• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

nowhere else to go

wwpro

hey folks

Decided to post here as my last resource, I know you guys are straight shooters (most of you) and some just like to bull newbies ( a few of you) but I'm ready to take it either way.

My situation at the moment is just overwhelming, I just moved overseas from Big Ole' Texas to my home country, and decided to open a small shop, doing t-shirts, decals, signs and whatever I can with the equipment I have and the knowledge I've been gathering from where ever I can, but just realized that creating my OWN logo is one of the toughest tasks. :frustrated:

I want something simple, but classy, professional but not corporate looking, and the lists goes on .... I've been following advice from this board on designing B&W and there are a few concepts that I like, but couple days later I found something on them that makes me toss 'em and start over.

I have my wife looking at my scratch pad and she likes a lot of them, but she doesn't know anything about design, readability, identity and all that stuff, but on the other hand I have the basic concepts but nothing seems to help me either.

What is haunting me is the fact that I know I will use this logo screen printed, so the amount of colors is important, I'm gonna use cut vinyl to reproduce it too, so it has to look good one one color, but also not a lot of small detail to save time weeding, digital printing is not an issue.

The name of the business would be Printex (yeah I know) because I want to honor the Lone Star State, and since I live in a spanish speaking country, the name has to be easy to pronounce,even being a foreign word, for all my potential customers here.

Not really asking for help, not really venting .... maybe someone has a few minutes to spare and can create something that can inspire me, I lack talent but I compensate that with effort and dedication, so I'm pretty sure something great is gonna result of all this. I've been reading a lot of the threads here on logo design, and cannot believe how many great logos you guys post "just to give an idea" to the person looking for ideas, and that was what inspired me to post here too.

Thanks for reading this, and if you think you can come up with something I'd appreciate it whatever it is.

take care
Carlos

qmr55

It would probably help a lot if you posted your ideas/sketches. Chances of someone posting a design without seeing anything that you have tried, are slim to none. Most of the people around here will just think you are posting that story to try and get a free design from the professionals here, while that may not be true, you should at least SHOW that you have put the effort and time in to try to come up with your own ideas. Not blasting you at all, just letting you know what most people are going to think seeing this.

wwpro

Mosh , cheers ! :)

Qmr55, what you mention is correct, in both ways, that meaning I'm not trying to get anything fro free, maybe just inspiration or a path to follow, and also I should show something which I will do for sure so you can see what NOT to do :)

I wanted to keep writing about my ideas, but as Mosh mentioned, my post was really long already. Lately I haven't had any time to sit down on my PC to work on any design for a decent period of time, people nagging around me (living with my wife on my parents' house), lack of comfortable space and really tired of working all day remodeling the shop, painting, electric work and so on.

Will post something later or tomorrow for sure, thanks for ready and happy hangover for you Mosh :)

wwpro

just a few of the concepts I've played with. I have to agree that they don't look like a lot of effort for most of you, but for me and under these circumstances, they took way more than what I was expecting.

I'm open to any suggestions, don't have to follow my concepts at all, it seems like I was attached to that shield shape for no reason

Attachments

• logos-BW.jpg
    logos-BW.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 119

MikePro

needs moar PrinTEX
oooor here's a freebie from google:
attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-04-24 at 12.39.43 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-04-24 at 12.39.43 AM.png
    101.9 KB · Views: 154

qmr55

I feel like I owe you something, since I originally called you out for not posting any attempts!

From the little description of your company I gathered from post one, this is what I came up with. Sticking to your "clean" look that you want, but making it have a little spark. It can also be cut in vinyl and easily screen printed. Not knowing anything about your market and location, it is tough to really judge what kind of look you want your identity to be. So for us to just "toss" designs out is going to be difficult. What you really need to do is take a little bit and research who you are targeting, what you need to do to effectively reach your target market, decide what advertising and marketing techniques you will be using to approach these markets, then you can go about working on a logo design. But since I feel I owe you a design, here is something quick to work off of. Think about creating an icon, with text to go along with your icon. The name of your company does not have to exist inside of your icon, to be effective. In fact, 90% of designers I have ever seen, can't effectively do this. My 5 minute design, here you go...

Attachments

• printex.jpg
    printex.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 132

qmr55

Or if you wanted to go the more commonly used, cmyk way for a printer logo, another quickie 5 minute job...

Attachments

• printex1.jpg
    printex1.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 92
  • printex4.jpg
    printex4.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 124

TheSnowman

Yep...sub it out. It's way easier when it's your own stuff...or heck, I sub out all my designs to Phillip, so it's always easier!

wwpro

Thanks for all the input provided. The icon idea crossed my mind, but I moved on, but I think I'm gonna have to revisit the idea.

The cmyk was ruled out at the beginning, since is widely used by offset printers mainly.
I'll keep trying and see what else I can come up with, I have to paint a few shelves today and put together my workbench, hopefully I can start putting some equipment inside the shop whitin this week.

Thanks folks !

Marlene

well, none of what you posted tells anyone what it is that you do. you are making up a word so you need to explain it no matter what the language is spoken. if you want to keep it simple, then you need a visual to help people get what it is that you do.

wwpro

Well, as you said, I think that is the main issue here, because we'll do cut vinyl, digital printing, screen printing, glass carving and a few other things, so I'm failing on how to tell what I do with a single/not complex image.

well, none of what you posted tells anyone what it is that you do. you are making up a word so you need to explain it no matter what the language is spoken. if you want to keep it simple, then you need a visual to help people get what it is that you do.

Marlene

is the screen printing tee shirt printing or sign printing? what is glass carving? pick some simple words to put under whatever you use for the logo like "signs" "tee shirts" and such as it gives people a clue and they can figure it out. it is hard with some names. I've actually made signs over the years for different people and had no clue what it was that they did as they came in with a "logo" so I just made the sign. one had a name like Blue Linx with a bunch of dots. no idea on earth what they did. just pointing it out as the name kind of says "print" but not really as there's a tex at the end and it really isn't a word.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
just a few of the concepts I've played with. I have to agree that they don't look like a lot of effort for most of you, but for me and under these circumstances, they took way more than what I was expecting.

I'm open to any suggestions, don't have to follow my concepts at all, it seems like I was attached to that shield shape for no reason

I like almost all of these, thats some good looking clean logos good job!

wwpro

thanks for the feedback, gotta work on this tonight, in the meanwhile I'll keep enjoying the fumes from the wood varnish I'm applying to some shelves :D