• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3M Envision 480cv3

CSOCSO

I don't hate paint, I just overlay it.
Did anyone tried it yet? I couldn't find an existing topic for this. And I am surprised about that. Must have been looking at the wrong place.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Some of the more vocal members here have a big issue with 3M over what looks like a direct conflict of interest - setting up printed graphics fleet sales directly through auto dealerships. There is a very long thread here:
http://www.signs101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98553
The 480 was announced in the middle of this discussion so the level of enthusiasm for anything 3M branded is not what it was before.

wayne k
guam usa

CSOCSO

Not sure what to say about that thread. We love 3m. We are basically selling ourselves as "omg we only use 3m". We really do. Every vehicle wrap we do is wrapped in 180cv3. Never had a problem with the vinyl. And we do 2 to 3 vehicles a day. And the 1080 product? Love it better than anything. I would never try to wrap a ferrari in avery or oracal.
Well.. this thred is not really about how much we love 3m. I just mentioned it because of the thread you linked. Which I don't really care about...I know people who hates Toyota. Yet I would be the happiest men if I could get a toyota supra.....

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
So you are okay with your supplier (who can sell the materials for probably half your cost) directly competing with you?

Dont get me wrong. We still use 3M as well, sometimes it is simply the best material for the job and some jobs it is specified. I'm not going to stop using it but we also use probably more Oracal 3751 as well nowadays too.

On the 480 film which is the subject. Cannot say I've talked with anyone who has used it yet. I just dont see the appeal of spending so much more for the product when other products work perfectly fine at much less cost. How do you pitch that to a customer, "we would like to suggest this new material, it's unproven and really offers no realistic advantages for you the end customer but it's about 50% more expensive". Yeah that will fly....

CSOCSO

Uhm... called fellers two weeks ago and a roll of 480cv3 was $13 more than the 180cv3....... same width and 50yd I think it was around $700. So who's wrong now? Lol

HulkSmash

Uhm... called fellers two weeks ago and a roll of 480cv3 was $13 more than the 180cv3....... same width and 50yd I think it was around $700. So who's wrong now? Lol

You must pay a CRAP ton for ij180.

the 480 is at least 350 more a kit.

From what i've heard it's been a bust.. no one is going to spend the extra dough.
We love Oracle 3751. We're still using some ij180 for spec jobs, but mostly over to oracal now.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Have not priced it myself.... was just basing the much higher cost on what few posts I've seen on it. Although $700 is still quite a bit (25%ish) more than I pay for a 54"x 50yd roll of 180cv3.

anotherdog

You stop buying 3M you will force them to push the retail side of it more.
You simply create a high quality super retailer who likely will undercut you because of size.
We already have the 4overs going into signage, but they are at the crappy end. I would hate to see a shark at the other end of the pool too.

Wraptrick

A 150' roll of IJ480 runs about $710. The overlam is just over $515. That's about $100 more than a IJ180 kit. I did a partial wrap and some rims with the sample roll I got, and it is easier to install. Not to mention you can stretch it nearly 2x the IJ180.

HulkSmash

A 150' roll of IJ480 runs about $710. The overlam is just over $515. That's about $100 more than a IJ180 kit. I did a partial wrap and some rims with the sample roll I got, and it is easier to install. Not to mention you can stretch it nearly 2x the IJ180.

We have a no stretch policy here.

Wraptrick

I'm interested to see if 'No Lifting' is a legitimate claim or not. You can't avoid stretch on everything. How many bumpers have you wrapped without stretching the vinyl?

John Butto

3M told me that the new envision material is not for eco solvent, they won't warrant it, and is made for the new latex market.

CSOCSO

Omg. Guys... don't turn this into a we hate 3m don't buy it thread. I'm asking who used it what's everyones experience about this vinyl. Not the company and not other vinyl. Do you guys talk bad about prius in a tundra forum? Come on now;)
Lets keep this friendly, happy and fun.lol

CSOCSO

John thanks for the info. I did see a video where they said it was ok with some eco solvent printers.

xxaxx

We have a sample roll sitting here that I'm sure will probably never get used ... whether you want to turn it into a hate 3m thread or not, they have left a bad taste in many mouths so you probably wont see many on here that have used it very much.

John Butto

Why don't you contact 3M and get some sample rolls, and then maybe you could give us some good information after you try it out.

HulkSmash

Omg. Guys... don't turn this into a we hate 3m don't buy it thread. I'm asking who used it what's everyones experience about this vinyl. Not the company and not other vinyl. Do you guys talk bad about prius in a tundra forum? Come on now;)
Lets keep this friendly, happy and fun.lol

who said anything bad about 3m?

Cale Frederick

I don't proclaim to be the wrap expert that many on this sight are, however I would think just because the material can stretch farther, that does not mean the adhesive can stretch that much farther without weakening. I was fairly new at doing full wraps when we were using 180cv3 and I never had much luck stretching it much at all without the adhesive failing. Oracal and Avery vinyls seem to tolerate stretching much more so than any 3M I have used. Still no 3M for me though, I cringe at the thought of them not only making money off my purchase, but also the $30,000 fleet graphics job they are taking away from me... nothing happy and fun about that.

Wraptrick

To each their own. I personally have not been affected (yet) by 3M's shenanigans.

I also have never used Oracal wrap vinyl. Maybe it's time I get a bit of it in to try it out, see if you guys are just bitter or if it really is a better wrap vinyl.