• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Am I the crazy one?

ddubia

What do you do if after all that they still say "I thought it would be bigger".

Like I said in my post above yours, "In a case like that you may want to indicate on the proof the lettering size and maximum readable distance as well as the viewing distance for maximum impact." That might allow them to stand back from their door to get an idea from how far away it will have impact.

However, I've been doing proofs like the OP did for years and have never had anyone question the job after the fact as happened to the OP.

HulkSmash

Why do you guys even argue with addie? It's like talking to a clueless toddler.

As for the job your proof is acceptable. You don't charge nearly enough. I'd lose a ton of money at that price. Good luck

TXFB.INS

You had a pic of the door with the "to scale" lettering on it. I DO NOT PUT DIMENSIONS ON ANY SIGN QUOTE in the case a customer wants to share art.

as far as this case goes the only way to make letters larger is to stack them correct? Your price is too low for this job anyway you already lost do it over for free and make it up elsewhere

+1

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Rick, That's a nice sketch and definately very complete, but I think the time spent calling out every design like that would be hard to justify on many of the small jobs we are constantly doing. And the type of client who doesn't get the OPs original sketch might not do any better with all that information. What do you do if after all that they still say "I thought it would be bigger".

A door graphic is a very small job but out habit I design this way. Every job is designed this
way... kinda how I was taught I suppose. The extra few minutes is covered in the cost. I don't
have the estimate for these doors, but it's in the $150-175 each, plus install.

Gino kind of alluded to it...
Most retail and business complexes have a sign criteria usually based on the sign code.
Most cities in California limit the area you can take up in a door. Some copy/graphics are
regulated like the ISA (wheelchair guy) must be in a 6" field. I have been questioned on
size before from tenants after install, then I show them the criteria, usually the issue is solved.
If the management/owner of the building question it (and they have) I show them the criteria
and if they prefer or insist... I'll change it. If it's on the tenant dime, they get charged, if it's
on the owners dime, it's usually free or reduced cost IF there is a potential for more work...
more work meaning I still get referred to the new tenants and work on the project signage.
The return would have to be more that 1000 bucks in a year... an illuminated sign, panel
change and window graphics would cover that on the next job.

I just finished managing an install job in the San Francisco on a refurbished apartment complex.
The designer did not like the proportion on the window graphics that they designed. They were
charged for removal and reinstall. They also added more windows. This is a 300k job and I have
another 10 more apartments to work on. It just depends on the situation, on who gets it for free and
the return on you doing it. Imagine if you got in the habit of changing something for free every time
that same person in charge can't "visualize" a drawing. At some point, it's not worth it and they have
to know it's going to cost them to change their mind or their lack of understanding.

I'm currently designing a standard for 1800 business parks. Part of this is making sure no property
manager deviates from this standard. It's not going to stop some rogue manager or sign shop from
messing with the standard, but personal taste is something I can't anticipate when developing a
standard. Since I am the designer for every complex, it will be interesting to see how 300 managers
handle these change-outs. But if window graphics are going to get in the way of 25k in monument signs
then I will be happy to oblige them after conferring with the corporate office.

Last edited:

hansman

Most people wouldnt touch something like this for 50 bucks. I personally would not even think of doing something similar for this low. Its a shame as this is the state of most industries today. I really think it depends where you are, currently in San Fran you could probably charge what you want and get away with it. It is a gold rush of sorts with all the dot com millionaires floating around (twitter, f~book, etc.) trying to find a place to live. Heck an average size 3 br home is about 8-900k if you can find one!

Ahhh never mind.......Maybe I am straying off topic here!
As you were LOL!

GypsyGraphics

This is how it's done in our studio... even a girl can do it!
(boy am I gonna get it)
Not saying everyone should do it this way. I think when dealing with muggles (non-design folk) you give them enough information to approve the proof with the least pain as possible.

"This is how it's done in our studio... even a girl can do it!"

obviously!
BECAUSE A GIRL DID DO THAT!