• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Xc540 error

bvaleri

Disregard, changing the sensor was easy. However it did not fix the issue. New motor, strip, and sensor all in there. Ran limit, then encoder, and calibration but still getting the service call.

damonCA21

Thats a shame. Was the motor you fitted an OEM one or one of the chinese copies? They copies don't always work as well as they should!

It could be to do with the pinch sensor to the right of the head. Maybe the printer isn't registering the head is there properly on startup. Other than that its probably time to start changing boards

bvaleri

Chinese motor but doing the same thing it did with the original.

Not really sure what pinch sensor you are referring to, the one that senses the pinch rollers lever is in the locked position or the the little metal knob type thing that the head carriage locks on? Not sure what boards would need swapping, but hopefully it doesn't need any more boards swapped or repaired.

damonCA21

The little knob is just a knob, it doesn't have any sensing. I'm not that familiar with the layout of the XC, but there should also be a sensor on the right hand side that senses when the print head is in the docked position. It will look something like this ( the black part ). This is so the printer knows when the head has reached the far right position so it doesn't keep trying to move it once it gets there and cuts the power to the motor. It is normally around the same area as the end of the encoder strip

Attachments

• 0059856_gx-24-assypinch-sens-board-w877001301_550.jpeg
    0059856_gx-24-assypinch-sens-board-w877001301_550.jpeg
    21.1 KB · Views: 35

bvaleri

I think i found the sensor you are referring to, the metal tab on the head carriage pushes into it when it locks onto the metal knob. It is dirty so I'll clean it and see if that helps at all first.

I did try and turn it on yesterday and put a little pressure on the head carriage as if I was going to move it to the opposite end. Just that little bit of pressure moved it from processing to cleaning and brought me to the home screen with no error. Did not let me setup roll without the error coming back though. Brings me back to your previous idea that the head carriage may not be unlocking for some reason.

damonCA21

It's worth trying, but it is very unusual to ruin an encoder strip when installing. Even if it was damaged in the middle, the printer would still read up to the damaged point ok.

Also cleaning a sensor wouldn't help if the actual sensor itself is faulty, or if there is a problem with the board the sensor is connecting to

bvaleri

Wouldn't the head lock sensor give service call 0102? Can get the sensor cheap enough that might be worth a shot still but might have to get a new belt too. Was reading another thread on here same issue, replaced everything and belt was the fix.

damonCA21

Sensor issues can often be quite random. As so many parts of the printer interact with each other, one sensor can cause something else to happen that can give a different error code.

bvaleri

Fair enough, sensor is cheaper than a belt so ordered that and will see if that solves the issue. If not think the belt would be the last ditch effort before having to swap servo board or try and repair but I didn't see any issues when testing it.

bvaleri

Well finally got that sensor in and hooked up. Thought it was going to be good, no service call initially did its cleaning. Tried to setup roll and service call again.

damonCA21

That is strange that it worked once and the did the service call again. Unless the motor is not working properly I think with the other parts you have tried it may be pointing to a board error

bvaleri

Ya I'm not sure what else it could be, I tested the board and saw no issues. Will have to pull it again and make sure I didn't miss a bad IC or something last time.

damonCA21

It could be one of the ICs that can't be replaced. These are custom made for Roland, and there isn't really an easy way to test them unfortunately. Even the Roland official technicians don't do board level work, they just replace them and see if it fixes the problem.
It could even be something like a bad cable connection inside the printer somewhere. I worked on one not so long ago that was giving sensor problems. I tested the sensor out of the printer and it was fine. Tried fitting a new sensor and that didn't work. Eventually took apart more of it and found out a mouse had been nesting inside it ( must have been nice and warm in the night ) and had nibbled through one of the sensor cables !

bvaleri

I checked it out again no bad ribbon cables or chewed up wires etc. I tested it and saw no issues. Turned it on with board exposed both led 1&2 stay lit up and green the whole startup process. This time it did not do a clean cycle and immediately gave the service call. I'm not sure but I wouldn't think board at this point and don't have the funds to just swap a servo board right now anyway. I'll try and switch back to the old motor and see if maybe with the new sensors and encoder strip maybe it will magically work.

damonCA21

Its worth a try just in case the new motor is faulty, it has been known. One other thing I would try is giving the bearing blocks on the back of the print head a good lubrication. If they get sticky it could be the head is sticking in the start position and that is causing the error. The head should move smoothly and easily from the head dock right to the other side and back.
I have encountered this before on printers that have been out of use for quite a while. The motor isn't strong enough to move the head, so it gives the scan motor error

bvaleri

I've been meaning to try some lube but I lost my bottle of it and then forgot that I still need to do that. If that turns out to be the issue I'll feel real dumb. If I can find the lube I'll give it a shot after lunch thanks for the reminder