• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Logo Critique

iSign

well dammit... I already sketched this out... but didn't want to have to follow Dan's logo designing tips... but like I said... already did the sketch, so here goes:

Attachments

• nf.jpg
    nf.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 93

signmeup

Doug, I was thinking of a tapering piece of roofing like you drew but with a window cut out of it. Or an end view of metal roofing as an element somehow.

Locals Find!

Afraid not Adtech, that can't be saved. Nice try however.

Its all good Sign Maniac. I have been enjoying learning how to do 3d. I been screwing around on my own with different shapes etc.. so that gave me some practice time. Was more just something different for me to try and hone my skills on. While showing something better than my original crude drawing.

The Text on that is Just way too plain even for my pedestrian tastes.

TheSellOut

well dammit... I already sketched this out... but didn't want to have to follow Dan's logo designing tips... but like I said... already did the sketch, so here goes:

That was a great post Dan and well stated!

Isign I really like what you've started and think you did exactly what Dan said! It's not the same old roof and the use of corrugated metal is synonymous with contracting, especially roofing! I wouldn't even be mad if you through a couple of screw heads in there!

Laserman you are getting some good stuff in this thread, look forward to seeing some revisions!

Addio, I'm not saying I like ya or anything but...I think it is pretty cool for one, that you understand you are not good at designing and regardless that you keep trying and posting your attemps. Practice makes...better

Hey...somebody pass that to Gino...he's chewing to the bone over there!

Last edited:

Marlene

like the idea of John's showing the edge of a metal roof. really not liking the big "N" in any form as it adds nothing to the message. the list of services is crushed to death and needs some room between each service. there's a dot but it isn't enough to break it up. the services metal roofs, siding, seemless gutters fit together but the chimney sweeping kind of gets lost as a service as it isn't expected in that list. it might work better to have the list and then add "and chimney sweeping" some how so that it stands out. some have no need for a new roof, gutters or siding but they do need the services of a chimney sweep. just something to think about

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Hey Addie....... 3D is not created by adding a second layer to something like a letter or geometric shape and then making it darker.

3D is finding your two points of perspective [your imaginary horizon line called vanishing points] and making everything that is perpendicular to that line extend to one side or the other. Adding highlights and shadows are totally optional, but not necessary.

However, doing it in computer software is quite different. The basics are the same, but software allows one to cheat and hit this key and that key and presto.... you have 3D. However, it's not always correct if you don't know the basics.

drawshadows1.gif

Locals Find!

Hey Addie....... 3D is not created by adding a second layer to something like a letter or geometric shape and then making it darker.

3D is finding your two points of perspective [your imaginary horizon line called vanishing points] and making everything that is perpendicular to that line extend to one side or the other. Adding highlights and shadows are totally optional, but not necessary.

However, doing it in computer software is quite different. The basics are the same, but software allows one to cheat and hit this key and that key and presto.... you have 3D. However, it's not always correct if you don't know the basics.

My 3d element was the roof, chimney, and smoke. I basically drew my shapes and used illustrator's 3d effects to modify them. Then tweaked em a bit to my taste. The text was just dropped shadow Garbage I through in their to incorporate the name.

signmeup

I know... it's been done to death.... but not with ridges maybe? Might spark an idea for you laserman.

Attachments

• NewFinishRoof.jpg
    NewFinishRoof.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 65

John Butto

one point

Your basic box in your drawing is one point perspective, two point would be if you drew it from the edge.

Gino

Premium Subscriber

However, doing it in computer software is quite different. The basics are the same, but software allows one to cheat and hit this key and that key and presto.... you have 3D. However,
it's not always correct if you don't know the basics.

Regardless of what you posted or did or what you think you did in your mind.... my last statement is more true now, than the first time I wrote it.

Your taste means nothing, if you don't know what you're doing.

I was actually trying to help you, but if you want to justify what you did with your silly foolheaded notions and reasons.... then forget it. I won't interfere with whatever it is you're trying to do. Look at Dan's new thread and get some pointers and leave the designing to people like him and some of the others here that know what they're doing. Some things just can't be taught to some and some are just incapable of learning as a result of their stubbornness.

Marlene

can we go back to talking about the OP's design and stop making this yet another thread all about addie?

Deaton Design

Like Adrian said, I know its been done to death, but Ill throw it in anyway.
Since he does numerous types of work, Im wondering if the corrugated metal should be the central point. If thats what he wants to push, for sure.
If not, then something more generic in the way of an icon or art to go with the copy.

Attachments

• newfinish.jpg
    newfinish.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 59