• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Logo Critique

J

john1

Dan.... how much are you paying this guy ?? :cool1:

Oh Gino lol

I know it was going to sound like a salesman but these books really helped me. I can't not support something i can see that will help others!

Jillbeans

Here's a quick (and rather lame) suggestion.

Attachments

• Graphic1.jpg
    Graphic1.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 66

Locals Find!

I am No Expert here. By any means, however, I have an idea you maybe can do something with.

Why not have a house or roof shape and incorporate the right leg of the "N" in New to be the Chimney coming out of the roof with the smoke and incorporate the other "ew" sitting next to in the house with some different shades or color. That way it will be obvious its roofing company and a chimney company.

I am probably going to get bashed for even suggesting this. So Let me just say good luck.

Edit: I have attached a very rough sketch I made of what I was thinking. You can get an idea of what I was suggesting though.

Attachments

• new_finish_rough_sketch.jpg
    new_finish_rough_sketch.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:

HulkSmash

I am No Expert here. By any means, however, I have an idea you maybe can do something with.

Why not have a house or roof shape and incorporate the right leg of the "N" in New to be the Chimney coming out of the roof with the smoke and incorporate the other "ew" sitting next to in the house with some different shades or color. That way it will be obvious its roofing company and a chimney company.

I am probably going to get bashed for even suggesting this. So Let me just say good luck.

Edit: I have attached a very rough sketch I made of what I was thinking. You can get an idea of what I was suggesting though.

Can i unsee what i've just seen.

beckz5

I am just starting to learn about the sign /production industry, but I have been doing logos and graphics for well over 16 years. Some things you may want to consider when designing to a company. Simple is better. The goal is to boil down everything about a company into one clear graphic that communicates and more important is memorable. Many times the stars align and it all falls into place very easy to a natural iconic solution. Other times it does not ...but there are other options. Not saying that this is your solution, but when no icon seems natural, a carefully selected or designed type face works very well. Look at your own logo. CGWRAPS does not rely on the icon but rather the boldness of it's typeface. Not knowing all the applications, but, I would imagine the company uses several work trucks, so a horizontal logo should work well. I hope this helps. Good Luck and let us see the results.

Locals Find!

Can i unsee what i've just seen.

Why would you want to do that. Here are some local roofing company's from my area to show you my idea had some merit.

Attachments

• 7e1178a3cc3244c78ca7538e429e6194.jpg
    7e1178a3cc3244c78ca7538e429e6194.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 65
  • 8824.jpg
    8824.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 82
  • 30557.logo.gif
    30557.logo.gif
    1.9 KB · Views: 106
  • RoofSmart Logo_Xsmall.JPG
    RoofSmart Logo_Xsmall.JPG
    3.4 KB · Views: 73
  • c340f6f766c844b3a7ec94ab257a41ee.png
    c340f6f766c844b3a7ec94ab257a41ee.png
    7.5 KB · Views: 63
  • 127946.jpg
    127946.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 70

SignManiac

Adtechias suggestion as a concept does have merit. I've seen numerous roofing companies use a stylized roof in a logo setting. I would recommend drinking a cup of herbal tea to relax the creative side of the brain. If that fails to stimulate the thought process, I would then try smoking half a spliff and see where that leads to.

beckz5

Dear Adtechias,

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that your "Why would you do that" and your "to show you my idea had merit" post was address to my me.

The "why would you do that" part was for Laserman70 and comes from the 250 or so logos I have designed.

As for "showing me your ideas had merit" no need, your ideas are very insightful and right on the money. I hope Laserman70 will benefit from all our posts.

Locals Find!

Dear Adtechias,

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that your "Why would you do that" and your "to show you my idea had merit" post was address to my me.

The "why would you do that" part was for Laserman70 and comes from the 250 or so logos I have designed.

As for "showing me your ideas had merit" no need, your ideas are very insightful and right one the money. I hope Laserman70 will benefit from all our posts.

I wasn't directing my post at you in anyway. Your post was very insightful. I was directing my post at Colorado. Sorry for any misunderstanding that may have occurred.

Dan Antonelli

Did you order Dan Antonelli's Logo Design books yet? If not go ahead. They are only $50 for the two shipped from Amazon and they will help you alot! I have had them maybe for exactly 1 week today and already have done 3 logos for customers.

From what i see, Without reading these books you will continue to do what i was doing for years and that was trying to understand logo design on your own. The majority cannot do that and these books truly help.

You have the main and sub copy in your logo. The main looks to be NEW FINISH and the sub seems to be what the business does. I think the subcopy needs to be more bold and stand out more and more basic. Too many listings going on for a logo.

You can tell more of what the business does with a basic 1-3 color graphic icon on the left side.....Listen to me talk lol

Gino, he gets like 5% royalties every time he says this. You can too! Find out how easy it is when my next book comes out!

You guys crack me up LOL. Good thing I'm a vendor here. :)

In all seriousness, it is nice to hear that the books have helped people improve their layouts. :thankyou:

itzdeb

What about some highlights on the roof, maybe a chrome effect? Something "new" looking?

just a thought, good to see you here, Dan.

Dan Antonelli

To paraphrase my good friend and idol Don Draper, consider this, and it's relevancy to your project.

“Clients don’t understand. Their success is related to standing out, not fitting in. One wants to be the needle in the haystack, not a haystack.”

Now, examine the 5 or 6 thumbnails, and tell me what all of them have in common. Then, go back and consider an approach that is unique, not the traditional 'roof, roof line, house' art. Think outside the box. Imagine what would stand out, draw attention, and be different, recognizable, and iconic. Think of the 'purple cow' effect (good read, by the way).

Obvious will never get noticed or build any real brand equity. It will, however, succeed in blending in fabulously.

signmeup

We all try to help but we know nothing about the guy who will be passing out this card. Or what he is selling. Or who he is selling it to.