• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

1st Design off, window perf challenge, Astours vs. Shovelhead

Which design is your favorite?

• Design #1

Votes: 9 5.2%
  • Design #2

Votes: 164 94.8%

• Total voters

jimmysigns

#2 nice job :smile:

Attachments

• clapping.gif
    clapping.gif
    685 bytes · Views: 543

weaselboogie

I'm actually following Astours suggestion. 2 people, 2 designs, a few days to vote on the favorite.

If this isn't going anywhere, then I'll step down as head ref (who appointed me again...?) and we can start a new challenge.

My bad. I thought you self-appointed yourself.

Flame

Ok, poll closed. New challenge.

I challenge Day Sign Co. :p

Speedmedia can pick out what we have to do.

Service Sign Co

New Challenge

I'm actually following Astours suggestion. 2 people, 2 designs, a few days to vote on the favorite.

If this isn't going anywhere, then I'll step down as head ref (who appointed me again...?) and we can start a new challenge.
Wasn't me. I think it's a good idea to use your brain under pressure,Don't really see much participation. I bet if members contributed to an entry fee there would be a lot more,but I'm sure Fred is too busy for that

RedWolf

I know that the poll is closed, yet have to comment a little bit. I think both need some work. Most have commented about design 1 and not much about the 2nd.

I think the second looks fine for the most part, yet somehow I remember the "wing" type of thing on a motorcycle logo, perhaps Victory or some new American motorcycle manufacturer. My suggestion is a bullbozer blade appearing as if it is pushing the logo forward instead of the wing thing on there. Just my thoughts.

Now for the 1st. The text needs some adjustment.

The one thing I think design 1 has that lacks in the 2nd design is the phone number. Is everybody that see the truck going to have to wait till they get home to look the number up in order to call them? I guess they could try to get them to pull over while going down the freeway. I think the best way is to provide a number on the graphic for potential customers to contact the business. Remember the guy wanted only the back of the window done, nothing on the sides so the back is the only way to have a phone number showing. A big part of advertising your business is for the customer to be able to contact you for work, right?

My choice #1 because the number is included. Needs work though.

Last edited:

KR3signguy

Sweet design shovel!
I'm impressed.

Two men entered, one man left.
Who runs Bartertown?

I believe the design off should be a permenant once a week battle.
Lots of fun.

Ken

#2 did not get the perimeter configuration right. Also cant read the little text..and no phone number.
The interior graphics within the circle are very nice. And the footprints are cool, but unecessary, distracting from the message.
#1 Filled the requirements of the exercise so I would be voting there.
Ken

Service Sign Co

#2 did not get the perimeter configuration right. Also cant read the little text..and no phone number.
The interior graphics within the circle are very nice. And the footprints are cool, but unecessary, distracting from the message.
#1 Filled the requirements of the exercise so I would be voting there.
Ken
It's quite easy to critique after the fact,I'm sure the footprints weren't simply clipart(that I know of) Actually clipart shouldn't be allowed period for design work. If I were the customer, you can bet I would be P.O'd if artwork that I paid for utilized clipart. Not to discourage the use of it, but, no add agency in their right mind would utilize this method. So for future reference to contest's (if it happens) all images should be ones own.

Ken

I disagree with banning clipart from any design, here or in the field. Properly used, it can save your client some money and us some time.
Ken

Service Sign Co

Sure it can save local businesses extra cost's. What about having it repeated in your town,I know the chances are slim with the amount of work available. If you charge for your design work(which many don't) Should you run that risk? I'm not saying Ban Clipart,mainly when should it be used if at all? Unless requested

Ken

Yeah, you know I have the Vector art mega collection #1..I think i've used those images maybe 10 times over 4 years. I, or the client, will look thru it and..well...it's just not right. But they are modifiable( is that a word?..lol) as to color and removing unwanted parts. Any time spent modifying that is actually billed as design time.
Ken

RedWolf

It's quite easy to critique after the fact,I'm sure the footprints weren't simply clipart(that I know of) Actually clipart shouldn't be allowed period for design work. If I were the customer, you can bet I would be P.O'd if artwork that I paid for utilized clipart. Not to discourage the use of it, but, no add agency in their right mind would utilize this method. So for future reference to contest's (if it happens) all images should be ones own.

Not cutting on shovel's work if he happened to actually create the total image. The footprint I can see as being original, yet what about the construction equipment used on his design? Looks like clipart to me. Nothing wrong with clipart if used the right way and the customer is not charged for original work when getting clipart. Just my thoughts.

Ken

So, when the voting is done, can we get some insight from the creators of these designs about the methodology. I think that would be enormously helpful...anyone else think so?
Cheers!
Ken