data from the encoder disc in the scan motor. They go on a one-to-one match. If you look closely at the encoder strip with a magnifying glass, you will see it is equidistant black lines and clear spaces. The same on the encoder disc, which is buried in the bottom of the scan motor. They are the rulers for the printer, along with the encoder wheel for the feed motor. So, for every line on the encoder disc the scan motor reads, the encoder sensor needs to read one line on the encoder strip. If they are not in sync, i.e., one-to one, it gives the 0110 error code. It needs this precise positional data in order to fire the print head data at the precise location on the media where the data is in in the file. If this data doesn't match, the printer doesn't know EXACTLY where the printhead is and it errors out. Remember, you can print up to 1440 dpi, so if the data coordinates aren't exact, you can get crappy prints, if it even runs. This data has nothing to do with the scan motor turning, only when and how much to turn when it receives certain specific commands from the servo board, such as doing sheet setup and printing. Hope this makes sense...

bvaleri

Sounds like best path forward is find a new motor and hope nothing else happened during that stoppage. Any thoughts on generic motors that are a quarter of the price of the oem?

I only created one icc profile to print at 1440dpi, was working perfect for a couple weeks until yesterday.

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
If you are using Roland OEM ink, you should be fine. A generic motor will work fine. I would avoid anything shipping from China, and never, never buy anything from Indonesia or Malaysia! Digiprint has a generic motor in stock. https://us.digiprint-supplies.com/en/aj-1000-assy-scan-motor-6700049030-pmorosj006o Anything else I found is either out of stock or from the aforementioned countries. A Roland OEM motor will be very hard to find.

bvaleri

Found one on Amazon for under 300 manufacturer seems to be based in Turkey, no idea if their stuff would be any good though.

I don't use roland ink which is why I had to buy an xrite and create my own icc.

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
I would verify by phone if they are in stock in the US. Most of the motors are made in China, anyway. Turkey? Not too sure... Make sure it's returnable, if possible. No returns accepted can be a red flag...

bvaleri

I'll probably go with the ebay one then, even if it had to be shipped from China I have the time. Just hope this is the only issue aside from the missing spring.

damonCA21

The gear definitely shouldn't be jerking like that. It should move smoothly so it may have a problem. Generic motors should be ok, but check they have the correct wiring to the plug as not all of them seem to !

The other thing I did wonder is if the head is actually staying in the locked position and not releasing, so on startup when the printer tries to move it to the left and right to get its position, it can't do this so isn't able to read the encoder positions.